aberdeen-music

What makes Scotland yours?

Benji

tbh, that was perhaps a bit harsh, but it is the ones that do get ridiculous about it that I can't stand. I don't feel proud simply because I happened to be born in Scotland, nor do I feel proud of the achievements of anyone else just because they were born relatively close by. National pride is fine if it is pride in something that we as a nation have collectively done, or a collective attribute that we have, but I can't think of what that might be.

I feel pride in many of the things that I myself have done, but I don't see why I should feel pride if say Scotland beat somebody at football, because I had nothing to do with it. Maybe I'm weird.

You could argue that we collectively make Scotland what it is, everybody playing their part in developing our unique culture, and therefore anything positive that comes out of the country is something to be collectively proud of?

Well, you could argue it anyway..

My patriotism is mainly focussed on the national football team. I feel that my (recently restored) passion plays a part in that and I was definitely proud of our team when we beat France recently. National football unites the nation causing individuals to channel their passion into the same cause! Its truly beautiful!

I guess if you dont like football then youre not too fussed though

you are weird ;)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nationalism stinks, I agree with what Frosty has said.

I grew up in the countryside and have always felt an affinity with the scotland that is earth, trees, mountains, wildlife, snowstorms, rivers, lochs, the sea and so on. These things and my intimate youthful experiences of them are what tie me to this place and why I call it home. I've no right to have pride in these things, because they don't belong to me, I'm just glad to have grown up in relative isolation in such a powerfully inspirational natural environment, the depth of meaning it has for me is something which is very difficult to express.

Football and the people who follow it disgust me, along with the other ornaments of scottish nationalism. These things are all part of an ugly proletarian culture which I find offensive and deeply embarassing, as someone who has to admit to being scottish when dealing with people from other parts of the world.

The scots I admire are the scientists, the inventors, the pioneers which the country has produced over the last 200 years, not some knuckle head football or rugby player.

Nationalism stinks, I agree with what Frosty has said.

I grew up in the countryside and have always felt an affinity with the scotland that is earth, trees, mountains, wildlife, snowstorms, rivers, lochs, the sea and so on. These things and my intimate youthful experiences of them are what tie me to this place and why I call it home. I've no right to have pride in these things, because they don't belong to me, I'm just glad to have grown up in relative isolation in such a powerfully inspirational natural environment, the depth of meaning it has for me is something which is very difficult to express.

Football and the people who follow it disgust me, along with the other ornaments of scottish nationalism. These things are all part of an ugly proletarian culture which I find offensive and deeply embarassing, as someone who has to admit to being scottish when dealing with people from other parts of the world.

The scots I admire are the scientists, the inventors, the pioneers which the country has produced over the last 200 years, not some knuckle head football or rugby player.

What if you're a scientist who plays football? Do the two cancel each other out and the person just becomes a non-entity?

I dont really see the difference. I agree with you on the nature of Scotland, but just because someone was born on one side of a line then went and made something is no reason for me to feel proud.

What the fucks a border? An imaginary line, one which I refuse to base my loyalty/attention/pride on either side of.

What makes us Scottish. Gaidhlic should be in there, but thats gonna be fucking dead soon, so I guess........nothing.

having spent a quarter of my life in scotland the pros outweigh the cons, its a wonderful country (especially the highlands) and i always felt i was welcomed as an 'honoury english cunt'. looking forward to rediscovering my roots in east anglia in the new year mind, i guess i was always destined to end up back in lovejoy land at some point!

the whole british isles concept is the most fucked up on earth. i mean great britain is england, scotland and wales, the UK is england, scotland, wales and northern ireland. and the british isles includes the republic of ireland and wee outlets like the channel islands and the isle of man.

thing is england is many tribes within one country, geordies, mancunians, scousers and the cornish are all classed as english but are all very different people. people some 20 miles north of cambridge from the fens are completely different to people from cambridge.

in conclusion i take people for who they are not where they're from.

thing is england is many tribes within one country, geordies, mancunians, scousers and the cornish are all classed as english but are all very different people. people some 20 miles north of cambridge from the fens are completely different to people from cambridge.

in conclusion i take people for who they are not where they're from.

All people from some 20 miles north of Cambridge are different from all people from Cambridge - ???

having spent a quarter of my life in scotland the pros outweigh the cons, its a wonderful country (especially the highlands) and i always felt i was welcomed as an 'honoury english cunt'. looking forward to rediscovering my roots in east anglia in the new year mind, i guess i was always destined to end up back in lovejoy land at some point!

Good god, what do you want to come back here for? Anglia Soccer Review has to be truly the worst football programme ever :(

Good god, what do you want to come back here for? Anglia Soccer Review has to be truly the worst football programme ever :(

ha ha anglia soccer review still on the go??? years ago anglia had the worst commentator ever a chap called gerry harrison.

why am i going back? practical reasons such as being nearer to my ageing parents..... still u do live in essex (whereabouts exactly?) not something i'd do meself!

Guest Tam o' Shantie
tbh, that was perhaps a bit harsh, but it is the ones that do get ridiculous about it that I can't stand. I don't feel proud simply because I happened to be born in Scotland, nor do I feel proud of the achievements of anyone else just because they were born relatively close by. National pride is fine if it is pride in something that we as a nation have collectively done, or a collective attribute that we have, but I can't think of what that might be.

I feel pride in many of the things that I myself have done, but I don't see why I should feel pride if say Scotland beat somebody at football, because I had nothing to do with it. Maybe I'm weird.

correct.

In no particular order:

Mogwai

Aereogramme

Arab Strap

Chemikal Underground

Tennents Lager

Single Malts

Old Firm Clashes

Seasonal Adjustment Disorder

Naked Video

Chewin' The Fat

Still Game

Some of the cast from Absolutely

Supporting any team that plays against England

Ian Banks

Ian Rankin

Christopher Brookmyre

Oor Wullie

The Broons

The Beano

Electric Soup

The MacBam Brothers

Deep-fried confectionery, pizzas, and other foods

Haggis, neeps and tatties

Skirlie

Good List, but wheres Irn Bru and Taggart?