aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Read The Hunger Games, after getting a voucher from work (the whole trilogy was only £6). I couldn't put it down, and managed to read all three in as many days. Can't wait for the film now :)

Just away to start The Bloodstone Papers by Glen Duncan. I love Duncan's stuff so far - having read A Day and a night and a day, I, Lucifer and The Last Werewolf. He's a dirty bugger of a writer, and treats taboo subjects as if they're simple, everyday occurrences (which I guess, they are). I'll admit it's a bit slow going at the moment, but it's only the first few pages and I haven't really given it my full attention.

Can't wait until Trudi Canavan's next book comes out :D

Finished 'Half Blood Blues'.

It's about a bunch of jazz musicians living in Berlin who are forced to flee from the Gestapo to Paris during the second world war. Their 20 year old genius trumpet player is captured and the story chronicles the build-up to that and also the life of his bandmates fifty years after the event.

It was pretty good and easy to read, but I thought the ending was a little dull.

Not sure what to read now. I've been given books one and two of Murakami's 1Q84 which looks alright, but am not sure if it's the kind of thing I'm in the mood to read. New resolution is that I'm not allowed to buy any more books until I've read two that I already own. I've hidden the majority of my books in a cupboard and now my bookcase only contains the books I've still to read. There's over sixty there but I don't knooow...

Just read Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut. I realise that I talk about him with the same regularity you've come to expect Jake to talk about his bowel movements so sorry for bringing him up again. My awesome girlfriend got me a gigantic, epic, biography of him by Charles Cross for Xmas so I'm attempting to read as much of his novels so that I enjoy the bio more, get more references to his work, y'dig? Onto Player Piano later today, I think.

Anyway, back to Mother Night. Written as a biography of an American who broadcasted in Germany for the Nazis, but was actually communicating hidden messages back to the Americans. It's brilliant, with quite grim/black humour and morals. On the back of the book the Observer describes him as a 'brilliant, wacky, ideas monger' and I can't think of a much better description. So many ideas, and messages, and meanings without being trite or pretentious or difficult to read. Really funny too.

Once I get over this resurgence of Vonnegut love I'm gonna tackle Richard Brautigan. Any recommendations? Already read Trout Fishing.

Revenge of the Lawn. Stock answer but it's such an excellent collection of stories.

I'm reading Freakonomics. It's one part interesting, one part entertaining, one part silly. Pretty light on content but a worthwhile read. An easy enough way of getting into deeper economic subjects, I suppose.

Recently read Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt. Memoir of a childhood growing up in abject poverty and catholic confusion in Brooklyn and then Limerick in the 1930s/40s. As well as being a good read it gave me the expression “I couldn’t give a fiddler’s fart” which I’m now introducing to my everyday speech.

I’m now reading A Week in December by Sebastian Faulks and am thoroughly enjoying it.

• Upvote 1

After enjoying Survivor I picked up Chuck Palahniuk's Invisible Monsters last week in a second hand bookshop for a few quid. I love a bit of the Chuck. Currently I'm having another go at Lisey's Story by Stephen King. I'm a big fan of King, I've read most of his books but I found this one horribly difficult to read last time I tried, and the main character is a knob. I've been told it's worth sticking with and gets really good later on so will try and stick it out this time.

Reading Michael Azerrad's "Our Band Could Be Your Life" just now. It's a chronicle of underground American music in the Reagan years. Thirteen chapters on thirteen great bands. Black Flag, Minutemen, Minor Threat, Sonic Youth, Big Black, Fugazi, Mission of Burma, Mudhoney and more. Tremendously inspiring.

Today I read 'Tancredi' by James Palumbo as I didn't know what else to go for. It started off okay, but after the first twenty pages or so, it just got awful. It's only 170 pages in total though, so I felt the need to continue with it. It's allegedly a satire on short-termism, but it's just an embarrassing and obvious mess of half-formed ideas. I actually felt like I'd lost a few braincells after having read it. Avoid.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Dennis Lehane's 'The Given Day'. It centres around a black man and an Irish Boston police office in 1919 following the end of the war. Its all about the police strike that happened and other general commie nonsense. Its absolutely fucking brilliant. 700 pages but well worth it.

Finished Lehane's 'Shutter Island' a week or so back as well, which is what made me read 'The Given Day'. It was also very very good. Never saw the movie, but from what I gather, they made it more of an action movie than the book suggests.

As for current, think I'm about to dive into some Ellory, possibly The Black Dahlia.

Just finished Dennis Lehane's 'The Given Day'. It centres around a black man and an Irish Boston police office in 1919 following the end of the war. Its all about the police strike that happened and other general commie nonsense. Its absolutely fucking brilliant. 700 pages but well worth it.

Finished Lehane's 'Shutter Island' a week or so back as well, which is what made me read 'The Given Day'. It was also very very good. Never saw the movie, but from what I gather, they made it more of an action movie than the book suggests.

As for current, think I'm about to dive into some Ellory, possibly The Black Dahlia.

I've read all of Lehane's books apart from the most recent "Moonlight Mile" which is waiting on the shelf. The two you've read are different than most of his work as the others are all essentially crime fiction/murder mystery. The Kenzie and Gennarro series are well worth a look and you should read them chronologically, as is Mystic River. The film of "Shutter Island" would probably have been enjoyable and suspenseful had I not already known the story and the big twist (which I thought was stupid in the book but they did quite well in the film).

The Black Dahlia (by Ellroy, not Ellory who is also a crime writer) is great :-)

I recently read 'Lucky Jim' by Kingsley Amis having been given it as a gift and constantly asked if I'd read it yet. I struggled with the first chapter to get into his writing style and humour but once I was in I was laughing my arse off. A great comedy novel.

I am now reading "Alone in Berlin" by Hans Fallada and it is, so far, the most enjoyable book I've read in years. I said I'd do stuff today but wish I hadn't because I just want to read it.

I am now reading "Alone in Berlin" by Hans Fallada and it is, so far, the most enjoyable book I've read in years. I said I'd do stuff today but wish I hadn't because I just want to read it.

Recommended to anyone who likes to read books. I didn't know anything about Hans Fallada, quite an interesting character: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Fallada

Terrifying, gripping, emotional, educational, exciting and all the best things! The only thing that slightly spoilt it for me was that the chapter titles gave away what was about to happen which ruined some of the suspense. "The death of so and so". I didn't see that coming - could you not have just let me gasp in horror?

Now reading Kazuo Ishiguro's "When we were orphans". Not a lot happening so far but his writing is beautiful and flowing. Books are great.

Recommended to anyone who likes to read books. I didn't know anything about Hans Fallada, quite an interesting character: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Fallada

Terrifying, gripping, emotional, educational, exciting and all the best things! The only thing that slightly spoilt it for me was that the chapter titles gave away what was about to happen which ruined some of the suspense. "The death of so and so". I didn't see that coming - could you not have just let me gasp in horror?

Now reading Kazuo Ishiguro's "When we were orphans". Not a lot happening so far but his writing is beautiful and flowing. Books are great.

Alone in Berlin sounds really good! Sounds like he had a pretty crazy life too!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Ellroy not Ellory's 'The Black Dahlia'. Excellent read. Though, in saying that, have to say it is a thoroughly disturbing piece of work. Not a novel for the faint of heart. The last 40 pages or so were especially grotesque.

Hasn't put me off mind. Now planning to make my way through his LA Quartet and start 'The Big Nowhere' the morn.

Geektastically, all of that Song of Ice and Fire aka Game of Thrones: The Books, all in the space of a month. More ace than anything bearing the 'F' tag ever could be, Lord of the Dirty Machiavellian Feudal Dragon Lords, yeah, I'm well late to that party, but at least that cuts down my wait for the next batch. Hurry up ye old bass etc...

• Upvote 1