aberdeen-music

italian restaurants

Graham

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That wee cunt needs his chins (he has several) rattled. Quite possibly the rudest individual on the planet. He thinks he's funny - our panel says...."NO".

I took my mum (who's Italian) there for lunch one day. She was unimpressed with his slop and thought that Carmine was playing to a "Greasy New York Wop" stereotype.

Having said all that, he has provided some priceless amusement over the years. Like the time he went ballistic at my mate Big Tam for the heinous crime of putting parmesan cheese in the flavour-free bowl of insipid pish that Carmine was passing off as "Minestrone"...

"Hey-a, why-a the fuck-a you doing that? you-a ruin-a the flavour", to which Large Thomas replied "It's goat nae fuckehhhhn taste ya wee Tally basturt..." and so forth.

All to the utter bewilderment of some middle-aged Scandinavians who only wanted a sit-doon and cup of coffee!

Yes - got to Carmines. The food is shite, but the laughs are fantastic.

I went there once and never went back. It was a lunch time so maybe a different affair but the wee guy was "too much-a in-a ma face-a". I remember thinking he'd just opened a tin-a tomatoes and-a poured it on-a pasta and called it-a something Italiano.

I think you can take your own swally in there though, that's quite exciting.

• 3 months later...
I love this banal banter on this kinda subject...it rules!!

Come to my house, I've only eaten pasta all week...it never bores me.

That dried egg pasta you get in Marks n spencer if I'm ever in (lack of shops in heart of city centre) is good....But yeah, Rusticos is good.

I'll be round shortly - Red or White?

Shall I bring a DVD?

Hagen Daz?

:laughing:

rusticos was pretty average the time i went, not really the most authentic and flavoursome italian food around.

poldinos is incredibly average food, are let down by the bland sauces and poor cooking technique. Last meal i had there consisted of a Rare rossini style fillet steak, not even seared, more like a big lump of wobbly meat and bland pate using pretty rubbish livers. Saying that though, they actually make an authentic (pungent yet rich and tasty!!) carbonara pasta if that is your thing, which is very nice.

the standard of restaurants in aberdeen has been poor for years, however the last 3/4 years or so, many have upped the ante.

moonfish cafe (few years back) used to be an incredible seafood experience, very very fresh, high quality ingredients, lots of flavours, precision cooking. although i hear they changed head chef a few years back and it isnt as good.

bistro verde/la bonne are both excellent restaurants, with a seafood twist. these two (plus moonfish) owned by same guy, great quality produce and expertly cooked. lots of interesting flavours and ideas. and to think la bonne used to be a baguette place...now it is an excellent wee treat and very cheap for the quality of meal.

id also reccomend olive tree, sai-gon, silver darling (if ye can afford it), the foyer, les amis, nasma tandoori

rusticos was pretty average the time i went, not really the most authentic and flavoursome italian food around.

poldinos is incredibly average food, are let down by the bland sauces and poor cooking technique. Last meal i had there consisted of a Rare rossini style fillet steak, not even seared, more like a big lump of wobbly meat and bland pate using pretty rubbish livers. Saying that though, they actually make an authentic (pungent yet rich and tasty!!) carbonara pasta if that is your thing, which is very nice.

the standard of restaurants in aberdeen has been poor for years, however the last 3/4 years or so, many have upped the ante.

moonfish cafe (few years back) used to be an incredible seafood experience, very very fresh, high quality ingredients, lots of flavours, precision cooking. although i hear they changed head chef a few years back and it isnt as good.

bistro verde/la bonne are both excellent restaurants, with a seafood twist. these two (plus moonfish) owned by same guy, great quality produce and expertly cooked. lots of interesting flavours and ideas. and to think la bonne used to be a baguette place...now it is an excellent wee treat and very cheap for the quality of meal.

id also reccomend olive tree, sai-gon, silver darling (if ye can afford it), the foyer, les amis, nasma tandoori

That's a pretty in-depth appraisal.

You must be one gutsy bastard :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I went to Rustico's last night with the family. Was tasty good. Ciao Napoli is also excellent.

Must have missed you, I was in at 8.30 with some office guests. Had the Linguini Marinara, it was pretty tasty but there were a bit too many empty shells left on my plate by the end of it. I f you haven't been to Ciao Napoli for a while I would be wary of returning - since late last summer they have gone WAY downhill. The menu has changed completely, the quality of the food is average, and the service is appalling.

Must have missed you, I was in at 8.30 with some office guests. Had the Linguini Marinara, it was pretty tasty but there were a bit too many empty shells left on my plate by the end of it. I f you haven't been to Ciao Napoli for a while I would be wary of returning - since late last summer they have gone WAY downhill. The menu has changed completely, the quality of the food is average, and the service is appalling.

Yeah we had left by 8ish. My dad had the king prawn and monkfish skewer that I had a taste of and was utterly delicious. My youngest sis told us later she'd pinched some parmesan from the parmesan bowl that was lying unattended near the service area. Nice and hygenic.

Haven't actually been to Ciao Napoli in about a year. If it's as bad as you say it is, I'm fucking gutted.

In terms of non-Italian restaurants, the last time I was in La Boheme on Windmill Brae the food was amazing. Pricey, but amazing.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Haven't actually been to Ciao Napoli in about a year. If it's as bad as you say it is, I'm fucking gutted.

I have been twice since the change, once for dinner and once for lunch. The service last time was terrible, they knocked over a glass of water onto my friend and didn't apologise, got us black coffees when we asked for white, and when we pointed it out to the waiter/manager, he came back 2 mins later, put a jug of milk on the corner of the table and walked off again without a word. I wasn't too impressed with the food last night at Rusty's compared to the usual standard but it was still enjoyable...pity I had a good dose of the ol' parmasan on my spaghetti ?(

yeah

Poldinos is nice and central but the food there while very nice, is incredibly filling! Both times I've only had an average portion and felt incredibly uncomfortable afterwards!

Avoid La Lombarda though, that place has gone seriously downhill.

Their new drive through service is appauling

Scotland on Sunday - Scotland - Aberdeen - Man arrested after restaurant crash

I have been twice since the change, once for dinner and once for lunch. The service last time was terrible, they knocked over a glass of water onto my friend and didn't apologise, got us black coffees when we asked for white, and when we pointed it out to the waiter/manager, he came back 2 mins later, put a jug of milk on the corner of the table and walked off again without a word. I wasn't too impressed with the food last night at Rusty's compared to the usual standard but it was still enjoyable...pity I had a good dose of the ol' parmasan on my spaghetti ?(

it's ok, i don't think my sister's got anything too life-threatening. hahaha

Yeah we had left by 8ish. My dad had the king prawn and monkfish skewer that I had a taste of and was utterly delicious.

Good shout! That's my first choice when I go to Rustico - which, at the risk of being a pedantic erse, is a Mediterranean, rather than strictly Itialian restaraunt.

In terms of non-Italian restaurants, the last time I was in La Boheme on Windmill Brae the food was amazing. Pricey, but amazing.

Another good shout - my friend and band-mate Big tam (who had the ding-dong with Carmine detailed earlier in this thread) is neighbours with the owner of La Boheme (Dominic) and the guy puts his heart and soul into the place - it's his life, not merely a business.

The oner of Goulash in the Adelphi is the same.

If I was forced to eat just one type of cuisine for the rest of my life it would be Italian.

There aren't any bad Italian places in town, not that I have encountered. Although I do avoid eating in the chains.

There are lots of different styles of cooking throughout Italy, and most restaurants will be slanted towards one of these.

Here are my favourite dishes from each place, I'll try and remember the spelling where possible:

Pappagallos - chicken and mushroom lasagna. Or probably something like pollo al funghi lasgana.

Carmines - his minestrone is the best on the planet, follow it with a pizza carmine. He really excels at Napoli style pizzas. I first ate there is 1988, and that man fed me all the way through Uni. Even when I was skint he's pull me off the street and force a bowl of soup an a hot pizza into me. If there were no seats left he'd let me sit at the counter. Back then it was 1.80 for a 3 course lunch, and it hasn't gone up that much either.

Borsalino in Peterculter. Filleto Borsalino which is fillet steak with tomato and mozzarella on top. The 'Sophia Loren' is also good if you don't mind eating veal.

Panino cafe. Can't believe that nobody has mentioned this yet! Linguini alla lucculo which is prawns in a pesto sauce with thin flat pasta, parma ham, and parmesan. Been going there since Tony from Rustico used to run in back in '97. They do a good minestrone too, and their latte is the best in town.

Rustico. Mozza roccoco for starter, which is grilled peppers with mozzarlla. Can't remember the name of this dish cos I just tried it last week for the first time, but it's bascially a giant skewer of chicken breast (about 3 chickens worth), italian sausage, onion, garlic, and peppers. Think it starts with a 'P'. The only meal I've never managed to finish, and not through lack of trying. Also worth asking for a bowl of chilli and garlic olives. These are not on the menu but they'll make them.

Haven't been to anywhere else for a long time but have had good meals pretty much everywhere that serves Italian.

EDIT: no wonder I'm a fat cunt.