aberdeen-music

My Website

framheim

Maybe this should be in the feedback forum or something, not sure but i'll stick it in here just now.

I made a website yesterday, now i'm not very good at this lark but i'm quite happy with it. The aim was just to have something simple which showcases my photographs in an easy to access yet reasonably professional manner. It should also be easy to update.

My Website

Have a look and let me know what you think. There will be more galleries going up soon and the portfolio gallery will probably change as i get my better work scanned and uploaded. I'm quite happy with it though.

I like it. :up: It's nice and simple with a pleasant layout and I like how you can look through all the photos and then click back to the title page rather than having to go back through all the photos you looked at. (I doubt this happens on many sites but it does on some... like.. Bebo. Then again, you could always just use the return to index link)

But thumbnails 1 and 6 appear to be mixed up on the Faceless page...

I like it. :up: It's nice and simple with a pleasant layout and I like how you can look through all the photos and then click back to the title page rather than having to go back through all the photos you looked at. (I doubt this happens on many sites but it does on some... like.. Bebo. Then again, you could always just use the return to index link)

But thumbnails 1 and 6 appear to be mixed up on the Faceless page...

yea, i'm not sure how that's happened. they're not mixed up in the code as far as i can see. i may reupload the code for that page and see if it fixes that quirk. this website lark seems to be all about the tinkering.

thanks for your kind words though, much appreciated :)

I'll be honest here...

The band shots are very samey when compared to what other local photographers do - I would struggle to differentiate between them and yours, which to me is a bad thing. The photographs themselves are of a fine quality, it's just a personal thing that I'd love to see people really experimenting with gig photography rather than coming out with the same as others. I've no idea how you could experiment with them, but I'd love to see any efforts in that direction.

The ones in the Portfolio are very good in my opinion, especially the colour ones. I like the way the colour jumps out - but even on the black and white ones, the image is still really clear. I think they're probably my favourite ones out of the galleries and I'd especially like to see some more portrait shots.

The netball ones just do nothing for me, though I think you've captured the moment well.

I like the Catterline ones, though I wouldn't mind seeing them in colour. Maybe (given how drab the North East can be) they wouldn't work as well in colour, but...

The Faceless ones are really intriguing. I'm not sure what it is about them, maybe it's the concept, but I'm definitely going to show those to people who are really into art and photography.

All in all, I wouldn't mind seeing more :)

I'll be honest here...

The band shots are very samey when compared to what other local photographers do - I would struggle to differentiate between them and yours, which to me is a bad thing. The photographs themselves are of a fine quality, it's just a personal thing that I'd love to see people really experimenting with gig photography rather than coming out with the same as others. I've no idea how you could experiment with them, but I'd love to see any efforts in that direction.

The ones in the Portfolio are very good in my opinion, especially the colour ones. I like the way the colour jumps out - but even on the black and white ones, the image is still really clear. I think they're probably my favourite ones out of the galleries and I'd especially like to see some more portrait shots.

The netball ones just do nothing for me, though I think you've captured the moment well.

I like the Catterline ones, though I wouldn't mind seeing them in colour. Maybe (given how drab the North East can be) they wouldn't work as well in colour, but...

The Faceless ones are really intriguing. I'm not sure what it is about them, maybe it's the concept, but I'm definitely going to show those to people who are really into art and photography.

All in all, I wouldn't mind seeing more :)

fair points. the netball ones were for a sports assignment at college, i'm not hugely into sports photography but i thought i did a good job and it would show some versatility to future employers. also there's two in there that i'd include in any collection of my photo's. the wide shot of the two girls chasing the ball and the shot of the girl 'floating' across the floor.

as for the band shots, it's again something i'm not hugely experienced with but i just bought a new digital camera so hopefully i'll be getting more practice in. i've got some good ones of copy haho that i'll upload to the portfolio section at some point where i was playing with double exposures. worked really well and i'll be doing it more i think.

it's quite clear you prefer colour to black and white, which again is fair. personally i much prefer black and white but sometimes a shot needs to be in colour and colour can just add that extra dimension to a photo. the catterline ones were originally going to be a mixture but once i started shooting in black and white i had no intention of shooting any colour, they were just working too well in b+w.

the faceless ones were originally brought about not through any high concept but because phil wouldn't let me stick up a picture of him and rob from maps on our myspace(he's shy, bless) so i was like "well i'll just take your face out of it then" and it looked really cool :)

thanks for some honest critique, i like all feedback and the points were fair if a tad subjective. keep em coming :)

nice to see no ones criticised the design of the site as well, is it all loading fine and easy enough to navigate yea?

These days photography sites are becoming more and more simple.

People get bored easily as they want to see the images quickly. Your initial site loads a little bit slow but its easy to navigate and the thumbnails load up in a decent time.

Your photos are very good, without a doubt my favourite images are of Catterline. Maybe try some in Sepia for that old fashioned look? Dunno. Im undecided about the faceless pics.

All in all, it is the photos that should do the talking and you have delivered. :up:

My site is a pile of plop (working on a new one):laughing:

These days photography sites are becoming more and more simple.

People get bored easily as they want to see the images quickly. Your initial site loads a little bit slow but its easy to navigate and the thumbnails load up in a decent time.

Your photos are very good, without a doubt my favourite images are of Catterline. Maybe try some in Sepia for that old fashioned look? Dunno. Im undecided about the faceless pics.

All in all, it is the photos that should do the talking and you have delivered. :up:

My site is a pile of plop (working on a new one):laughing:

cool, thanks hog. i appreciate your feedback as a working pro(and a very talented one at that).

i'm going to be tweaking it here and there over the next couple of weeks to try and improve load up times and design aspects(doesn't look as good in ie as in firefox). is it the background picture that's slowly the index page down? i'll maybe lower the resolution on that a bit.

from a website perspective, it is so simple and to the point it can't be flawed, totally effective for what your meaning to do.

Only thing i'd do is change the 'visited link' colour on the home page as it gets lost in the backround image. Apart from that, all is well!

Guest bluesxman

Simple to use and does what it says on the tin, I like it. I really like the Catterline pics as they are but then I love B&W photography personally. And my baldy heed even makes an appearance, sheesh o_O