aberdeen-music

aberdeen's music scene

ultra-violent

This is mainly addressed to Rune and Stripey:

You have rather obscure tastes in music compared to the vast majority of people in the music community in Aberdeen (though i'm sure there are some cross dalliances by a few people here and there). Unfortunatley businesses, like music promotion, cater for the majority (rightly so) which leaves you, the minority, lacking in gigs etc that meet your musical needs. This means that you have to travel further afield to meet up in larger population densities with folks who are interested in the same musical genres than yourselves.

Now, if you two were really keen on convincing people that the music you listen to is new, bold, fresh (insert applicable tag here) then surely the most logical step is for you to bring that music to the general public, who in Aberdeen are actually quite receptive. Now any idiot can put on a gig but it takes someone who has a bit of passion to actually promote a gig and make people come along, see Shaz/Maxi/Jamesy for reference. Whats wrong with you guys getting your proverbial fingers out of your arses and drawing some of the acts YOU like to Aberdeen, putting them on and help to spread the word about the diversity and interest that is growing within the Aberdeen Music scene.

Rather than embracing the negative aspects of a scene where you feel like you're under-represented, why not increase the diversity of the Aberdeen scene by actually laying some foundations yourselves. I'm pig sick of hearing you two especially whinge on about 'shite music this, shite music that, blah blah blah'. Let actions speak louder than words and fight for what you want out of the scene by working with it rather than against it.

I looked around the web for an appropriate round of applause but no joy. Hope this sentence does the job.

Jim

The original poster of the comment didn't say check out GC guide for absolutely everything that is going on musically in Aberdeen, he was making a point that it is a good place to "see the diverse bands and music you can see in a month. There is a large list of Aberdeen bands on the site......". He was pointing out it is a good place to look for Aberdeen bands, relevant (if anything is) to this thread.

Are Cephalic Carnage even an Aberdeen band? If so I'm sure you'll catch them again. :up:

But this site does list bands that are outside of aberdeen, the rifles for one

Constructive and good post :)

I am glad you can bring a constructive reply to this thread, thus proving their is intelligence on this board

Glad you agreed with Alkaline. We'll wait until you (and Stripey if he's interested) "increase the diversity of the Aberdeen scene by actually laying some foundations yourselves" and I'll see you back here in a while when it will be high fives all round for the magic that we've all created in harmony. And thus the thread was closed...

Constructive and good post :)

I am glad you can bring a constructive reply to this thread, thus proving their is intelligence on this board

That'd be why you don't have a reply to it then?

I'm with Alkaline, do something or shut up. If you think everyone involved in the Aberdeen scene is an idiot, show them the error of their ways and bring them up to speed with yourself. There are plenty people here who'll at least give anything going a chance, and if your music is as good as you make out, they'll come and see it.

Why do I feel like everyone including me is repeating themself so much?

And I assume you are basing that observation on the shit you read on this message board....?

Sorry but this is an age old argument, if the band entertain then the punters will stay to watch, people going to a gig are not obliged to stay for the bands they dont like or have never heard of...bands have to earn the interest of the paying punters.

I believe that Aberdeen has a healthy scene which is more to do with the facilities we have, its a lot better than many cities of comparible size.

thank you mister graeme c now we have a reasonable civilised (iknow the idiot comment was hardly civilised) post, i know that bands need to earn the right to have a crowd but some people just aren't willing to listen to bands they have never heard of be it through lack of enthusiasm/interest in new bands or whatever i don't know.

you are correct i am going mostly on what i see on these forums to say that there is alot of bitching.

it isnt the bands or the facilities that i feel is lacking its the attitude and absence of camaraderie between bands and gig goers alike that i feel needs working on there doesnt seem to be the "feel" of a scene more like every band/artist trying to get one up on the other bands and artists that are going around.

What the site that didnt list cephalic carnage playing aberdeen?

Must the gig due to their listings

Don't you mean "What the site that the promoters of cephalic carnage failed to inform, even though the listings are free and they'd be delighted to include the gig"

"Missed the gig due to their laziness/ineptitude"

I also trawl the internet at least once a week looking for gigs. If Cephalic Carnage wasn't listed, it's a fair bet it wasn't very well promoted on the internet, after all, you couldn't find it.

We called it a Guide for a reason.

The Local Band scene in Aberdeen is massive but not too many major bands play here. Shame that but I might see DeathStars on the 7th of November.

Major bands that have played Aberdeen in the last few months (looking through the granite city guide):

Razorlight

We Are Scientists

Ed Harcourt

Keane

Napalm Death

John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers

The View

Journey South

(these were all in the last week)

Hed PE

Sandi Thom

The Kooks

Graham Coxon

Sparklehorse

The Automatic

Sikth

Paulo Nutini

Goo Goo Dolls

Alabama 3

The Datsuns

Bert Jansch

Inspiral Carpets

You're right, it's shit.

What the site that didnt list cephalic carnage playing aberdeen?

Must the gig due to their listings

Read in the context of the thread, I was only pointing out to someone that there is a lot of diverse music on in Aberdeen and looking at something like the GC guide is useful. There is a large list of bands on this site with links to their website/myspace allowing you to hear what they sound like, which is nice. I'm really sorry you missed a gig because it wasn't listed, I'm sure that if it wasn't in the GC guide, it wasn't anywhere else either.

It was unfortunately, it was posted on here 9 days before the gig, which was also the first day of my holiday.

In that case, it was somewhere that is also very accessable so there should have been no problem - I'm sure Rune looks at the gig diary and gig anouncments on this site as well, just to cover all bases.

:laughing:

this isnt a thread about the gc or whatever but the reasonit probably didnt list them wa because they were supporting darkest hour and also yes its a bit of a foolish name.

The GC Guide would still have listed it even as a support if we'd been given the information, the Guide isnt stuck ina specific type of music and we're happy to include anything thats put onthe website, again if it wasnt it it wasnt submitted, it surprises me there are still people who dont use the free lsitings guide, seems a pretty good thing to me :)

Cheers

Stuart

The GC Guide would still have listed it even as a support if we'd been given the information, the Guide isnt stuck ina specific type of music and we're happy to include anything thats put onthe website, again if it wasnt it it wasnt submitted, it surprises me there are still people who dont use the free lsitings guide, seems a pretty good thing to me :)

Cheers

Stuart

i meant that you probably had darkest hour in there but nobody had told you the support bands but aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnny way thisis all off topic now.

That'd be why you don't have a reply to it then?

I'm with Alkaline, do something or shut up. If you think everyone involved in the Aberdeen scene is an idiot, show them the error of their ways and bring them up to speed with yourself. There are plenty people here who'll at least give anything going a chance, and if your music is as good as you make out, they'll come and see it.

Why do I feel like everyone including me is repeating themself so much?

You try working 16 hour days then and then try to promote the aberdeen scene and get back to me eh? Everyone is entitled to an opinion but you dont think so, thats very ignorant. I didnt state everyone was an idiot only the ones who post nonsense that didnt relate to this thread. You think that has a place in this forum? Believe me i have tried introducing new bands on this forum and had little or no feedback, surely you must of seen the way new sounds on this board get very little feedback?

You try working 16 hour days then and then try to promote the aberdeen scene and get back to me eh? Everyone is entitled to an opinion but you dont think so, thats very ignorant. I didnt state everyone was an idiot only the ones who post nonsense that didnt relate to this thread. You think that has a place in this forum? Believe me i have tried introducing new bands on this forum and had little or no feedback, surely you must of seen the way new sounds on this board get very little feedback?

I work full-time and promote my band and occassionally promote shows too. It's not hard to do it if thats what you want to do.

And for the record here is not the best place to introduce new bands, its ok for promoting gigs but don't expect to rack up millions of replies to your threads- though people do actually check out stuff on here. As much as it pains me to say it, myspace and its kin are very useful tools for promoting and nothing beats getting off your arse and standing outside a club (moshulu par example) and handing out flyers for your gigs etc.