aberdeen-music

Music for when you shuffle off that mortal coil.....

lord summerisle

Funeral Music

This thread isn't meant to be morbid and certainly not distasteful in view of what happened yesterday afternoon on Union Street, but I just wondered if anyone's considered what music they might want to go out on. Lady Summerisle was asking me the other day about important stuff like what I might want put on my "Last Will and Testament" etc (she's not planning to do me in, I hope!), and it got me thinking about how I'd orchestrate my own funeral service. No offence to the good Lady, but I'd hate for someone else to put together a completely unsuitable one for me. Now being a good Pagan boy I'm not going to go for a church service or anything like that, but I told her I wanted the following four pieces played when I go. These are:

Swervedriver - "Last Day On Earth" (truly a greatly-underrated band)

Beach Boys - "Til I Die" leading into "Surf's Up" (from the 1971 album "Surf's Up").

Vastly superior to the early stuff.

and finally....

Henry Purcell - "When I Am Laid In Earth" (Dido's Lament) (from the 17th century opera "Dido and Aeneas")

I know it sounds pretentious, but so what! I like classical music too, and this piece actually sounds quite contemporary.

So get going, you lot! Let's see your suggestions - either that or nobody'll respond to my comments (as usual) or I'll get dog's abuse!

Bad Luck Blue Eyes, Goodbye" by the Black Crowes.

'Grinding Bones' by Puerto Muerto.

'The Great Gig in the Sky' by Pink Floyd - especially for the spoken "I'm not frightened of dying, any time will do I don't mind" bit. (spoken by the doorman at Abbey Rd studios. FROSTYFACT)

Then you can all file out, sobbing, to 'Closing Time' by Tom Waits.

I think I'll leave my funeral music to my family and friends. They should choose music that reminds them of me, not what I think sums me up best.

Hell, not like I'm going to be listening to it.

I'd suggest playing something by John Martyn at the end though. Maybe Go Down Easy, which is ironic, because I'm getting toasted.

something upbeat and happy, some might say to match the mood of some people gathering to make sure i was actually gone ;)

but nah the last thing i would want would be church hymns or anything like that, i'm a believer in a funeral being a celebration of life rather than a mourning of death.

Fatboy Slim - Fucking in Heaven. One of my friends is going to have to shout "Al" everytime it says "Slim".

Myself and one of my mates have a bet going as to who's vice is going to kill them first, my love of snacks or his love of smokes. The winner gets to tap dance on the other ones grave. I'm actually going to write this into my will if I ever get round to making one.

Guest DustyDeviada
First person to say Atmosphere by Joy Division gets slapped in the balls.

Golden Slumbers/The End from Abbey Road, then We'll Meet Again by Johnny Cash from American IV. Wouldn't mind getting the theme to Local Hero in somewhere as well, but I better leave some time for people to speak about how much they loved me. ;)

I always joked about having 'Cadaveric Incubator of Endo-Parasites' by Carcass being played at my funeral if I were to be buried.

As I'd much rather be cremated none of my choices involve fire or flames funnily enough so Firestarter's definitely not being played.

So I reckon it would have to be (in no particular order):

The Butthole Surfers - Pepper

Helmet - Crisis King

GodFlesh - Gift From Heaven

Aereogramme - Zionist Timing

Wow! I've managed to create a thread that people have actually responded to! (I've also been guilty in the past of unintentionally ruining other people's threads by posting seriously inane comments!). I've been away down south gigging with the Stanley boys so this is the first chance that I've had to go online in a few days - some really interesting choices of music etc. Now I can die a happy man!................................(steady on, Lord Summerisle!)

PS Ian the legendary Sound-man broke up the boredom during our 18-hour nightmare journey home from London by investing in a 2-LCD screen portable DVD player - inspired! Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life has never been more enjoyable!

PS Ian the legendary Sound-man broke up the boredom during our 18-hour nightmare journey home from London by investing in a 2-LCD screen portable DVD player - inspired! Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life has never been more enjoyable!

18 hours??? Sounds like he should probably have invested in a Sat-Nav instead...

Very good, Frosty! We got stuck in a 40-mile tailback on the M6 - a lorry had overturned at 11 in the morning and took 5 hours to be shifted, during which the police had blocked both sides of the said motorway. As if luck would have it, our vibes player Geoff had lived in the area surrounding the motorway (Cheshire) and was able to get us off it in order to head North across country and help retain our collective sanities. Ian had expressed an interest in buying the DVD set-up earlier in the week, so we relieved the boredom by going on a Tesco hunt, due to the fact that I'm sad enough to own a Tesco road atlas (much cheaper to use Tesco than those bloody motorway services! - 1.85 surcharge on taking out a tenner from the "hole-in-the-wall", I ask you!). I think we watched 3 DVDs - Bad Santa, Meaning Of Life and The Last Supper (not sure about the last one as I was driving at the time!).

PS London (still) sucks! Lancaster's good though - check out the promoter Hamcaster on myspace. He's a decent bloke and a mate of mine.

Very good, Frosty! We got stuck in a 40-mile tailback on the M6 - a lorry had overturned at 11 in the morning and took 5 hours to be shifted, during which the police had blocked both sides of the said motorway.

You're forgetting having to stop 30 yards from the hotel to fix (bodge) the exhaust, the accident on the M40, and having to stop to investigate the strange yellow light on the dash.

Sound engineer for hire: Has own ears and 2 screen DVD player.

Monty Python - Always look on the bright side of life :)

When I die I don't want a horrible sad sendoff, something a bit more upbeat.

I saw some clips from Graham Chapmans eulogy (of Monty Python fame) - John Cleeses speach and Eric Idle singing always look on the bright side of life are the way it should be done

David