aberdeen-music

please restore my faith

stuartmaxwell

Anyway, you rate justin timberlake!

I find some of the things you rate laughable. That doesn't, however, stop me from taking on board some of the stuff you say and respecting elements of your opinion.

I do agree that certain elements of Aberdeen's musical community lack originality but that doesn't always mean that they are terrible at what they do or sub-par musicians.

Yadda yadda yadda. I'm not accusing anyone of theft, I'm accusing them of not having the balls or the intelligence to even attempt anything fresh. Most of the trash churned out by the ten a penny bands in aberdeen sounds so dated and corny it's not even funny in an ironic sense, it's just pathetic.

I wouldn't say that the music somebody plays boils down to simply intelligence and cojones.

In fact, I'd be inclined to suggest you are speaking out of your arse.

Yadda yadda yadda. I'm not accusing anyone of theft, I'm accusing them of not having the balls or the intelligence to even attempt anything fresh. Most of the trash churned out by the ten a penny bands in aberdeen sounds so dated and corny it's not even funny in an ironic sense, it's just pathetic.

Do you not use samples in your songs?

This is a question, not an accusation.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Huh? ?( ?(

Please explain more....

This stupid idea that bands should be supportive of each other just because they're based in the same area.

I'm not accusing anyone of theft' date=' I'm accusing them of not having the balls or the intelligence to even attempt anything fresh.[/quote']

That's right. If you think sampling means lifting chunks of other peoples playing, lifting entire drum loops, lifting bars and bars of a track and just laying a beat over it, you are sorely mistaken and still stuck in 1980.

The modern approach to sampling is far more sophisticated than that, isn't remotely plagiaristic, and most importantly is the major technique behind most of the music actually of this generation. Take Aphex Twin for a prime example.

My point, which you took far too literally, is that there is nothing fresh or inventive about playing the kind of music that was fresh and inventive 30,40,50 years ago, it's just lazy and sad.

This stupid idea that bands should be supportive of each other just because they're based in the same area.

I don't think that's what 'local music scene' means though. Some bands are supportive of other bands because they like them, and it helps them if they work together. Nobody helps other bands purely for the reason that they live nearby, do they?

Or are you saying that being supportive of each other is bad for any reason?

Guest Phantomsmasher
Do you not use samples in your songs?

This is a question, not an accusation.

I'd love to know exactly what is insinuated by that question...

Not going to get involved in this debate, people should just attempt to create without a reliance on what other people in the 'scene' want/think, artistic freedom all the way.

Kill your fucking idols.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I don't think that's what 'local music scene' means though. Some bands are supportive of other bands because they like them, and it helps them if they work together. Nobody helps other bands purely for the reason that they live nearby, do they?

Or are you saying that being supportive of each other is bad for any reason?

That's how I take "local music scene", though. Various bands from a similar area, and it sometimes does appear that geography is the only common bond. There are a few (not many) bands from round here that I'm into and as supportive of as possible, and it's relatively mutual. As for the rest, couldn't care less. I'm certainly not saying that supportiveness is necessarily a bad thing, but there's a lot of cringeworthy back-patting which does nobody any favours.

My point, which you took far too literally, is that there is nothing fresh or inventive about playing the kind of music that was fresh and inventive 30,40,50 years ago, it's just lazy and sad.

If I'd taken your point literally I would have assumed you dislike the number of eunuchs playing guitar in Aberdeen.

I personally don't care. I play chords ripped off 1930s guitar players, and sing songs about getting pished. I'm pretty sure people have been doing both for 30,40,50 AND 60 years.

It's not a competition :gringo:

To create a "scene" in anything people associated with that "scene" have to be supportive of each other and work together, surely for the basic purpose of helping it grow and evolve.

I think everyone (bands, venues, promoters, local labels, studios, sound engineers, ARTists, webmasters, punters) should do their best to work together to bloster the "scene" - time, energy, commitments and financial necessity permitting.

I'm certainly not saying that supportiveness is necessarily a bad thing, but there's a lot of cringeworthy back-patting which does nobody any favours.

You do have a point here. The cliched "constructive criticism" has to be used. If you dont like a local band there is no reason to support them just for the sake of supporting them but at the very least you can give them encouragement to do better.

There is nothing creative or ambitious about the detestable cultural recidivism which is at the core of this huge circle-jerk of "artists" producing this trash, media peddling it, and ignorant consumers lapping it up that you people believe is the music scene.

What a fucking arrogant arse you are......

People creating music that others want to listen to (whether that music is to your own personal taste or not) does constitute a "scene".

Because I (or anyone else for that matter) dont buy into what you believe is acceptable music doesnt make me ignorant....in fact quite the reverse, you are a fool for suggesting it...please try and remember "there is no such thing as bad music, just music you like and music you dont"

Guest Tam o' Shantie
As soon as people ditch the false notion of a "local" music scene, then we might make some headway here.

What the fuck are you talking about? This is a city, how else are you supposed to refer to bands who are based here?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
What the fuck are you talking about? This is a city, how else are you supposed to refer to bands who are based here?

Read a bit further on before throwing a pissy fit.

What a fucking arrogant arse you are......

People creating music that others want to listen to (whether that music is to your own personal taste or not) does constitute a "scene".

Because I (or anyone else for that matter) dont buy into what you believe is acceptable music doesnt make me ignorant....in fact quite the reverse, you are a fool for suggesting it...please try and remember "there is no such thing as bad music, just music you like and music you dont"

Watch your lip.

I don't buy into this childish "theres no such thing as bad music, it's all subjective" fallacy. Music is supposed to be an artform, but it has been damaged by commodification which has been going on for so long that there are now generations of people that don't know the difference between audio entertainment products and art.

Watch your lip.

I don't buy into this childish "theres no such thing as bad music, it's all subjective" fallacy. Music is supposed to be an artform, but it has been damaged by commodification which has been going on for so long that there are now generations of people that don't know the difference between audio entertainment products and art.

Music was more than likely a form of entertainment (or less likely ritual) long before it was a fucking art form. I really doubt the first people who sang were doing it to make people think, and to make themselves come across as smug bastards.

You don't half talk shite.

Watch your lip.

You're right, I don't know the difference between audio entertainment and art. Why don't you enlighten us?

I want a copy of the book the Stripey has. The one that defines 'why music is and what we are supposed be using it for'. Should be a good read. The fact that I enjoy many genres of music, buy whatever I like and make music as part of a band must mean that I have completely missed the 'point' of music. I think the tens of million of people that 'just enjoy' music will need enlightening from Stripey The Musical Messiah. He is here to enlighten the world and correct our ill gotten musical ways, yaaa hear. Now hear his words all ye lesser musical beings!

I've searched Amazon and couldn't see it anywhere.

Watch your lip.

And someone so up their own arse that they believe that anyone who doesnt conform to their preachings on art and music needs to get a life....

I enjoy art in all its forms, I can spend a few hours in an art gallery and come away knowing what I have liked and what I havent with no commercial pressures being brought to bear on me whatsoever....I feel the majority of people are the same, I dont listen to music because someone has told me to, I seek out what I like, or friends turn me on to stuff they like and again I believe a large proportion of people are the same.

What I dont need is someone telling me I am "childish" or "ignorant" because I like certain music, or believe that there is a healthy hardcore of musical talent that play instruments and perform live and dont spend their days locked in their bedroom looking for the next big "sample"....o_O

I also would love to know where you draw this "audio entertainment products and art" line.

You never seem willing to share what you think is musical "art" with us....why is that?

Oh and the "no such thing as bad music" quote came from John Peel....a man who's opinion on all things musical I respect 100,000,000 times more than yours.

• Upvote 2