aberdeen-music

please restore my faith

stuartmaxwell

I remeber a particular band playing an utter shambles of a set, yet it was the most fun I'd had in ages at a gig, just because the atmosphere was bang on. You don't have to be great musicians, just as long as you and the audience is having fun. Nothing else really matters, does it?

cloud speaks sense here, even two back joe (or whatever it is) would have to agree.

I still think this is boring.

There's load of ace venues, ace bands and an ace vibe in Aberdeen, outwith this little thing called 'Aberdeen-Music' and people around the UK are catching on more and more. Hot Chip adored it tonight, The Automatic swear by, Graham Coxon fucking loved every second, Tilly and the Wall cant wait to come back, EVERY HxC/Metal band say it's the best gig/hospitality/people in the UK, Subways keep in touch stressing they want to come back, same with Delays, Hard-Fi said it was the best gig they'd ever played up until that point last year, Paolo Nutini forgot his words cause he was overwhelmed by the people here and has asked me to sort him out some low-key Aberdeen shows, Jamie T wants to come back solo in Drummonds in Dec then to Moshulu with the band early next year, the NME want me to do ALL their tours in Aberdeen post Klaxons show and I've got Club NME launching November 7th in Moshulu...I could go on all day..

I went to London at the start of August, and everyone, as soon as I mentioned where I was from, straight away was asking about colonopenbracket/hookers green/edgar prais, I had Nine Black Alps manager phone me about another Aberdeen band this week, got bands offering my lot Scottish supports/tour supports all over the place, Needles have had 2 vids in 3 months all over NME.com and MTV2, Stapleton were blown away by Genevieve earlier this year and thought they were amazing, every band I've put Right Hand Left on with have been full of praise, Little Kicks just had XFM exposure pieces, MMw have a great track record for a band of their ilk, and with Cry For Silence just signing with My Chemical Romances manager, I'm sure that'll continue, especially with the inevitable rise of Enter Shikari, and the fact Flood of Red ain't far behind, The X-Certs have got the same booking agent as Maximo Park and Magic Numbers and will inevitably go on to great things...

Copy Haho are fantastic, Amber has a voice to die for, Fiction/Action get better and better, bands are requesting WSBB to do supports up here, do I really need to go on...?

And finally, the students ar beginning to rise, people are more and more coming out to shows, and coming back, not just for established touring acts, but for the underground and the local scene as well...

We'v got The Tunnels, Kef, Drummonds, The Lemon Tree, Moshulu, The Forum, The Music Hall, Boyd Orr @ AECC, Main AECC all more than capable of staging awesome gigs. What does Edinburgh have? Cab Vol, Liquid Rooms, Corn Exchange. Dundee? Doghuse, Reading Rooms, Fat Sams....

Crowd attendances in Aberdeen generally kick the shit out of Edinburgh, and ain't far off Glasgow these days, for a city our size, that's fucking amazing. That, and the fact, that let's face it, Aberdeen is a helluva nice compared to most in the UK...

All you negative ones are unappreciative fannies, take what you have and help it grow I say, dont piss and whine like a little bitch, it's getting really old.

+1

Great post. It's always good to have a positive promoter's input once in a while rather than the moaning back-stabbery that normally goes on here. Let's hope the reputation the bands and people like RFR Promotions have built up for Aberdeen will continue!

I still think this is boring.

There's load of ace venues, ace bands and an ace vibe in Aberdeen, outwith this little thing called 'Aberdeen-Music' and people around the UK are catching on more and more. Hot Chip adored it tonight, The Automatic swear by, Graham Coxon fucking loved every second, Tilly and the Wall cant wait to come back, EVERY HxC/Metal band say it's the best gig/hospitality/people in the UK, Subways keep in touch stressing they want to come back, same with Delays, Hard-Fi said it was the best gig they'd ever played up until that point last year, Paolo Nutini forgot his words cause he was overwhelmed by the people here and has asked me to sort him out some low-key Aberdeen shows, Jamie T wants to come back solo in Drummonds in Dec then to Moshulu with the band early next year, the NME want me to do ALL their tours in Aberdeen post Klaxons show and I've got Club NME launching November 7th in Moshulu...I could go on all day..

I went to London at the start of August, and everyone, as soon as I mentioned where I was from, straight away was asking about colonopenbracket/hookers green/edgar prais, I had Nine Black Alps manager phone me about another Aberdeen band this week, got bands offering my lot Scottish supports/tour supports all over the place, Needles have had 2 vids in 3 months all over NME.com and MTV2, Stapleton were blown away by Genevieve earlier this year and thought they were amazing, every band I've put Right Hand Left on with have been full of praise, Little Kicks just had XFM exposure pieces, MMw have a great track record for a band of their ilk, and with Cry For Silence just signing with My Chemical Romances manager, I'm sure that'll continue, especially with the inevitable rise of Enter Shikari, and the fact Flood of Red ain't far behind, The X-Certs have got the same booking agent as Maximo Park and Magic Numbers and will inevitably go on to great things...

Copy Haho are fantastic, Amber has a voice to die for, Fiction/Action get better and better, bands are requesting WSBB to do supports up here, do I really need to go on...?

And finally, the students ar beginning to rise, people are more and more coming out to shows, and coming back, not just for established touring acts, but for the underground and the local scene as well...

We'v got The Tunnels, Kef, Drummonds, The Lemon Tree, Moshulu, The Forum, The Music Hall, Boyd Orr @ AECC, Main AECC all more than capable of staging awesome gigs. What does Edinburgh have? Cab Vol, Liquid Rooms, Corn Exchange. Dundee? Doghuse, Reading Rooms, Fat Sams....

Crowd attendances in Aberdeen generally kick the shit out of Edinburgh, and ain't far off Glasgow these days, for a city our size, that's fucking amazing. That, and the fact, that let's face it, Aberdeen is a helluva nice compared to most in the UK...

All you negative ones are unappreciative fannies, take what you have and help it grow I say, dont piss and whine like a little bitch, it's getting really old.

That's it. I'm moving to Aberdeen!:up:

Edinburgh has more moaners than here as well - they expect things to happen for them. This is something that people are starting to do something about in Aberdeen. There is more to a music scene than having bands that are hitting the big time, it is the vibe and the bands you can attract to it. I don't know about anyone else but I find that my standard of playing naturally increases by the challenge of playing next to a better band. I recently opted to stay in Aberdeen than move to Glasgow because I was enjoying it so much here. A decision I don't regret at all. There are loads of styles of music to choose from if you look out for it - places like the Blue Lamp don't advertise very well but I have seen some amazing acts there.

none of the bands mentioned are in the same calibre as local bands like take a worm for a walk week, desalvo, stapleton, kaddish, alamos, james orr complex, acrnym, eska, simplestorm.

bands like these are the standards im talkign about. somehow i dont see the likes of :( et al doing things as well as these guys.

Man, this whole thread is like the blind leading the blind.

How borrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggg is it to listen to people go on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, AND ON, about 'standards', and 'professionalism' when noone really knows what they're talking about...

I think we should all move to Glasgow, form shite alt-rock/subgenre/subgenre/subgenre bands, tour the country for 8 years, get 6000 tatoos, constantly focus ourselves, learn how to drum in 15/8, develop a backwards singing style and piss around on our high-horses talking about how blinded the rest of the world is to our innovative style. Only then will we truely have become accepted. Also, remeber that the ONLY way you can do things is DIY. Plus, Steve Albini MUST produce our record. And we should only release it on a label that hand-prints vynil in stables, on fire. And thou shalt only make 4 copies! Urrrrrrrrrrrr... Need... fresh... brains.... urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

I'd rather listen to a pub-rock Oasis cover band than some of these arrogant, totally idiotic and unoriginal idiots.

Actually, fuck that, i'm going to listen to Bruce Springsteen. Have fun!

PS.

Sorry, I never post. In fact, I never usually visit but did today and found the same stupid discussion with arrogant, boring people dictating to others exactly how bands should do things and what standards they should have. I'm sorry Stuart, it's nothign personal, I just hate these sorts of things.

Man, this whole thread is like the blind leading the blind.

How borrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggg is it to listen to people go on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, AND ON, about 'standards', and 'professionalism' when noone really knows what they're talking about...

I think we should all move to Glasgow, form shite alt-rock/subgenre/subgenre/subgenre bands, tour the country for 8 years, get 6000 tatoos, constantly focus ourselves, learn how to drum in 15/8, develop a backwards singing style and piss around on our high-horses talking about how blinded the rest of the world is to our innovative style. Only then will we truely have become accepted. Also, remeber that the ONLY way you can do things is DIY. Plus, Steve Albini MUST produce our record. And we should only release it on a label that hand-prints vynil in stables, on fire. And thou shalt only make 4 copies! Urrrrrrrrrrrr... Need... fresh... brains.... urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

I'd rather listen to a pub-rock Oasis cover band than some of these arrogant, totally idiotic and unoriginal idiots.

Actually, fuck that, i'm going to listen to Bruce Springsteen. Have fun!

PS.

Sorry, I never post. In fact, I never usually visit but did today and found the same stupid discussion with arrogant, boring people dictating to others exactly how bands should do things and what standards they should have. I'm sorry Stuart, it's nothign personal, I just hate these sorts of things.

Got something constructive to say or just whining? The balls in your court, educate away....

Nobody on here likes/produces the sort of things you like so that doesn't surprise me to be honest ;)

a) you have no idea what I listen to.

b) It's the petty inward looking niggling and nitpicking that gives me a lack of faith, that's what I'm talking about here.

c) I like intelligent, creative, ambitious and thoughful music. So yes, in some ways you are right. But see point b).

a) you have no idea what I listen to.

b) It's the petty inward looking niggling and nitpicking that gives me a lack of faith, that's what I'm talking about here.

c) I like intelligent, creative, ambitious and thoughful music. So yes, in some ways you are right. But see point b).

I have a good idea what you listen to as you bang on about it all the time. There's not really much nitpicking going on, more brainstorming.

And as for c): don't we all. But that's subjective too

I have a good idea what you listen to as you bang on about it all the time. There's not really much nitpicking going on, more brainstorming.

And as for c): don't we all. But that's subjective too

You have no fucking idea about my musical tastes.

Anyway. No, there is nothing subjective about it atall, given that there is the entire documented history of music out there to provide context for anyone with the wits to equip themselves with that sort of awareness.

There is nothing creative or ambitious about the detestable cultural recidivism which is at the core of this huge circle-jerk of "artists" producing this trash, media peddling it, and ignorant consumers lapping it up that you people believe is the music scene.

Besides. You like Justin Timberlake, you are in no position to make any such comments.

Anyway. No, there is nothing subjective about it atall, given that there is the entire documented history of music out there to provide context for anyone with the wits to equip themselves with that sort of awareness.

There is nothing creative or ambitious about the detestable cultural recidivism which is at the core of this huge circle-jerk of "artists" producing this trash, media peddling it, and ignorant consumers lapping it up that you people believe is the music scene.

Besides. You like Justin Timberlake, you are in no position to make any such comments.

How refreshing.

Gag.

And you have no 'fucking' idea about mine if thats all you think i listen to. I have a broad appreciation of music in general, something which i'm afraid your posts lead me to believe that you don't.

And i'm sorry but what one person finds fresh and creative is not always what another finds fresh and creative. You don't half talk utter shite sometimes Stripey, honestly.

As for 'recidivism' (good choice of big word by the way), its very hard to accuse people of musical 'theft' when anything outputwise i've heard musically from yourself over the years could well be described as such, but i guess thats subjective as i personally don't find anything musical that you've enlightened us with as 'new' or 'intriguing'. We all draw our musical inspiration from something (usually what we hear and like to be honest) and most bands are not afraid to point out the source of their musical inspiration when asked.

Got something constructive to say or just whining? The balls in your court, educate away....

Actually, my point was that NOOONE had anything constructive to say and that most people were just bullying each other and forcing their 'experience' down each others throat. Experience things for yourself. I have no intention of 'educating' anyone because, unlike some, I don't feel that I have the right to do so.

And you have no 'fucking' idea about mine if thats all you think i listen to. I have a broad appreciation of music in general, something which i'm afraid your posts lead me to believe that you don't.

And i'm sorry but what one person finds fresh and creative is not always what another finds fresh and creative. You don't half talk utter shite sometimes Stripey, honestly.

As for 'recidivism' (good choice of big word by the way), its very hard to accuse people of musical 'theft' when anything outputwise i've heard musically from yourself over the years could well be described as such, but i guess thats subjective as i personally don't find anything musical that you've enlightened us with as 'new' or 'intriguing'. We all draw our musical inspiration from something (usually what we hear and like to be honest) and most bands are not afraid to point out the source of their musical inspiration when asked.

Yadda yadda yadda. I'm not accusing anyone of theft, I'm accusing them of not having the balls or the intelligence to even attempt anything fresh. Most of the trash churned out by the ten a penny bands in aberdeen sounds so dated and corny it's not even funny in an ironic sense, it's just pathetic.

Anyway, you rate justin timberlake!