aberdeen-music

Happy St Paddy's Day!

Lemonade

why do most scottish students make a bigger deal about St.Paddys day than St.Andrews day? yes lets go to O'Neills as soon as we wake up and drink till we get green hats' date=' brilliant[/quote']

Yes, yes,yes - this has always pissed me off immensely. There is something so incredibly forced and desperate about the whole thing. This is supposed to be a Saint's day, and has become nothing short of an outlet for 'wacky' (almost definitely non-Irish) people to consolidate the culturally redundant stereotype that Ireland is a land of pissheads and gormless pricks who love the 'craic'. I can't imagine anyone in Aberdeen, for example, could ever give you a valid reason as to why St. Patrick's Day should be celebrated - it is just a pretext to get drunk, which most people do too often anyway. Non-Irish people who get excited about it are completely ignorant dead-eyed morons who probably think that St. Patrick invented Guinness and that St. Andrew invented golf.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Yes' date=' yes,yes - this has always pissed me off immensely. There is something so incredibly forced and desperate about the whole thing. This is supposed to be a Saint's day, and has become nothing short of an outlet for 'wacky' (almost definitely non-Irish) people to consolidate the culturally redundant stereotype that Ireland is a land of pissheads and gormless pricks who love the 'craic'. I can't imagine anyone in Aberdeen, for example, could ever give you a valid reason as to why St. Patrick's Day should be celebrated - it is just a pretext to get drunk, which most people do too often anyway. Non-Irish people who get excited about it are completely ignorant dead-eyed morons who probably think that St. Patrick invented Guinness and that St. Andrew invented golf.[/quote']

Credit is due to this post, the greatest thing I've ever read about the sham of celebrating St.Patrick's Day in Aberdeen. Just a bunch of rugbyshirts getting pissed and pretending to have some "affinity" with Ireland. The fuck they do.

Leprechauns' date=' horses running around council estates, toothless simpletons with eyebrows on their cheeks, badly tarmaced drives, men in platform shoes being arrested for bombings and Beamish. Dare's more ti Oireland dan dis.[/quote']

Being part Irish I suppose I should probably say blah blah racist blah blah ignorance blah-dee-blah stereotype blah blah (despite the fact that I am not offended at all and even sniggered slightly when I read this). :up:

It was funny to see people queuing outside ONeills and ODonahues. I can imagine that the only difference going to these pubs yesterday would have been

a)They would have been jam packed to the point of discomfort

b)It would have been hard to get anywhere near the bar

c)Those oversized novelty hats would have been obscuring light and hitting into people.

Fun!