aberdeen-music

Places to record.

empty-words

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't sell my stuff....I'd make fuck all...unless someone wants the lot for a grand?

* Alesis ADAT blackface + LDT + 6 tapes + head cleaner = £200

* Behringer UB2442FX desk + 2 x 8 jack snakes = £150

* Shure SM58/Rode NT1A/Audio Technica ATM33A/Samson QKick/Shure Prologue/2 stands/drum clips - £200

* Dell Latitude C610 - 1.2ghz - 256mb ram - 40GB HDD - CDRW - USB cardbus - Maudio transit 24/96khz soundcard - £300

* Panasonic 100w stereo amp - £30

* JPW 80w bookshelf speakers with spare pair of drivers - £70

* Aiwa 175watt spakers/white cones - £100

Allright, you haven't had much answers to this thread, so I'll try and be as helpful as I can.

Some questions -

What do you intend to achieve with the recording? Is it designed to get you decent support slots at local gigs, is it intended to sell, is it intended to give to promoters further away in order to get gigs, or a mixture of those things and more?

Do you (or anyone in the band) have experience of recording?

How many songs do you intend to record?

do not listen to this boy

he has never recorded a mix in his life

he also hates your band with a passion' date=' and does not understand your music

any "advice" from him should be declared null and void, much like his opinions[/quote']

To be fair quite sensible questions though, I wouldnt have thought. Maybe instead of telling everyone how bad Clouds opinions and questions are you could add in your own and help answer the bands questions.

Cheers

Stuart

Some other things :

A good cheap place to record would be the Foyer - £14 an hour, and you can get a demo-quality recording done there without much hassle. The only issue is that you have to be under 25 to use the facility. They have been known for decent recordings. I recall someone saying that it's awfully cramped in there too - and obviously for £14 an hour, you're not going to get a world class facility. But it's not a bad place at all.

After that, you're probably looking at Captain Toms, who have some decent deals. Some decent recordings have came out of there too - perhaps listening to the Fat Hippy sampler would give you a decent idea of the quality that comes out of there. Looking at their website (http://www.captaintommusic.co.uk/recording.asp), they're doing some quite decent deals -

Live Recording Deal:: 1hrs Rehearsal, 2hrs Live Recording & 5 cd copies £60

Block Booking Deals:: Mon - Fri 10am-6pm £110

Otherwise they charge a flat £22 p/h.

I have no idea about Exile - what's happening there these days? There was stuff said about Mark moving the studio out to Torphins, but I'm really not sure at all what the current state of play is there.

Then you get onto more expensive studios - but I'm guessing they wouldn't fufil the "cheap" criteria. It just depends how much you want to spend and how much you want to record - but I think it's a held opinion that it isn't worth rushing into an expensive studio if you're only going to spend enough to get a couple of hours in there.

I dare say there's other means of recording too, but I know absolutely nothing about them and wouldn't like to comment if it is a viable option or not.

Live Recording Deal:: 1hrs Rehearsal' date=' 2hrs Live Recording & 5 cd copies £60[/quote']

This is a very good option if a) the sound quality doesn't have to be of the highest order, and b) you have your shit together.

Bonesaw and Filthpact (IIRC, please do correct me) have done this before - SPD almost did likewise but we finished early so just paid two hours flat!

This is a very good option if a) the sound quality doesn't have to be of the highest order' date=' and b) you have your shit together.

Bonesaw and Filthpact (IIRC, please do correct me) have done this before - SPD almost did likewise but we finished early so just paid two hours flat![/quote']

Bonesaw was done live, all Filthpact recordings have had the instruments recorded live then vocals put on top at a later date, I'd reccomend Paul at Captain Toms for the heavier bands in this city, ask him to master it too.

yup definately' date=' paul is very good.

Toms is really good as scourge said if you have your shit together, and really know your songs insideout, that includes all settings and shit.

we are recording a demo at Musical Visions on sunday so im yet to see how recordings from there can turn out.[/quote']

What/where is 'Musical visions?

Guest Jake Wifebeater
SPD almost did likewise but we finished early so just paid two hours flat!

Think it worked out at 7 each. Not bad, you can hear what's going on and that's what matters.