aberdeen-music

Most Over-rated band of all time?

Lemonade

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to the "Live" album before I came to work' date=' I was lucky enough to see them live (with Alex) at the Apollo many years ago, I saw them at the Lemon tree as the Sensational party boys and then at Drummonds a couple of years ago, they are one of my fav bands of all time....:love:[/quote']

Was that one of the line ups with Stevie Doherty involved?

Coldplay...the new U2....god help us

whilst ranting about U2....

It never siezes to amaze me when people like Bono say they are trying to save the starving world. One or two pages from his bank book would go a long way to keeping a whole village in food for years

Yes, the cheek of the man to spout forth about poverty whilst flying his bloody hat first class coz he forgot it... prick

Musically U2 have been dead since Actung Baby

I've seen the SAHBs 5 or 6 times I think' date=' from 95 onwards. I definitely preferred the previous lineup to this one where the singer is imo weak, but I would have loved to see the original band with the late Alex Harvey. I got into them through Fish covering 2 of their songs, then saw them playing the smae bill in 95, great intro to them. A very, very underated band,like Mott the Hoople, we need an underated band thread...

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

I saw them with Alex, supporting the Who in 76, and post-Alex, supporting Jethro Tull at Tarlair whenever that was.....good entertainment, stage-show wise, but not what I'd listen to at home.

I own the 'official' albums' date=' but am not fanatical by any stretch, and I'm lost as to where most of the comments on Hendrix are coming from. They seem pretty ill informed really. When the Pistols arrived, their target was prog rock bands such as Yes and Emerson Lake and Palmer, those were the real culprits of extended and unnecessary improvisations and have no connection to Hendrix's style of music.

'Band Of Gypsies' is the only 'official' Hendrix album released which could be looked at as improvised jamming to my ears, but that's what he wanted to do at that time to break away from the Experience days. A couple of earlier Experience numbers, mainly on 'Are You Experienced?' are more instrumentals rather than songs, but the bulk of his material is 'normal' length songs. Hendrix introduced a style of guitar playing and showmanship that had guitarists such as Clapton questioning their validity (now there is someone the term indulgence could be applied to in terms of guitar playing), and was capable of interpreting other people's material to make it his own - hence Bob Dylan himself acknowledges the quality of Hendrix's version of 'All Along The Watchtower'.

I can listen to Hendrix albums in terms of their era and hear real innovation and the path being laid for those who came after - name me one band of modern times who you can say that about.[/quote']

You're right, I was talking bollocks. But the point is that Jimi Hendrix is over-rated in terms of his impact, because I think those he inspired approached the guitar in a way that was...counterproductive, whereas someone like Captain Sensible inspired people that went on to improve music. I don't have any evidence for this...I think I might have read Slash big up Hendrix, which says it all

You're right' date=' I was talking bollocks. But the point is that Jimi Hendrix is over-rated in terms of his impact, because I think those he inspired approached the guitar in a way that was...counterproductive, whereas someone like Captain Sensible inspired people that went on to improve music. I don't have any evidence for this...I think I might have read Slash big up Hendrix, which says it all[/quote']

He didn't just have impact on crappy rock bands that came after though. He influenced muscicians of all kinds from the moment he 'arrived'!

He didn't just have impact on crappy rock bands that came after though. He influenced muscicians of all kinds from the moment he 'arrived'!

Agreed and it wasn't even just his guitar playing songwriting, style, production. Every one of his major contemporaries like Beck, Clapton and Townsend were influenced and blown away.

I can't even think of why a comparison with Captain Sensible is made. Have I missed something as I can't see him as a major influence of any note. He is funny live though...

Agreed and it wasn't even just his guitar playing songwriting' date=' style, production. Every one of his major contemporaries like Beck, Clapton and Townsend were influenced and blown away.

I can't even think of why a comparison with Captain Sensible is made. Have I missed something as I can't see him as a major influence of any note. He is funny live though...[/quote']

pop tart just likes to mention such people when trying to prove a point. He appears to have some kind of 60's versus 80's thing going on in his mind.

Not really' date=' I own just as much stuff from the 80's as I do the 60's. :up:

What a surprise that another one of the 80's indie bum bro's should reply.[/quote']

Well i did just come on the site and that was the first thread i looked. I'm not even saying i agree with him. Sorry if you feel you're being ganged up on.

Well i did just come on the site and that was the first thread i looked. I'm not even saying i agree with him. Sorry if you feel you're being ganged up on.

I dont feel ganged up on...

Obviously there's good music from all decades, everyone knows that, or should!

You're right' date=' I was talking bollocks. But the point is that Jimi Hendrix is over-rated in terms of his impact, because I think those he inspired approached the guitar in a way that was...counterproductive, whereas someone like Captain Sensible inspired people that went on to improve music. I don't have any evidence for this...I think I might have read Slash big up Hendrix, which says it all[/quote']

Have to agree with bluesman. I was late in getting into Hendrix. I thought, like many that his songs were long tweedly jams. However, over time I've come to terms with the mans genius.

As to a comparision with Capt...I think they both had long fingers!