aberdeen-music

Most Over-rated band of all time?

Lemonade

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pop tart just likes to mention such people when trying to prove a point. He appears to have some kind of 60's versus 80's thing going on in his mind.

I've nowt at all against the 60s. Infact' date=' it depresses me that music will never matter as much as it did then. However, I do have a considerable amount against the deification of Jimi Hendrix, and against the [b']70s, but that's for the other thread...

I've nowt at all against the 60s. Infact' date=' it depresses me that music will never matter as much as it did then. However, I do have a considerable amount against the deification of Jimi Hendrix, and against the [b']70s, but that's for the other thread...

I agree in some respects about your 70s comment although it's mainly the early to mid period... but just coz people went into widdly, epic guitar solo territory it is not the fault of Jimi Hendrix. To borrow from John Lennon's quote "Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary.", so people who claim an influence don't necessarily get the point e.g. Oasis.

:gringo:

I'm sure Mr Hendrix would be against his deification as well, but nothing you say or do is going to change the fact that he made amazing forward looking music!

I'm curious to know, do you listen to much Blues and Jazz or stuff that isn't song based?

I'm curious to know' date=' do you listen to much Blues and Jazz or stuff that isn't song based?[/quote']

I do listen to stuff that isn't song based, but just not when it's done by pop acts. I consider blues and jazz musicians to be pop acts, because - as I've said before - blues and jazz are just other examples of low art, with no more value than what is commonly known as "pop". I think that all pop/low art should deal in is disposable, danceable songs, whereas classical -as the only musically based high art - can aspire to produce music in forms other than song. To be honest, I'm more of a classical tart than I am a pop tart, but I don't talk about it on here because classical music and pop music aren't comparable

p.s. I've probably unfairly dismissed the eastern music you love so much. If I were to hear it in a concert hall, I'd probably find that it is high art as well

I do listen to stuff that isn't song based' date=' but just not when it's done by pop acts. I consider blues and jazz musicians to be pop acts, because - as I've said before - blues and jazz are just other examples of low art, with no more value than what is commonly known as "pop". I think that all pop/low art should deal in is disposable, danceable songs, whereas classical -as the only musically based high art - can aspire to produce music in forms other than song. To be honest, I'm more of a classical tart than I am a pop tart, but I don't talk about it on here because classical music and pop music aren't comparable[/quote']

Jesus christ, what a load of... I think you need to take some acid and/or get laid more! :D

p.s. I've probably unfairly dismissed the eastern music you love so much. If I were to hear it in a concert hall' date=' I'd probably find that it is high art as well[/quote']

That would depend on which "eastern" music you were to hear!

I do listen to stuff that isn't song based' date=' but just not when it's done by pop acts. I consider blues and jazz musicians to be pop acts, because - as I've said before - blues and jazz are just other examples of low art, with no more value than what is commonly known as "pop". I think that all pop/low art should deal in is disposable, danceable songs, whereas classical -as the only musically based high art - can aspire to produce music in forms other than song. To be honest, I'm more of a classical tart than I am a pop tart, but I don't talk about it on here because classical music and pop music aren't comparable

p.s. I've probably unfairly dismissed the eastern music you love so much. If I were to hear it in a concert hall, I'd probably find that it is high art as well[/quote']

Did you post this waffle to piss people off or do you speak shite all the time?

"I consider blues and jazz musicians to be pop acts" you do know that pop is an abbreviation of popular?

"blues and jazz are just other examples of low art, with no more value than what is commonly known as "pop" ....value....???? what the fuck are you on about?

Did you post this waffle to piss people off or do you speak shite all the time?

"I consider blues and jazz musicians to be pop acts" you do know that pop is an abbreviation of popular?

"blues and jazz are just other examples of low art' date=' with no more value than what is commonly known as "pop" ....value....???? what the fuck are you on about?[/quote']

If "pop" just meant "popular" then it would have been used to describe whatever filled the void before the 50s. "Big band" or whatever

By "value" I mean artistic merit. Go on and try and change my mind

Go on and try and change my mind

Why dont you try to open your own mind instead?

Forget all these self made rules about what should and shouldn't be allowed within certain styles of music etc!

Why dont you try to open your own mind instead?

Forget all these self made rules about what should and shouldn't be allowed within certain styles of music etc!

I've tried to enjoy Hendrix and jazz and raga shit, and there was a time when I thought I did, but I realised I was fooling myself. You know what, I really think they might sound half-way decent to my ears if I did drop some acid...

...but that's not going to happen, because of popTart's Rules of Pop #46: "Pop should be made to sound good while the listener is high on alcohol and/or Prittstick, since these are the stimulants most readily to it's core audience." Therefore: Captain Sensible - 1 Hendrix and Johnstone's raga-shit - 0

;)

I've tried to enjoy Hendrix and jazz and raga shit' date=' and there was a time when I thought I did, but I realised I was fooling myself. You know what, I really think they might sound half-way decent to my ears if I did drop some acid...

...but that's not going to happen, because of popTart's Rules of Pop #46: "Pop should be made to sound good while the listener is high on alcohol and/or Prittsitck, since these are the stimulants most readily to it's core audience." Therefore: Captain Sensible - 1 Hendrix and Johnstone's raga-shit - 0

;)[/quote']

:laughing:

Can you post some more rules please? :gringo:

Ah, but wait!!!

Captain Sensible LOVED the Soft Machine(far out dadaist-jazz music), plus his former band mate Rat Scabies recently played drums with Donovan...

Captain Sensible - 1 johnston's(no e) raga shit - 2

If "pop" just meant "popular" then it would have been used to describe whatever filled the void before the 50s. "Big band" or whatever

By "value" I mean artistic merit. Go on and try and change my mind

Well big band music was the pop of its day....but "pop" will have been a word used by some music journo of the 60's I guess.

And if you cand see any "artistic merit" in blues and jazz musicians you are a truley sad and blinkered individual

Ah' date=' but wait!!!

Captain Sensible LOVED the Soft Machine(far out dadaist-jazz music), plus his former band mate Rat Scabies recently played drums with Donovan...

Captain Sensible - 1 johnston's(no e) raga shit - 2[/quote']

Haha, I know, I've been reading all about the prog-tendencies of supposed hardline punks in Simon Reynolds "Rip It Up and Start Again". Like Wire, of whom NME said "they've gone from Pink Flag to Pink Floyd" when they released their 2nd album (their 1st was called Pink Flag). But I think the post-punk bands were more restrained in their desire to develop rock (it was considered shocking when Wire did a song that lasted 4 minutes!). Or maybe their motivation was to deconstruct rock, rather than develop it

Interestingly, "Rock the Casbah" by the Clash has the line "the king told the boogie man, you've got to let that raga drop", with reference to their manager Bertie Rhodes, who dismissed most of the songs on their Sandanista album as being "ragas"...

Therefore: Hippies, prog-rockers and raga-enthusiasts v.s popTart punk allstars: match abandoned due to Steve Temple being unable to field a team as hardcore as him

Therefore: Hippies' date=' prog-rockers and raga-enthusiasts v.s popTart punk allstars: match abandoned due to Steve Temple being unable to field a team as hardcore as him[/quote']

popTart punk allstars are to be fined the price of a 7 inch single in 1977!!!