aberdeen-music

Most Over-rated band of all time?

Lemonade

My cross goes firmly in the box marked 'Led Zeppelin' I'm afraid.

you are right' date=' given the nature of the music industry today there are no shortage of over rated bands in the limelight and competent, unique and novel musos either dissuaded from the entering the industry in the first place or scraping a living in the sidelines....

however zepp?? can't possibly agree with that, technically all very competent musos, artistically pioneering. the simple truth is that several genres were borne out of zep, forget about any individual influences they may have had on other artists....

i think i'm correct in saying one of the most sampled bands to date also....

invariably what is deemed to be an overrated band to one will be ground breaking to another...but to try and avoid the merely subjective...why not justify your inclusion of zepp with some substantial argument....in short, why do u think zepp are overrated?

Beatles.... not their fault

Oasis.... they are just shit

U2..... oh dear

Sex pistols..... ?

the beatles? agreed, overrated, don't get me wrong a good band, good songs, but the problem here is that so many people in the 50 to 60 age group (mostly cliff fans btw) seriously believe these guys are responsible for all contemporary music there after, from jimi to bucks fizz...

the same people who over rate the beatles, imo, have no knowledge of the blues and r&b (real r&b btw) routes from which jimi, zepp and a pile of others emanate from...

oasis simply made a living out of plagiarism, so no arguments there.....

tbh looking at the point of the originating thread....and the industry today....i'd pose the question...name a mainstream outfit that isn't overrated....

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CAN OF WORMS HAS JUST BEEN OPENED!

The respnce will be hilarious... no ..... really.....

Popcorn at the ready.

Actually' date=' I managed to remain calm. Although, in my opinion, if any of Radiohead's work is over-rated, I'd say it was their middle-of-the-road indie, a la 'The Bends' itself (more the song, as I can't remember which tracks are on the album)

Also, totally agree with U2.

Has anybody mentioned the Killers or the Kaiser Chiefs yet?

I know it's jsut that I [b']personally hate them, but there must be some others out there who agree...

Actually' date=' I managed to remain calm. Although, in my opinion, if any of Radiohead's work is over-rated, I'd say it was their middle-of-the-road indie, a la 'The Bends' itself (more the song, as I can't remember which tracks are on the album)

Also, totally agree with U2.

Has anybody mentioned the Killers or the Kaiser Chiefs yet?

I know it's jsut that I [b']personally hate them, but there must be some others out there who agree...

I totally agree about Radiohead, i like OK Computer onwards but i think the Bends is actually just utter shit. Bland angst-rock. I don't think that many people really rate Killers and Kaisers all that highly.

Out of the big guns from the past i think the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix are utter crap. Especially Hendrix, what a bore...have i said all this already?...no i haven't. Good. I also don't see how anyone could rate Soundgarden. And RATM are really friggin overrated, decent but really overrated, too repetitive and limited.

It's impossible to overrate the beatles

subjective...

They were the first band to treat pop music as an art form' date=' [/quote']

subjective...

and although they didn't directly influence the parallel growth of the blues/hard rock scene' date=' they did take influences from the same roots as Page, Hendrix, Clapton etc. [/quote']

so what?

Bands today are influenced by the Beatles even if they don't realise it. They were the first successful rock n' roll collective' date=' in which all members of the band played a part in shaping the sound, rather than following the direction of a dominant "leader". [/quote']

if that is correct, which tbh i find hard to believe, that would be a reasonably compelling point....

Without the Beatles' date=' popular music would have taken a very different path and would not have the same influence and importance in our culture today.[/quote']

pop music has been in a terrible state for decades...are you not devaluing your own argument here?

possibly it would have been better if pop did take a different path...

The Beatles were the best band ever' date=' in my opinion, .[/quote']

please read my paragraph about subjective input variable into the argument...(it was a recent edit btw)

and my knowledge of blues and R+B is pretty wide-ranging' date=' so I don't see where your argument holds water.[/quote']

apart from your point about the beatles being pioneers of pop band structure, which again, although may well be true, but i find difficult to believe, your own argument is largely subjective...."u cant say the beatles are overrated because i like them!"

my point is that the beatles were a fine band, truth is i like a lot of their stuff and posses a dozen or so assorted cds, tapes and records (some dating back to the 60's), and further i accept that they have had an impact on pop music since they became well known, however there are, in my view, a significant number of people who believe that without the beatles we'd all be sitting around listening to white tuxedoed crooners...which is obviously untrue...in fairness nobody on these boards has expressed this opinion, but i have heard it often in one manifestation or another...

qed beatles = overrated...

It's okay i noticed the question mark myself' date=' you don't need to try to impress me.[/quote']

For some strange reason I thought you were referring to Mariah Carey even although it didnt have a question mark.

Impress you...Im quite handy with a camera.:up:

yes and no

i actually thought of bands that i know you like to give me ideas

i do think s and d are ovverrated' date=' i cant stand the constant gush

but then its the same with you and sigur ros etc[/quote']

You've not exactly chosen any of my absolute faves and i don't like Aberfeldy (don't dislike either but i'm no fan), but for me the same thing goes for Sigur Ros as i said for RATM.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

The Misfits. All because Cliff Burton had a Misfits tattoo.

Pig Destroyer.

This would have been interesting if the title was "Most over-rated local band".

Guest Mr Blastcap

my bloody valentine

queens of the stone age

deadloss superstar

shellac -1st album good/rest downhill

James Brown

any "post rock band"

McCartney

Radiohead (utter pub rock toss)

Coldplay

Killers

the stone roses

melvins

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Queen, Led Zeppelin. And there are many many more nominees.

But Nirvana tops the list by far. Such a teenage angst thing, nothing about music at all. The guy did nothing. And then shot himself, meaning we have to put up with bloody conspiracy theories about his 'murder'.

Queen are thought by ppl to be "the first band to do all genres of music". At least thats what ppl tell me.

Bullshit.

Ray Charles was the first to bring rock, jazz, soul, blues, country and pop together and reduce music segregation since he played all those types of music, and Queen songs mainly all sound like opera mixed with heavy rock anyway