aberdeen-music

things that piss me off at gigs

pete_inthehills

arrgghhh!

1. folk who sing in my ear. I didn't pay 12 quid to listen to some drunken numpty singing along to every song.

2. People who want to talk to me during the gig. Hello! I'm here to listen to the music, not you whittering on.

3. One upmanship at gigs...(actual conversation) I saw Oasis before anyone knew who they were.. blah blah... I've seen the clash like 20 times...blah blah Yeah, yeah and Siouxsie Sioux is my aunty.

4. People on their own who want to bond 'cos I'm on my own. LEAVE ME ALONE! I'm here alone out of choice.

5. Tall folk who just wander up and stand directly in front of me. Be nice. You are tall, don't you realise you are blocking my view. Next time, I'll bring my axe and take you out at the knees.

6. Folk who are there socially and not for the music. Stop talking on the phone, stop prattling on about what you bought a primark or who you saw in the pub. Listen to the music, it might do you some good.

I just had to share these things. They were annoying me.

Pete

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5. Tall folk who just wander up and stand directly in front of me. Be nice. You are tall' date=' don't you realise you are blocking my view. Next time, I'll bring my axe and take you out at the knees.

[/quote']

yes!

i am not short yet somehow everyone in the crowd taller than me will stand right in front of me. (Like the HUGE guy at dragonforce, if you were behind him you will know who i mean)

If anyone's into Pink Floyd here, you'll probably know about the gig that inspired The Wall (the Monteal gig where Roger Waters spat on someone in the crowd).

I heard a bit of that gig, where he goes to start playing Pigs On The Wing. Someone was letting off fireworks. Just before the singing starts, Roger Waters stops and says "For fuck sake, I'm trying to play a fucking song here. If you want to let off fireworks go outside and do it. Do you want to hear the song? I don't give a shit. I'm sure plenty of other people in here want to hear it. I want to hear it."

Can't remember the quote exactly, but that's all in it somewhere.

Dave Gilmour also walked off the stage before the end of the gig. You can hear from the recording that the crowd were making more noise than the band. Pink Floyd would have been as well just hooking a record player up the the PA and leaving the crowd to it.

I am also a short bastard and it does always amaze me how so many tall people can choose to stand in the same place.

A thing that really pisses me off at gigs is when you go to stand near the front (you know, away from the tall people) and there are people swinging punches in the mosh pit. Dance how you want but come on!

xxx

If anyone's into Pink Floyd here' date=' you'll probably know about the gig that inspired The Wall (the Monteal gig where Roger Waters spat on someone in the crowd).

I heard a bit of that gig, where he goes to start playing Pigs On The Wing. Someone was letting off fireworks. Just before the singing starts, Roger Waters stops and says "For fuck sake, I'm trying to play a fucking song here. If you want to let off fireworks go outside and do it. Do you want to hear the song? I don't give a shit. I'm sure plenty of other people in here want to hear it. I want to hear it."

Can't remember the quote exactly, but that's all in it somewhere.

Dave Gilmour also walked off the stage before the end of the gig. You can hear from the recording that the crowd were making more noise than the band. Pink Floyd would have been as well just hooking a record player up the the PA and leaving the crowd to it.[/quote']

Got the Mp3 of that, 'tis quite funny.

One thing I hate at gigs is if your at the front and people feel the need to push in at all costs. Another thing I hate is people waving their arms around with no consideration to the peoples faces they come into contact with

Got the Mp3 of that' date=' 'tis quite funny.

One thing I hate at gigs is if your at the front and people feel the need to push in at all costs. Another thing I hate is people waving their arms around with no consideration to the peoples faces they come into contact with[/quote']

Don't know if you already know, but if you go to www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk, there's huge lists of Bit Torrent downloads of lots of soundboard recordings at gigs, unreleased stuff and so forth. Well worth checking out.

Oh dear...

alot of these are very self centered.

1. folk who sing in my ear. I didn't pay 12 quid to listen to some drunken numpty singing along to every song.

And they didnt pay 12 to stand in silence. Join in' date=' or move.

2. People who want to talk to me during the gig. Hello! I'm here to listen to the music, not you whittering on.

God Damn those sociable people. They should just stop being so cool and friendly. If it bothers you so much, be polite, make an excuse and leave.

4. People on their own who want to bond 'cos I'm on my own. LEAVE ME ALONE! I'm here alone out of choice.

See number 2

5. Tall folk who just wander up and stand directly in front of me. Be nice. You are tall' date=' don't you realise you are blocking my view. Next time, I'll bring my axe and take you out at the knees.

[/quote']

Is this at a big gig or a local gig? Big gig, yes it sucks, but i believe that person has as much right to be in front of you as a short person does, it would be unfair for tall people to always have to stand at the back and miss out on the fun. At a local gig? im sure its not that busy. im sure a one step shimmy to the side will easily remedy your problem and end your bitter suffering.

ALTHOUGH, i will give you the following.

3. One upmanship at gigs...(actual conversation) I saw Oasis before anyone knew who they were.. blah blah... I've seen the clash like 20 times...blah blah Yeah' date=' yeah and Siouxsie Sioux is my aunty.

[/quote']

Doing all these things is fair enough, bragging deserves a kick in the testes.

6. Folk who are there socially and not for the music. Stop talking on the phone' date=' stop prattling on about what you bought a primark or who you saw in the pub. Listen to the music, it might do you some good.

[/quote']

Yes. Just Yes.

Oh dear...

alot of these are very self centered.

I am self centred and supprisingly unfriendly.

But recently I must have been mellowing, because I can no longer fend off folk with a glare and a couple of one word answers.

I'm going to add another complaint that I thought of while working this morning...

7. (I think) I hate being the oldest person at a gig. At the subways gig I was at least 15 years older than the average punter. (To qualify that, this tends to happen at gigs by "up and coming" bands. Last night at the undertones I fitted in nicely.)

so if you see a wrinkly old skin head hiding in the dark at the back of the room at the next gig, that'll be me. Don't come over and say hello. (heheh)

Pete

I felt like the great-grandad I could be, at the Holy Folks/Fluffy & the Rainbow bunnies gig. Thank God for Gary Lucas next Friday, where there'll be a healthy dose of colostomy bags/walking sticks/bald patches etc etc in the audience!

Mind you, Dusty Deviada and myself were the youngest by at least 2o years when we were in CBGBs in Summer.

But we weren't moshing :rockon:

Guest Steve Irwin
i have to admit thats true.

so many arses that just go to gigs to "mosh" even if its the shittiest mellow band. can they even hear the music?

what gigs do you go to??

aberdeen is shocking for people standing statue still at gigs. even if it is a rockin band

Got the Mp3 of that' date=' 'tis quite funny.

One thing I hate at gigs is if your at the front and people feel the need to push in at all costs. Another thing I hate is people waving their arms around with no consideration to the peoples faces they come into contact with[/quote']

I too hate people who wade in.I mean if your standing 3 rows from the front there really is no where else you can go so the person coming up behind you should realise this and STOP PUSHING!

I also hate people who are standing on you so you kick or push them to get them off you and they feel the need to hit you back. :nono: These people should realise that they're standing on you and do their best to move.

i remember at the idlewild gig there was alot of idiots. when "you held the world....." was on there was some guys jumping up and down infront of me and everytime he came back down he managed to plant an elbow in my face, i had to move.

At the babyshambles gig there was some twat dancing right infront of me waving his hands about like am arse. I couldn't move because it was so busy. My point is people should have a bit more consideration for others at gigs

I agree about assholes jumping around at gigs. I saw John Martyn at Carling Academy in Glasgow. It was a seated gig but people kept getting up to go and buy pints. Surely people can last a couple of hours without having to buy drink? Obviously not. If it's at the cinema, nobody has any worries about complaining when someone gets on your tits and puts you off the film, so what's the difference at a gig (especially considering you pay more for a gig than for the pictures).

Mogwai was a lot better, everyone just stood and listened.

Guest pop-notmyface

my friend, here is your solution.

get a friend who is going to the gig take a wireless laptop with him including webcam and watch from home. maybe hire some industrial lighting, leave a few cigarettes alight in the ashtray and pour a little beer on the carpet. maybe get a bunch of friends to give you a little nudge on your shoulder once in a while. and if you close your eyes, it will almost seem like you're actually there.

problem solved. :)