aberdeen-music

do aberdeen 'music lovers' even know whats going on under their noses...?!!

Dizzy Storm

I think Aberdeen has a problem in general where there isn't a big scene consciousness out with the scene itself' date='[/quote']

I totally agre with this point. We shouldn't feel obliged to go to a gig every single day or anything, but a lot of gigs just seem so empty. I mean, I would assume people would use this site because they're interested in the local scene, but considering the number of posters, I'm sure there are a lot who just don't go to gigs very often. I'm not excusing myself from this, to be honest, as I'll admit I don't go to as many gigs as I'd like to.

You look around a small/local gig and 60-70% of those in attendance are in a band

^

^Also think that is a fantastically true observation... and slightly depressing.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bluesxman

Living outwith Aberdeen and last train home being at the abysmal time of half 10, a gig can be an expensive night out as they will run on past half 10 then it's into taxi mode. So I tend to keep it to bands I know, although I did investigate Psydoll and realy liked them at Moshulu. If I had an idea of what a band sounds like I may turn up to check them out but I don't have time to sit and download tracks. A sampler CD of acts promoted by Arkade would be of interest and I would probably pay a couple of quid for it but then I suppose producing this may be cost prohibitive? I've only been coming on here a few months so have not had time to find bands I like, although the cliques are painfully obvious and probably put a lot of people off.

we're not trying to make anyone feel guilty about not coming to our shows...just trying to get a discussion going..

i'd like to hear from people such as Papaspyrou (spelling?!) and his friends/bandmates, Adam etc who claim to like noise as in Lightning Bolt/Arab on Radar....Tom EW, people involved with bands such as Cure For Cancer etc...all you kids that are growing out of your pop punk and getting into your experimental stuff!

i know aberdeen is a hard nut to crack, and yes the population is a lot less than glasgow, and has a smaller 'art school' scene so will not compare...

I think someone already mentioned that the 'general public' are very unlikely to go and see something they haven't already read about in the paper, heard on the Radio or seen on TV. (Cue discussion on how bad Northsound/P&J are)

I'm out-of-town now so I go to very few shows these days, but even at Drakes, at almost all gigs I was at the audience consisted mainly of people in bands or mates of people in bands playing. Outwith this 'circle' there seemed to be very little promotion to the general public and the atmosphere certainly would appear 'cliquey' or even hostile (certainly not in a violent way, just a needle scratching when walking-in kind of way) to a 'punter'. If they even heard about it in the 1st place...

so I guess that has to be addressed before you'll get record turnouts... but hey, what do I know, I never yet managed to promote anything my own band has done properly ;)

A sampler CD of acts promoted by Arkade would be of interest and I would probably pay a couple of quid for it but then I suppose producing this may be cost prohibitive?

we have done this recently, some cds were available in One UP (and will be again!) but yes it is quite expensive to keep it up and also time consuming! but expect a new one out soon!

i've been to a few, unfortunately some of them clash with work which is why i hope i have day shifts on upcoming fridays and saturdays and can get to the dangerfields and macrocosmica gigs. and i'll be coming to more once i get my new flat sorted and moved into. it really isn't difficult to look into a band online, don't most of them have myspace pages? the kids love it!

all you kids that are growing out of your pop punk and getting into your experimental stuff!

Thing is, a lot of people are perfectly happy with the pop punk and don't want to move on - like for instance, I'm happy liking the music I like, I don't really care for anything new and experimental, so I really don't fit into the ideal that Arkade is (seemingly?) going for.

Maybe a trick would be to put on some varied lineups with predictable, safe, happy local bands and then put one experimental, cutting edge, fresh band on the lineup to let people see them and see what they think for themselves? It would definitely be an easier way to introduce people to the genre rather than throwing them in at the deep end, which is what these gigs are.

As for the point about different venues - I really don't know, part of me says "great idea", other part of me says "bad idea"..so i'll sit on the fence for that particular debate ;)

The fact of the matter is that most people want to see bands they already know well and like.

This is sad sheep mentality. I'm not accusing you or anybody else in particular because we all do it, I know I do. But how do you get to know and like bands well? Surely seeing 3 bands for say 4 is as good a way of getting to know them as anything else. So what else does it take?

Well, I discovered a lot of decent bands simply by being asked by a friend if I was going to a certain gig..I'd say yes because they were going, I'd meet new people, who would ask me if I was going to a certain gig..etc etc.

You have to remeber one thing, a lot of people aren't comfortable going to gigs themselves, so it relies on them getting other people to go. That's a hard thing to do, so unless your friends are already in the music scene here, it's pretty hard to start going to gigs.

I don't think it's any surprise that the most popular bands in Aberdeen are ones that sound like ones you'll hear every day on the radio and see on the TV.

we at Arkade Projects would love feedback from everyone on this....

we reckon we put in a lot of bloody effort to bring some great bands to this city. but sometimes we ask ourselves 'why the hell do we do it?!'...(well WE know why...cause we want to see them' date=' first and foremost!) but a lot of the time we are let down by bad turnouts, which leads to a strain on the pocket which could eventually lead to us not being able to do it at all.

so...we just wonder...are you, the aberdeen gig-going population, even interested in/bothered about seeing the bands we put on? what maybe puts you off coming to an Arkade Projects show? is it the wierd/different venues we are choosing?! not enough promtion? or you're just not that interested in seeing cutting edge new music?! or maybe just lazy?

we really believe we are doing something worthwhile and great for the city, bringing acts to aberdeen, and sometimes scotland, for the first time...culturally important i'd say. but if the scene isn't supported by the public it can't last...

we definately know that there were people missing at the Charlottefield/Paper Cut Out show who would have loved it...the glasgow show was packed out the door.we have great things lined up for the next few months but are nervous to tell you the truth.

where are all these anonymous faces who claim to be into the kind of stuff we want to put on?!

feedback please...![/quote']

I often wonder the same thing. A lot of the time it seems people are only interested in watching their mates bands and I've often thought of quitting. Then again, you'll get a great show and remind you why you do it.

To be fair, the bands you put on aren't the most accessable, easy on the ears kind of bands so its a very minority audience you are putting gigs on for, and I notice a lot of the time, you compare bands you put on to other obscure bands that no one has heard of. Take The Nerds show...your saying for fans of Bulemics, Antiseen. I consider myself to be quite knowledgeable in the punk world but I don't know who the Bulemics are. Surely if you said for fans of The Ramones, although it wouldn't be as accurate, more people would look?

I do like the idea of you putting gigs on in all these different places but I think you might be losing out on audiences because of it. Often, if I was in town I'd think "i wonder whats on at drakes or drummonds tonight" and walk in on the off chance of catching something good. I can't imagine people thinking "ooh i wonder whos playing the East Neuk or Captain Toms tonight".

I'd have liked to have caught both the gigs at weekend but had Along Came Man on at Tunnels on Friday and played Blood Punk Holocaust on Sat.

Anyways I'm sure when it comes to The Dangerfields gig, it'll be packed :)

You know I'd normally be there, but money is definitely an issue for me at the moment. Not going out a lot at the moment. Even though the charge isn't that high (and it's definitely worth it!), it will also mean spending money on drinks...

Also, I think the calendar you had with Drakes' was great, I could just have a look what was going to be on if I felt like going out. But you know what I want with calendars and stuff like that. I am still definitely planning to do something about that, so if you are still up for teaming up for that, let me know!

nothing wrong with attending gigs on your own, i mean it's not like you're gonna be bored sitting on your own is it? there's bands playing! watch them! have fun!

i agree about the being made to feel guilty post, no one should feel forced to go to gigs but at the same time it's nice to support worthy causes. i wouldn't say the bands on friday night were particularly 'out there' or experimental, they just had some wacky time signatures and some nice lines in feedback and build up. it was different but not too different to put people off. my gf hates most of the shit i listened to but even she found herself enjoying charlottefield. paper cut out were probably the more difficult band but it just took a bit more effort to listen then you could hear the great songs and rythyms and all was good.

and cloud, just going to gigs that your friends ask you to go to shows such an astonishing lack of imagination it's unbelievable. if you're interested in music show some interest! i'm not saying you have to go to the gigs mentioned here, just suggesting that you may be missing out on things you'll geniunely like because you're waiting for some chump to ask you like a stupid wallflower from some crap teen movie starring rachel leigh cook only i'm sure you're not as pretty. show some initiative and find those gigs that you'll like and make your own night out.

i don't go to as much gigs as i used to but that's solely down to a change in circumstances and lifestyle. i've settled down a bit and enjoy sitting in with my lovely gf and watching a dvd on the sofa. i made the effort on friday because for years i've been telling people about sweep the leg johnny and then arkade projects went and put on a band who sound exactly like sweep the leg johnny so i woulda looked a bit silly missing it. a great night had by all though, and i thought it was an okay crowd. certainly wasn't deserted.

I don't go out and see bands anywhere near as much as I did a few years ago. I put this down to spending money all too frequently going to see fairly insipid and uninspiring bands, with audiences full of dickheads. now i guess i'm residually offput, so if I'm ever tired and swilling about something, like Friday's gig, I'll often just pass up the opportunity and return to my laboratory. These days I tend to make time for the gigs I really want to go to, and then, (gasp) comme si par magique! it always turns out to be a good night. Maybe a negative way to look at things. Maybe not, as instead I spend most of my time in my 'workshop' constructing robotic manbeasts of the future - an army of enchanting hybrids of flesh and metal - and getting my feet rubbed by my boyfriend.

ive read it elsewhere, but aberdeen audiences tend to support in numbers venues & artists

that are generally bland or middle of the road, there is a definate herd or sheep gig going population that navel gazes. those of you putting on more cutting edge stuff will probably always struggle for numbers, but you should not give in to blandness, even though your market is people without a lot of money for gigs.

perhaps you need to spend more time handing out flyers with information outside venues where similar style audience is in attendence?

and cloud' date=' just going to gigs that your friends ask you to go to shows such an astonishing lack of imagination it's unbelievable. if you're interested in music show some interest! i'm not saying you have to go to the gigs mentioned here, just suggesting that you may be missing out on things you'll geniunely like because you're waiting for some chump to ask you like a stupid wallflower from some crap teen movie starring rachel leigh cook only i'm sure you're not as pretty. show some initiative and find those gigs that you'll like and make your own night out.[/quote']

But as I mentioned, some people, myself included don't particularly like going to gigs on their own. The whole concept is alien to me - if I go out, I want to be able to see people I know, not just to see some bands. I know some people on here baulk at the thought, but gigs are a social thing for me, and I suspect a lot of other people as well. If that means missing out on something that I could potentially love, so be it - it's a small price to pay for being happy. I don't really go in for talking to absolute strangers, so you can see my point.

As for the gigs Arkade have been doing recently, simply put, I like my safe pop punk and my safe biffy/idlewild ripoffs. I know what to expect from bands in that genre and it means I don't have to try and understand it - I'm not a musically minded person, so I don't appreciate complex time changes or intricate song patterns, I simply appreciate good songs.

Music is subjective - and people will vote with their feet.

That completely misses the point of Arkade.

And it's also why Kef exists.

Completely misses the point maybe, but..if the option is no gigs at all, what's the best option? one "cutting edge" band is better than no cutting edge bands, right?

It might not be the 'right' thing to say, but common sense dictates that if money is a consideration and it's being lost on these gigs, then something surely has to give?

Maybe, possibly, Aberdeen is simply rejecting what's on offer?

I don't like how this thread has turned into people giving excuses why they haven't attended shows because of money, work commitments, battling seagulls etc. It's fine if people couldn't attend, nothing wrong with that whatsoever, but I think the real point that should be discussed is how to combat the reasons for negative turnouts, which have been identified already.

The cd sampler is a good idea, but I think it should be more far reaching than just One Up. What about Peacocks, Retro Rebels, Fopp, some of the more individual coffee shops, Tunnels whenever you do a show there, Tom's, The Foyer etc.

I think you should do a magazine as well, which people could pick up free and read about the future gigs, related articles etc. Snafu do this and even though I thought some of the content wasn't great, it did make an interesting point of finding out about the shows there.

Trouble is the previous two ideas cost money...

I think the Interesting Music chaps have done something I always believed should be achieved when putting on shows. People look forward to their gigs because it's an Interesting Music night, and not just because they've heard of the bands.

Completely misses the point maybe' date=' but..if the option is no gigs at all, what's the best option? one "cutting edge" band is better than no cutting edge bands, right?

It might not be the 'right' thing to say, but common sense dictates that if money is a consideration and it's being lost on these gigs, then something surely has to give?

Maybe, possibly, Aberdeen is simply rejecting what's on offer?[/quote']

I understand your point but that's almost like saying what's the point of having conviction, ideas, and integrity. Conforming might get results but with a very bitter taste in the mouth and at what cost? Where would be the dignity?

That's why some bands form, for those very reasons.

Wasn't it pointed out that interesting music lose money on practically every gig though? They have a reputation' date=' but it's apparently came at a price. Money can't be lost forever, that's for sure.[/quote']

You're right, but the point is still valid. Their shows are eagerly anticipated, and they are becoming renowned for high quality, both are things I think you need when putting on gigs.