aberdeen-music

Top 5 best and worst vocalists??

Larsen B

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just listed people I like in my first post. I found it a tad harder to think of singers who I really don't like. The first one that sprung to mind is the singer from Glass jaw...watching them in a studio session you can see the way he really over pronounces his singing...Ape Dos Mil is an OK tune but I can't stand his vocals for any length of time.

Also I forgot to mention Freddy Mercury...legend he should be in my top 5.

Best:

Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd) - emotional, clear, and at the same time, totally rawking.

Matt Bellamy (Muse) - incredible range. I was trying to sing along to Plug-in Baby and my mum came in and asked if there was something wrong with the computer because of that weird noise

Bono (U2) - Say what you like, but he's unbelievable passionate-sounding.

Thom Yorke (Radiohead) - sounds like he's feeling everything he's singing about.

Paul McCartney (Beatles) - Oh! Darling is brilliant.

Worst:

Morrisey - just kill yourself and for god's sake, shut up.

Serj Tankian (System of a Down) - I know he's technically talented, but I just find his vocals intensely grating

The guy from the Bravery - trying and failing to sound exactly like Morrisey.

Ian Brown - seems to have got his post in the Roses purely for his charisma

Axl Rose - see above (strange coincidence!)

Best:

Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd) - emotional' date=' clear, and at the same time, totally rawking.

Matt Bellamy (Muse) - incredible range. I was trying to sing along to Plug-in Baby and my mum came in and asked if there was something wrong with the computer because of that weird noise

Bono (U2) - Say what you like, but he's unbelievable passionate-sounding.

Thom Yorke (Radiohead) - sounds like he's feeling everything he's singing about.

Paul McCartney (Beatles) - Oh! Darling is brilliant.

[/quote']

Some good choices ...I chose Lennon but should have put Macca alongside instead coz together they were special.

Just my 2 cents worth

GOOD

Mike Patton

The guy from System of a Down

Matt Bellamy (aka God)

Neil Young

Steven Tyler

Jack White

Scout Niblett

Brian Wilson

Lenny Kravitz

Tom Petty

Miho Hatori from Cibo Matto

BAD

Pete Doherty (loved the Libs but he can't sing worth a fuck)

Christina Aguilera (her voice gives me a headache)

Ian Brown (shite live)

Anthony Keidis (ever seen the Chilis live? He can't even sing in tune)

Guy from Less than Jake

Mike Skinner from the Streets

The Subways (both their voices piss me off)

Ian Brown (shite live)

I think I'm being a bit generous there, cos lets face it, he's shit on the records too.

Oh I just thought of another one I LOVE

Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs - what a voice that woman has... on the Fever To Tell album she can go from making me weep (Maps) to making me erect (Black tongue, Tick) in the space of two songs.

:love::love::love::love::love:

Guest bluesxman
I think I'm being a bit generous there' date=' cos lets face it, he's shit on the records too.

Oh I just thought of another one I LOVE

Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs - what a voice that woman has... on the Fever To Tell album she can go from making me weep (Maps) to making me erect (Black tongue, Tick) in the space of two songs.

:love::love::love::love::love:[/quote']

Good call on Karen O. Why is everyone harping on about Ian Brown as a singer? He has never been about talent as a musician, he has a long lasting legacy from being the singer for one of the best British bands ever, and is also cool as fuck generally. Without him there would be no career for Liam Gallagher and all the other wannabe monkey boys. Although i'm sure many would say that's a good thing ;)

Good call on Karen O. Why is everyone harping on about Ian Brown as a singer? He has never been about talent as a musician' date=' he has a long lasting legacy from being the singer for one of the best British bands ever, and is also cool as fuck generally. Without him there would be no career for Liam Gallagher and all the other wannabe monkey boys. Although i'm sure many would say that's a good thing ;)[/quote']

Exactly, i enjoy ian brown live, even if he cant sing, his antics are always entertaining and worth talking about, have to agree that hes not a great singer but sometimes, it doesnt matter too much.

Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs - what a voice that woman has... on the Fever To Tell album she can go from making me weep (Maps) to making me erect (Black tongue' date=' Tick) in the space of two songs.

[/quote']

I agree, Karen O has a miraculous voice.

She also has a growl to rival many Black Metal bands, as apparent in the chorus of 'Art Star'.

good :

mike patton is the centre of the singing universe.

then i'd say stevie wonder is my next favourite.

josh homme :qotsa

des from statue of misery (local band)

and phil anselmo....just coz i can

serj tankian

worst,

rob zombie

christina aquqiquqlul-rah :well over-rated. too much decoration on the vowels

mcud from hed pe

dexter holland

dez from coal chamber

daron malakian

Guest Page 99

Singers:

Robert Smith

Maria Christopher

Jacob Bannon (when he actualy sings)

Andrea zollo

non singers:

J.R Hayes

Jacob Bannon

Klas Rydberg

Jon Chang

Worst:

Both the vocalists in Atreyu

Both of the guys from Oasis

Can't think of any others, those are just the ones at the top of my mind right now.

Good:

*Mike Patton: Pretty obvious I was gonna go for him really. I've loved basically everything he's been involved with, he can rap, sing, scream, make burbly noises better than your local lunatic and does it all while looking good. I can't enthuse about his voice enough.

*Chris Cornell: Sky-scraping vocals. Again I just love the guy's voice.

*Katie Jane-Garside (Queen Adreena): Never have I heard a woman scream like this [quiet smutmasters.] Her voice holds up well live and I love the little-girl-lost vocals going into thunderous I-shall-have-your-testicles-as-an-unattractive-necklace thang.

*Jessicka (Jack Off Jill): See above basically. Although I haven't seen her live.

*Guy McKnight (The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster): Another one for great versatility which he can do live as well. Love his vocals - I'm not even offended when he screams that he wants to make sweet love to my mother. Or words to that effect.

I'm sure I've missed someone out. Someone that should be replacing Cornell...give me time...

Holy shit I forgot to mention Maynard James Keenan, he's one of my all time favourite singers.

His pros - Versitile Singer with great range and numerous vocal styles. You just have to listen to Tool in contrast to A Perfect Circle to see. Can hold a note and scream and a shout longer than I've ever thought possible see 'the grudge' fair enough there's delay on the vocal helping it along but after seeing it done longer live there's no disputing the matter.

His cons - answers on a postcard please.

another bad singer I forgot to mention was James Blunt. Horrible voice. Sounds like he's trying to sing his songs in Club Form a la Vic Reeves, and has crap lyrics like 'You're beautiful its true' and 'those three wise men they've got a semi by the sea'. Frankly I don't care if men of high intelegence are having trouble getting it up at the coast.

Good call on Karen O. Why is everyone harping on about Ian Brown as a singer? He has never been about talent as a musician' date=' he has a long lasting legacy from being the singer for one of the best British bands ever, and is also cool as fuck generally. Without him there would be no career for Liam Gallagher and all the other wannabe monkey boys. Although i'm sure many would say that's a good thing ;)[/quote']

you think the stone roses are one of the best british bands ever?? lol