aberdeen-music

class divide, aberdeen scene.

Ollie

what in the christing name of god is up with the aberdeen scene..it seem to be seperated by 'pretentious' art crap that couldnt be art if it tried where daddy's bank balance means that you have the right to act above anyone. Fair play nice instruments but dear lord learn to use them. Then theres the skint bands who actually get noticed outside of the skankhole, thanks.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what in the christing name of god is up with the aberdeen scene..it seem to be seperated by 'pretentious' art crap that couldnt be art if it tried where daddy's bank balance means that you have the right to act above anyone. Fair play nice instruments but dear lord learn to use them. Then theres the skint bands who actually get noticed outside of the skankhole' date=' thanks.[/quote']

what bands are there in aberdeen that could be called pretentious art crap?

Guest valley69
I know where he's coming from' date=' however, the discussion should be about the two kinds of music which is peddled in Aberdeen, "good and bad".[/quote']

yeh youve got a point their jeff. Money cant get a shite band famous.

Have to agree with poster...I don't really let it bother me anymore though (it used to, believe me, seeing a band who have been around 10 minutes playing on stage with stacks of quality gear then getting a lift home in daddy's range rover while we're waiting at the bus stop with our cheap shite in the pissing rain after 5 years of working really hard as a band is a bit of a kick in the teeth!)

Then I remember why I'm into this....cos I love making music! People with money, if they're not interested, will soon get bored and lap up something else. Let the babies have their bottle and get on with it! Those gigs are usually the ones infested with school friends who don't even like music.....the audience participation is so prententious its laughable. Fuck 'em!

To quote..."Life is very short and theres no time for fussing and fighting my friend" ;)

Guest DustyDeviada
what in the christing name of god is up with the aberdeen scene..it seem to be seperated by 'pretentious' art crap that couldnt be art if it tried where daddy's bank balance means that you have the right to act above anyone. Fair play nice instruments but dear lord learn to use them. Then theres the skint bands who actually get noticed outside of the skankhole' date=' thanks.[/quote']

Name and shame, you know you want to!

Yeah I heard if you were well-off your band was obviously going to be shit

And while we're at it' date=' isn't it true that all poor people eat things out of bins and wear potato sacks?[/quote']

Thats not the point being made here and you know it.

Ever been in R&B and seen some 10 year old spotty gimp who can't even play smoke on the water have his dad rara with the boss and whip out johnny CC for a US strat and Marshall stack...I waited 10 years before I could buy such things, and sort of fucked up the rest of my life for it as I couldn't afford it...

Guest DustyDeviada

Ever been in R&B and seen some 10 year old spotty gimp who can't even play smoke on the water have his dad rara with the boss and whip out johnny CC for a US strat and Marshall stack...I waited 10 years before I could buy such things' date=' and sort of fucked up the rest of my life for it as I couldn't afford it...[/size']

I know what you mean... I had to perevere with Epiphones and Squiers for years. I managed to scrape together 350 for a secondhand US tele while I was uni, but I was 23, had graduated and was working two jobs by the time I could afford to buy my first Les Paul. I sold that guitar a couple of years a go to a woman who was buying it for her son's 13th birthday for 700!

I sort of had reservations about it, as I knew there was no way that a 13 year old kid would look after a guitar like that properly, but it was a good price so I sold it. I wonder what kind of state it's in now...

I've got a collection of very nice guitars now, but the fact that I've had to play crap for years, work two jobs for the last five years and wheel and deal to get them kind of makes me appreciate them more.

But do I know how to use them? That's a different argument entirely. ;)

Have to agree with poster...I don't really let it bother me anymore though (it used to' date=' believe me, seeing a band who have been around 10 minutes playing on stage with stacks of quality gear then getting a lift home in daddy's range rover while we're waiting at the bus stop with our cheap shite in the pissing rain after 5 years of working really hard as a band is a bit of a kick in the teeth!)

Then I remember why I'm into this....cos I love making music! People with money, if they're not interested, will soon get bored and lap up something else. Let the babies have their bottle and get on with it! Those gigs are usually the ones infested with school friends who don't even like music.....the audience participation is so prententious its laughable. Fuck 'em!

To quote..."Life is very short and theres no time for fussing and fighting my friend" ;)[/quote']

/\ Spot on that man, if anything, the 'kidz' will sell their expensive gear on second hand at a reduced priced when it's time to go to Uni, or something else comes along; bargain city!

There are a lot of pretentious art-punks though.

I know what you mean... I had to perevere with Epiphones and Squiers for years. I managed to scrape together 350 for a secondhand US tele while I was uni' date=' but I was 23, had graduated and was working two jobs by the time I could afford to buy my first Les Paul. I sold that guitar a couple of years a go to a woman who was buying it for her son's 13th birthday for 700!

I sort of had reservations about it, as I knew there was no way that a 13 year old kid would look after a guitar like that properly, but it was a good price so I sold it. I wonder what kind of state it's in now...

I've got a collection of very nice guitars now, but the fact that I've had to play crap for years, work two jobs for the last five years and wheel and deal to get them kind of makes me appreciate them more.

But do I know how to use them? That's a different argument entirely. ;)[/quote']

haha...I took the easy way out and went for credit. Then lost my job pretty much the week after... Bugger! One of the best guitars I've owned was an Arai ProII which I got from Ingrams for 60 notes, seen me alright for many a gig, and I could get any sound out of it...(It's not what you're playing, its HOW you play it!) If i was gonna blow money on my kids I'd much rather spend as little as possible to see if somethings ever gonna come of it...while it is nice, very nice, really fucking nice to play a very expensive guitar...it won't help you play any better or worse whilst learning!!