aberdeen-music

SHIFT (thank you)

Jim Stax

Everyone that came along, all the bands that played, the amazingly accomodating sound team (CLS), Adam for putting together an amazing line up of short films, all that organised behind the scenes etc, Graeme, Mike and Shaz for the bands (wow), The burly but nice security guys and again all that turned up and enjoyed a unique and exceptional day, thank you!

And to everyone that moans about nothing good happening in Aberdeen and then never show their face when it does, you missed one of the best music, and free, events that has ever taken place in Aberdeen!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I feel like using some expletives but that would undermine the thank you)

Jim

Guest stuartmaxwell

best day ever.

65daysofstatic are the best band i have EVER seen, they moved me like no band has ever done

this day was awesome, gret bands, great music, great people.

aberdeen is very very lucky that we have people like shaz, jim, mike and graham etc doing what they are doing. i just wish that more people would see this

all of these fuckers in bands who reckon they are "scene" and support the scene etc should be ashamed of themselves, not only did they miss out om some special bands but they missed out on a lesson in how to play and conduct themselves. this gig was very professional and bloody well organised, seemed like a logistical nightmare but as usual the team pulled it out of the bag

i am truly blown away.

thank you abdn

That was a brilliant day, a really fantastic line-up of some amazing bands.

Alan Cynic was as great as ever.

The Nucleotides were like Devo posing as a surf band and the brain's my new best friend.

Salon Boris were good too, but I feel a few technical issues made their set seem a little less dynamic than it could have been.

Marcia Blane School For Girls made me moist with glee. Spine tingling stuff.

Drat were on fantastic form. Is it just me or do they sound much more robust these days? The Drakes gigs were all underpinned with quite a fragile tone, but last night they were majorly rocking.

Would have loved to have stayed to see 65days, but had to jet off down the road to Dundee.

Visuals were fantastic, too - The whole time I was there was really slick and you could instantly tell how much effort had gone in to it. Thanks to all involved.

unfortunately i could not stay to see the whole list of bands playing but the highlight was defo the guy who got u and started dancing to salon boris, totally oot his box lol!!!

only got to see the kitchen cynics, nucleotides and the end of salon boris and enjoyed what i did see.

Brilliant day. I was kind of in and out a couple of times, so didn't get to see everyone but -

Mr Cynic - great as usual, and really set the tone for the day.

Nucleotides - I was a bit wary when I saw them in matching uniforms as I thought they might be a bit gimmicky, but they were great. Really tight, and amazing tunes. Spoke to a couple of them afterwards and they were really nice, and totally impressed with Shift...

Drat - legendary, one of my all time favourite bands. Also spoke to the singer afterwards, he said they were playing Aberdeen again in June but didn't know where. Tunnels maybe, anyone know?

Sound Development Agency - meh... quite impressively solid to start with, but then just went on and on exactly the same. Would be really good late on in a festival when you're utterly blasted though.

That's all I managed to see unfortunately, but what a great gig. Superbly organised with a terrific line-up, and top quality visuals. But where were all the Aberdeen band types who always moan about the lack of quality original gigs round here? You won't get much better than that...

alan' date=' i'm sooo sorry, but i slept in and missed your highly anticipated set. i woke at 2.25 going "where should i be... there's something happening somewhere....".

.[/quote']

No problems! There were enough friendly familiar faces in the audience anyway...it helped me relax...so thanks everyone! :love:

Guest neil ex

Kitchen Cynics always seems to start off a little nervously, then always really picks up his sets after the first couple of songs.. He has great songs, and he was a joy to watch, as usual..

The Nucleotides were really great.. Really great tunes with lots of hooks.. Quite bizarre too. 'We are The Nucleotides, you are not'!

The Aberdeen Angus steak pie I got from Archibald Simpsons was good. A big plate for the money, nice gravy, great pieces of meat, and the chips were pretty good aswell. The Weatherspoon's own ketchup is nice too..

I only caught about 15 minutes of Solan Boris, I enjoyed their set.. though I think they lacked a bit of energy, maybe to do with the size of the stage.. They did have quite a few technical hitches aswell..

Marcia Blaine School for Girls were quite amazing.. Really intense. That was the second time I've seen them, and they impressed me a lot more this time round..

Had to leave twenty minutes into Drat's set. I was enjoying their set, and was quite disappointed about having to leave early.. Really accessible, up-lifting songs..

The visuals were really cool aswell.

I had such a fantastic day.. A lot of hard work had obviously gone into what had turned out to be a very professionally organised event. So thank you very much, all involved. We do really appreciate that..

And if you thought Stuart Maxwell could stoop no lower than the Fudge Awards.. Think again! A terrible performance, Stuart! *shakes head*