aberdeen-music

What Cd's have you been buying recently?

Paranoid Android

Quicksand - manic compression

I remember everyone in my fourth year at school having a copy of this on tape. I think they were all copied from the one CD that someone owned. I don't think I much cared for it at the time. Is it any good now? I assumed them to be clones riding on the coat-tails of the grunge but it seems they were an influential post hardcore band......

I remember everyone in my fourth year at school having a copy of this on tape. I think they were all copied from the one CD that someone owned. I don't think I much cared for it at the time. Is it any good now? I assumed them to be clones riding on the coat-tails of the grunge but it seems they were an influential post hardcore band......

You assumed wrong, they don't sound grungey at all :)

They're along a simlar line to things like Far.

You assumed wrong, they don't sound grungey at all :)

They're along a simlar line to things like Far.

Neither they do, I just listened online to the one I remember - Skinny (It's Overflowing).

I think I bracketed them in with all the grunge stuff because it was guitar music from America in the early to mid 90s.....

The music naivety of a teenage Shaki!

Quicksand were incredible. I got Slip from the second hand section of 1up today for 3. I'd been meaning to buy it for ages but never did. Slip is a great record. Manic Compression sounds weird due to it being recorded in multiple sessions. Some songs sound almost like a different band. Still ace though.

Rival Schools had so much potential to be great, but as a result, they are just alright. The unreleased Quicksand/Rival Schools albums has some of their best songs on it though. Hostage Calm is the best song Walter ever wrote.

Quicksand were incredible. I got Slip from the second hand section of 1up today for 3. I'd been meaning to buy it for ages but never did. Slip is a great record. Manic Compression sounds weird due to it being recorded in multiple sessions. Some songs sound almost like a different band. Still ace though.

Rival Schools had so much potential to be great, but as a result, they are just alright. The unreleased Quicksand/Rival Schools albums has some of their best songs on it though. Hostage Calm is the best song Walter ever wrote.

I really like the Rival Schools album. Not so keen on the split with OneLineDrawing.

But Undercover On and High Acetate are both tunes and so is Used For Glue, I don't care how scene that makes me. So great!

I really like the Rival Schools album. Not so keen on the split with OneLineDrawing.

But Undercover On and High Acetate are both tunes and so is Used For Glue, I don't care how scene that makes me. So great!

I do like the album a fair bit. I think it is shadowed by Quicksand a little, therefore isn't as good, for me anyway. High Acetate is a great song, as is Travel By Telephone. Have a scoot around for the unreleased album. Man, Hostage Calm just slays. I don't know if it was meant to be a Quicksand or Rivals School song, but its awesome.

The Posies - Frosting On The Beater

The Breeders - Title TK

The Breeders - Last Splash

Run DMC - Greatest Hits

The Bellrays - Meet The Bellrays

And a Del-Fi surf rock compilation called Surf Monsters: Krypt Kickin' A-Go-Go! Which is pretty ace.

Surf-Monsters-SMALL.jpg

2nd hand section in One Up? They've had loads of good stuff recently....pity I've already got so much of it, could have saved a fortune....

If I had spotted that surf CD last week I would have had it for the cover alone.

Which reminds me, I also bought 'In Heaven' by The Meteors as I only have it on vinyl. I'm having a psychobilly revival....

It was the cover that attracted me initially, I love zombie shit, psychobilly, horrorpunk etc. Beautiful stuff. Have you heard Blue Demon or The Young Werewolves? They are pretty ace.

The Posies are a band I have never heard of. I just bought it cos I liked their name. It's very good, I got lucky!