aberdeen-music

Hear Ye Hear Ye Hear Ye!!!!!!

Dizzy Storm

So sudden and awful. Now where can the kids find shelter? Where will the crime-punks perform?

It was a sad day when the old Drakes closed its doors, but at least there was the new improved Dr Drakes to look forward to. What now? What can be done? Do the cryptic positive messages allude to a Drakes Mark 3? Alas, I fear not.

As has been said before, the staff, the atmosphere and general attitude of Drakes has always set it apart from other venues. Since 1998 I have enjoyed this, now today I learn it will soon be over. Where else can a band climb all over furniture, a fat naked man dangle keys from his genitalia, a Zone of Justice be demarcated on stage, and the staff recognise & accept these gestures as some kind of, albeit warped, personal expression?

Dr Drakes is the spiritual home of King Liar and the Brutes and various other bastard creations that I have been involved with, even ones that have only been talked about. I really don't know where else these monsters can go to roar and dance.

My sincere thanks to all who have been involved with making Dr Drakes what it was, I am sure it will be long remembered and talked about. I plan on making the most of it while it's still here.

im very sad to hear this!!

i loved drakes back when it was at the castlegate, with the weird awesome art on the walls.....

and i loved drakes on shiprow, it was like a different period of my life spent in there....

awesome venue, awesome people! sorry to say bye bye

(and all this within a week of busted splitting up....i dont think i can cope with such losses!)

:( I'm deeply shocked and saddened... we have played at Drakes, Old and New, far more times than I can even begin to comprehend... we played the last gig at Old Drakes... then when it wasn't really the last gig we played there again ;) Many happy memories of dancing about like a fool climbing over all the fixtures, and never a word of complaint from the legendary staff... The mighty 13-man Immortal Wombat performance we put on a year or so ago too. Not to mention the amount of other ace bands which I've seen there over the years. :(

I'm just happy that we ahve the chance to play there one more time, Saturday night for us will be the end of an era. The city mourns an Institution and legend.

Gutted! Gutted! Gutted!

It'll be sorely missed. Good luck to Jim, Shaz and the crew, and thanks for some great nights and even better hangovers. Started my perfoming and promotional antics at the Doctors and all the artists I put on loved the venue. No atmosphere like it. I type with a heavy heart...

onwards and upwards...

Andy

www.vocoustics.com

yesterday i was like: 'ah, shit. i can't believe it's happened.'

today i'm like: 'MY HEART HAS BEEN WRENCHED OUT AND MY IDENTITY STOLEN. AAARGHH!'

personally, i loved every second (excluding those dreadful techno alldayers) that i was there in whichever capacity: barman, promoter or singer.

deadloss played both of the 'last gigs' at drakes, and are only sorry we won't get to say goodbye to the doctors place in style by breaking the furniture and copulating on the bar.

tonight, i'm getting fucked-up. i'll see you there.

Guest stuartmaxwell

come get fucked up on friday brian.

if you are working on friday i can give you rubbish drunken ramblings on friday and you can kid on that you are listening to me

i can see it now

its starting to sink in that there is going to be no drakes at drakes

cheers everybody....i think you all now feel our pain too! but out of everything said, i think patricks quote below says it all....its so spot on

shaz xx

Unfortunately this is often the way - you see places that are pure of vision' date=' ideologically sound, places that you feel at home... they always struggle. The free market has no respect for creative ideologies, unfortunately.[/quote']

Guest stuartmaxwell

friday night will be excellent fun

im even tempted to go on saturday night too

i cant handle the beer these days, it might get messy.

brian i challenge thee to a drink fest

aargh this is real now isnt it....hmm..where do i start....apart from a bit of this.... ;(

seriously...its a totally gutting situation' date=' but it had to happen....but onwards and upwards as they say.....you're not getting rid of us that easily!! hehe!

cant begin just now (its late! but i probably will tomorrow!) to say thanks to everyone who has been involved over the past nearly 3 years in bringing quality music to our wee room - its been amazing...

i should sleep now though!

sharon :love:[/quote']

man, that sucks! really sorry to hear that, as drakes was my first club to go to when i got here, the first place i played in scotland, and the only venue here that reminded me of austin...damn! i keep popping into other venues but none of them had the vibe drakes had or took the chances they did with different type musics...well, best wishes for future endeavors sharon, jim and all....now where the hell am i going to pop into when i want to be surprised by something different!

b.

www.billthompson.org

Guest Bob Double Jack

:moody:

This is devastating news. I remember all the gigs we've played at Drakes with great memories of great laughs, and great drinking sessions. I remember playing at the Old Drakes in the Castlegate when we were "C*st of S****s" and not leaving til god knows what time in the morning, and having a jam into the early hours, where Del fell asleep behind his kit mid tune. Class.

I love playing Drakes, and it will be sorely missed. We will be putting on a fuckin belter this weekend to pay tribute to the sad demise of one of the best and most diverse venues in the North East.

And I shall also buy the bar staff a pint (yes, you heard right).

See You on saturday

Bob

absolutely fucking gutted about this. Maxi said to me earlier it felt like a close friend has died and I completely agree. Drakes was the beating heart of Aberdeen music since it's inception 6 years ago. I've had some of the best nights of my life in there over the years and seen some of the best bands, and I can't imagine anywhere coming close to it in the near future.

The dedos played our first and last gigs at drakes and owed so much to them, as do many bands in the area for putting them onstage, turning the volume up and letting them get on with it. Drakes and all it's staff, past and present, you have my thanks and best wishes.

I'm going to go and dig in the back of the couch now and find enough money to head down tomorrow night and have one last piss up.

Guest Scorge Spike

This is really bad news.

I've enjoyed pretty much every visit either as a player or a spectator, and look forward to a last visist behind the decks of death on Saturday. All the best for the staff, whetever comes next.

:cheers: