aberdeen-music

The List top 50 Scottish Bands

jester1470

THE Glasgow pop group Belle and Sebastian have been named best Scottish band of all time, provoking furious debate among music fans.

Travis and Idlewild followed in second and third places in the List magazine poll of the top 50 bands, sponsored by Orange and backed by Radio 1 and Radio Scotland.

But in one major surprise, the biggest story in Scottish rock this year - Franz Ferdinand - appear to have some work to do with their fans north of the Border. They lagged in 15th place.

And two artists who appeared in the List magazines original guide to a top 50, before voting began, have dropped out of the rankings entirely - John Martyn and Rod Stewart.

The top ten, garnered from a poll of 12,000 music lovers, mirrored the wide variety of Scottish music talent, ranging to the Seventies pop and rock bands the Bay City Rollers and the Sensational Alex Harvey Band.

Franz Ferdinand have picked up a string of awards in the past year. They won the Mercury Music Prize in September and were named the most influential band of 2004 by the US music magazine Spin.

"Im surprised that they have come in so low, because they are so prominent in peoples minds right now as a really audacious and striking band," The Scotsmans music critic Fiona Shepherd, said. "People tend to vote for more recent artists."

Alec Downie, of New Music in Scotland, the music development agency, said: "Its a bit of fun and it raises the profile of Scottish music.

The downside in certain ways is that it may be false because it is of the moment, especially in the modern age when its subject to who has the biggest mailing list and who is willing to shamelessly self-promote.

"Would Franz Ferdinand be bothered to tell their fans they are nominated, so will they get any votes? Bands like that consider themselves too cool.

"Belle and Sebastian have got a huge network of people. Look at how many albums they have sold with little marketing, there is obviously quite a loyal following built up with successive albums."

Told that John Martyn had not made the list, he said: "That is criminal."

The music industry consultant Ronnie Gurr - who is co-ordinating the attendance of Scottish bands at this years South by Southwest music industry festival in Austin, Texas - joked he was "outraged" that the Skids were relegated to 49. "Theres obviously not enough of us punk rock warriors left," he said.

The Scottish vocalist Fish, who made the list at 18, although his band Marillion did not, said: "Its age groups and all the rest of it. If I was naming bands, I would probably put the Eurythmics and Annie Lennox at the top."

Belle and Sebastian, an art-house indie band, were formed nine years ago in an all-night cafe in Glasgow after the singer and songwriter Stuart Murdoch and bass guitarist Stuart David met on a government training scheme.

Their first album, released through Stow College, was recorded in just three days and now changes hands for up to 400 a copy.

Ms Shepherd said the group were known as much for their "independent attitude" as for a string of hits - their album Dear Catastrophe Waitress was nominated for a Mercury Prize last year.

Idlewild are winning radio time for their new single, Love Steals Us From Loneliness, and are among the Scottish bands picked to perform at the South by Southwest event.

Lulu scraped in at 48, while the Shamen were last in the rankings. The Eurythmics made 38. Edinburgh stalwarts the Proclaimers came tenth.

The magazines music editor, Marc Robertson, said yesterday that everyone would have strong opinions about the rankings.

He said: "The idea behind the project was simple - to rediscover the very best of Scottish music from the finest musical talent, spanning from the age of Seventies rock through to Eighties pop right up to todays international stars ... the response was amazing."

A spokesman for Orange said the company hoped it had "raised the profile of all the bands and the exciting Scottish music scene"

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stuartmaxwell

er i just got a call from the p an j, they are printing my rant and it will be in tomorrow

whoops!its not exactly well written in anyway, sounds like an agnsty skoolkid (not the k and NOT c) spat his eyeliner out.

oh well, buy the p and j

theyu somehow got my home fone number too which is very very strange as i didnt give it to them....

er i just got a call from the p an j' date=' they are printing my rant and it will be in tomorrow

whoops!its not exactly well written in anyway, sounds like an agnsty skoolkid (not the k and NOT c) spat his eyeliner out.

oh well, buy the p and j

theyu somehow got my home fone number too which is very very strange as i didnt give it to them....[/quote']

maybe you are a regular? They are watching you...

Glad Idlewild got a high position not too sure about Travis though. Althought their debut is brilliant they kinda go downhill with the other albums.

Where is the top 50 list?

I remember reading the booklet about the inductees.

I think I voted for Snow Patrol or Idlewild.

The 50 Best Scottish Bands Of All Time (as voted for by the public) are as follows:

1 Belle & Sebastian

2 Travis

3 Idlewild

4 Wet Wet Wet

5 Sensational Alex Harvey Band

6 Simple Minds

7 Teenage Fanclub

8 Bay City Rollers

9 Primal Scream

10 The Proclaimers

11 Texas

12 Mull historical society

13 Big country

14 Snow Patrol

15 Franz Ferdinand

16 Bis

17 Deacon Blue

18 Fish

19 Jesus and Mary Chain

20 Mogwai

21 Runrig

22 Trash Can Sinatras

23 Del Amitri

24 Orange Juice

25 Nazareth

26 Beta Band

27 Biffy Clyro

28 Altered Images

29 Aztec Camera

30 Eddi Reader

31 Goodbye Mr Mackenzie

32 Fire Engines

33 Delgados

34 Arab strap

35 Vaselines

36 Associates

37 The Pastels

38 Eurythmics

39 Aereogramme

40 Blue Nile

41 Boards of Canada

42 Rezillos

43 Incredible string band

44 Cocteau twins

45 Dogs Die in Hot Cars

46 Spare Snare

47 Average White Band

48 Lulu

49 Skids

50 Shamen

Guest stuartmaxwell

they left out the bit that i had mentioned about how little attention that SHIFT got and how it is ignoring the art + music scene in scotland.

and it was really rant more than a letter. oops!

who needs well written letters

Belle and Sebastian deserve it. What other band could have bagpipes in a song without it being cringe-inducing? Let's face it, they piss all over so much so-called indie, who are a million miles from the inspiration of B&S - the poetry of the lyrics (both waspish and delicate), the aching beauty of the music, senstive without being whining bedwetters (Keane, Travis, Coldplay, all that insipid rubbish that clogs radio like rank tealeaves)...

Fish is there, but Marillion are where he made music that's any good to listen to! "Misplaced Childhood" is a classic.

And where are the EXPLOITED????

I also think of the KLF as Scottish. Bill Drummond may be known for his involvement in the Liverpool punk scene, managing Tead Drop Explodes etc, but his lugubrious accent on "Build A Fire" from KLF's "The White Room" is worth nominating him for!