aberdeen-music

The List top 50 Scottish Bands

jester1470

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fish is there' date=' but Marillion are where he made music that's any good to listen to! "Misplaced Childhood" is a classic. [/quote']

Well Marillion werent/arent a Scottish band, Fish was the only Scotsman in it, they're as much an Irish band as they have an Irishman in them too, and Fish has made plenty of great solo music, it just hasn't been as popular because musical trends change, his latest album Field of Crows is potentially the best album he's done since leaving Marillion. Tho you might be interetsed to know that he's taking Misplaced Childhood on tour this year to celebrate the 20th anniversary.

I'm more inclined to wonder where Talking Heads is, easily as Scottish as bands like Eurythmics, and much better.

Cheers

Stuart

Well Marillion werent/arent a Scottish band' date=' Fish was the only Scotsman in it, they're as much an Irish band as they have an Irishman in them too, and Fish has made plenty of great solo music, it just hasn't been as popular because musical trends change, his latest album Field of Crows is potentially the best album he's done since leaving Marillion. Tho you might be interetsed to know that he's taking Misplaced Childhood on tour this year to celebrate the 20th anniversary.

I'm more inclined to wonder where Talking Heads is, easily as Scottish as bands like Eurythmics, and much better.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

similarly Snow Patrol are Irish and only one of Franz Ferdinand is scottish. But they are both based in glasgow so I suppose that counts.

I can't say I blame the P&J' date=' I have no idea who the hell Bell and Sabiestien are (unless they're those freaks that sung the song "Shut up and sleep with me"..... ?( but what the hell would they expect any to have been born after the 1900's to vote for Jimmy Shand?!?!?![/quote']

Well undoubtedly Jimmy Shand had a bigger cultural impact than most people on the list... I'm n=ot sure why its got so much outrage on here tbh.

Cheers

Stuart

i guess it's not really a question of outrage, more exasperation. i'm certainly not outraged by the p and j i just felt that they're a bit out of touch and could at least try and understand what was happening in scotland rather than complaining about it. nothing wrong with jimmy shand but it was a poll of the public and i guess that shows his current cultural impact if he's not in there. there's a lot of pish in it but there's some good stuff too and just the fact that mogwai and arab strap are in a list of top 50 bands ever as voted for by the general public is quite superb seeing as neither are particularly top 40 hitmakers.

At the end of the day these lists are always rubbish because the bands that are still around are fresher in the memories of those who vote, so good bands of 5/10 years ago are often forgotten about whilst average bands of today are remembered and included. In general, all top10s/top50s/top100s are about as valid as Top of The Pops etc.

Forget this list. There will be another almost completely wrong, but different list next year.

i guess it's not really a question of outrage' date=' more exasperation. i'm certainly not outraged by the p and j i just felt that they're a bit out of touch and could at least try and understand what was happening in scotland rather than complaining about it. nothing wrong with jimmy shand but it was a poll of the public and i guess that shows his current cultural impact if he's not in there. there's a lot of pish in it but there's some good stuff too and just the fact that mogwai and arab strap are in a list of top 50 bands ever as voted for by the general public is quite superb seeing as neither are particularly top 40 hitmakers.[/quote']

Yeah but this post isnt voted for by the widespread general public if you go to mogwai's site or mailing list i bet that they were encouraged to go and vote, same with the other obscure bands. I know that it was mentioned on the SAHB mailing list which is the only reason he made it so high. It is a test of how the bands use their fanbase in the case of obscure bands. if it was a realistic poll theres no way b&s would be above Frtanz Ferdinand, the difference i b&s fans took it more seriously than FF fans did because they need more publicity, with enough fan power we could have got MMw or any aberdeen band on there.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest Scorge Spike
At the end of the day these lists are always rubbish because the bands that are still around are fresher in the memories of those who vote' date=' so good bands of 5/10 years ago are often forgotten about whilst average bands of today are remembered. In general, all top10s/top50s/top100s are about as valid as Top of The Pops etc.

Forget this list. There will another almost completely wrong, but different list next year.[/quote']

Seconded.

Yeah but this post isnt voted for by the widespread general public

You're right. It was voted for by readers of the list. It's a snapshot, nothing more. In which case why did the P&J even bother doing an editorial on it? The thing that annoyed me the most about the P&J editorial was that they will ignore music in scotland day in day out, but then when they finally do publish an article they moan and whinge about jimmy fucking shand, instead of being positive that scotland has produced and is continuing to produce enough quality acts to fill a tp 50 that generates genuine debate. Hell they could even have gone with the local angle and mentioned that one of Idlewild's members is from Banff.

and Fish has made plenty of great solo music' date=' it just hasn't been as popular because musical trends change, his latest album Field of Crows is potentially the best album he's done since leaving Marillion. Tho you might be interetsed to know that he's taking Misplaced Childhood on tour this year to celebrate the 20th anniversary.

[/quote']

The only good thing I've heard from Fish was Vigil In The Wilderness and then it went downhill especially his voice. Haven't heard the new one but I ain't holding my breath.

Surley he's there because of Marillion and his loyal fanbase voting

That fucking P&J article...

"Belle and who?" you may ask. Most might drop the Belle and just ask: "Who?" Jimmy Shand and his band don't make the top 50, unlike the Fire Engines, The Vaselines and Spare Snare, who did. There's just no accounting for taste.

So fast to be critical of B+S even though the writer admits he/she hasn't heard of them. How can you judge something you haven't heard. Fucking ignorant arrrrghhhh...

Maxi - Can you post your letter? I didn't realise it was in.... (only just saw the thread) and would rather like to read it. Danke.

Dave's letter:

Sir - I write with reference to the editorial comment headed "Survey out of tune?". I fear it is your own paper which is out of tune. While being no big fan of the winners, I think the survey compiled an admirable list of some of Scotland's most influential and important pop groups of the last 40 years - Belle and Sebastian themselves being past Brit Award winners and a regular top 40 act. Perhaps it;s time the P&J stopped dwelling on the likes of Jimmy Shand and made an attempt to get back in touch with the rest of Scotland's population.

For years, Scotland's pop and rock acts have been something of which to be proud, but only since the likes of Franz Ferdinand achieved any kind of across the board praise has anyone really started to take notice. Yet for years, Scottish groups such as The Vaselines (a small group called Nirvana covered one of their songs) have been influencing bands in this country and in America, Europe and Japan.

Maxi's letter:

Sir- Your editorial comment on the cream of Scottish music was rather negative. In the Press and journal's eyes, it seems that a band cannot be a great band unless they are splattered around in themedia, signed to a big label, compromisig their integrity to sell more recors, and so on. I think the Comment showed how out of touch the P&J really is when it comes to the Scottish music scene (independant or otherwise). True, many of the bands on that list are rubbish. However, to shun bands because you haven't heard them is pretty appalling.

And now my arm hurts from typing...

The only good thing I've heard from Fish was Vigil In The Wilderness and then it went downhill especially his voice. Haven't heard the new one but I ain't holding my breath.

Surley he's there because of Marillion and his loyal fanbase voting

Nah, he's still a big cult artist in Scotland, I saw him play to a sold out Glasgow Carling Academy last year to over 1000 people. His vocals aren't the same but he's finally learned to adjust his material to suit. The second last album he did really didn't work because he tried to sing his old style songs with a voice ruined from years of mistreatment. FoC is a much tighter album, its seen by most as easily the best since Vigil. He also had the advantage of a band made up of Bruce Watson and Mark Brzezicki from Big Country who brought a whole new level of musicianship missing since the partnership with Marillion. If you listen to it expecting Fish from Marillion you'll be disappointed, same as if you listen to Marillion now expecting it to be as it was in the 80's you'll be similarly disappointed. If you listen to it as an artist making a good album you might like it.

Cheers

Stuart

You're right. It was voted for by readers of the list. It's a snapshot' date=' nothing more. In which case why did the P&J even bother doing an editorial on it? The thing that annoyed me the most about the P&J editorial was that they will ignore music in scotland day in day out, but then when they finally do publish an article they moan and whinge about jimmy fucking shand, instead of being positive that scotland has produced and is continuing to produce enough quality acts to fill a tp 50 that generates genuine debate. Hell they could even have gone with the local angle and mentioned that one of Idlewild's members is from Banff.[/quote']

yea, what he said. word.

Well I don't like post Fish Marillion (apart from After Me which is superb) but I will no doubt get an earful of the Fish CD when I next visit the postie in Keith

I think Marillion have lost their way a bit in the last 4 albums myself. There's only one Fish album i really dont like and thats Sunsets on Empire, proving again, there's nothing so good Steve Wilson from Porcupine Tree can't destroy by getting involved in...

Cheers

Stuart

Dave's letter:

Sir - I write with reference to the editorial comment headed "Survey out of tune?". I fear it is your own paper which is out of tune. While being no big fan of the winners' date=' I think the survey compiled an admirable list of some of Scotland's most influential and important pop groups of the last 40 years - Belle and Sebastian themselves being past Brit Award winners and a regular top 40 act. Perhaps it;s time the P&J stopped dwelling on the likes of Jimmy Shand and made an attempt to get back in touch with the rest of Scotland's population.

For years, Scotland's pop and rock acts have been something of which to be proud, but only since the likes of Franz Ferdinand achieved any kind of across the board praise has anyone really started to take notice. Yet for years, Scottish groups such as The Vaselines (a small group called Nirvana covered one of their songs) have been influencing bands in this country and in America, Europe and Japan.

Maxi's letter:

Sir- Your editorial comment on the cream of Scottish music was rather negative. In the Press and journal's eyes, it seems that a band cannot be a great band unless they are splattered around in themedia, signed to a big label, compromisig their integrity to sell more recors, and so on. I think the Comment showed how out of touch the P&J really is when it comes to the Scottish music scene (independant or otherwise). True, many of the bands on that list are rubbish. However, to shun bands because you haven't heard them is pretty appalling.

And now my arm hurts from typing...[/quote']

Thankyou!!!! :)

I'm also surprised Midge Ure isn't there as one of Scotlands most consistant musicians having written number top 5 hits in the 70's,80's,90's and 00's you'd think he'd be up for inclusion. He's also a brilliant producer and is still the musical director for most of the huge gigs such as the Princes Trust gigs that happen in the Uk.

Cheers

Stuart

I'm also surprised Midge Ure isn't there as one of Scotlands most consistant musicians having written number top 5 hits in the 70's' date='80's,90's and 00's you'd think he'd be up for inclusion. He's also a brilliant producer and is still the musical director for most of the huge gigs such as the Princes Trust gigs that happen in the Uk.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Stop being surprised that your favourite, long past their best, artists didn't make the list. It was voted for by readers of the List magazine. The majority of which probably don't give a fuck about midge ure and certainly don't tihnk he's relevent or important today.

Stop being surprised that your favourite' date=' long past their best, artists didn't make the list. It was voted for by readers of the List magazine. The majority of which probably don't give a fuck about midge ure and certainly don't tihnk he's relevent or important today.[/quote']

Ah yes because Altered Images, the Bay City Rollers and Bis are so relevant to music today. Like it or not Midge did produce and co-write last years top selling single, he's won Ivor Novello's and Grammy's he's sold millions of albums, written many classic songs and as late as 1998 he was still having top 20 hits and a No.1 in Italy, Germany, Austria and Switzerland, slightly better than Bis. He's selling out venues this year ranging from 600-2000 capacities throughout the UK, he had a number 1 bestselling book last year, I'm not quite sure where you're coming from except for the fact you don't think he's relevant or important. Most of the bands on their votestuffed - Belle and Sebastien are not the best or most popular band in Scotland, they're the ones who use their mailing lists best, that much is pretty obvious. As for past his best he's still a great performer and producer, makes me laugh that half the people on here go on about how selling albums doesn't make you good etc and yet assume because someone isn't popular anymore they're not doing their best work and past it.

I can be surprised because it seems like a strange ommision considering the bands that have made it, or do you really feel Bis have done more in music than Midge or John Martyn who's also absent ?

Cheers

Stuart

Guest Zeenat Aman
... he says' date=' shamelessly namedropping)[/quote']

Yeah, erm, I danced round the delicate awol kitchen table with Isobel... not long after sitting round a big fire outside with Will Oldham, Alisdair Roberts and co...

Twas a strange day/evening! :up: