aberdeen-music

iPod v Creative Zen

ChameleonSimon

Okay, I've finally given in and decided to buy an MP3 player. Can't decide between the iPod or Creative Zen (both 20Gb). What I like about the Creative is that it plays wma files, most of my music collection is already on my computer so this makes the transfer easy. I'm told the new iTunes software will convert wma to MP3, but has anyone done this and if so is it an easy process? Really can't be arsed to reload all my cds onto the computer again.

If anyone has experience of both these players and formed an opion as to which is the best, please let me know.

Thank you.

I've got a 30 gig Creative Zen Xtra, and I love it to bits. I was tempted for ages by an iPod, but after playing with a friends and then comparing it to my flatmates Zen, I went with Creative. Sure, it's not as pretty, but it sits in my pocket all the time so who's to care or know? The price was the major sway for me, I paid 155 for a 30 gig from www.scan.co.uk

I wouldn't know about the file part of your question, I assume it's easy enough to convert from wma to mp3. Can you use the iPod as a portable hard drive for any file type other than music, that is?

If you're going for the newer Zen Touch model, I'd go with that over the iPod personally.

Recently got one of the Hi-Capacity MD recorders' date=' i'd suggest them as a great ipod alternative currently got about 12 albums on one disc so far.

Also good for recording band practices and using as an external drive.[/quote']

Got one of those net md recorders, fucked within 12 months

Problem with them is too many moving parts = less dependability

So i went for a pen drive, its great

HDD070_05_webImageFullSize.jpg

Philips HDD070/05' date='

2 gig HDD / FM radio / USB mass storage / 10 hrs battery life / backlit lcd, it's about the size of a credit card and weighs next to nothing ( a lot lighter than an ipod for sure). I got one for 99 quid.[/quote']

You have been sowen up!

30 gig ones only cost around the 150 quid mark

I'm getting a Creative Zen Micro delivered tomorrow. Every thing I've read and everyone I've talked to has recommended Creative over Apple. The only plus I could find about the iPod was that it's easier to navigate. Oh, and supposedly it looks cool. Who knew? www.advancedmp3players for me too, but only because eBuyer were out of stock until after Christmas.

Well, I was ready to ask for a fourth generation 20GB iPod for Xmas but in the end I've ditched that idea and gone with this instead:

IM_NW-HD3B.jpg

http://www.sony.co.uk/PageView.do?site=odw_en_GB&page=ProductCategoryHomeWithArticleFirstSection&article=1101282389584&section=en_GB_Products&productcategory=%2FAudio%2FPortable+Audio+-+Walkman

Smaller, faster and much longer battery life than any iPod - and all for a similar price. Still have to use the horrendous Sony SonicStage software but I can live with that now that the player supports MP3 natively.

Smaller' date=' faster and much longer battery life than any iPod - and all for a similar price. Still have to use the horrendous Sony SonicStage software but I can live with that now that the player supports MP3 natively.[/quote']

Death. To. SonicStage.

At least my new Alvin Starclusk pooter doesn't crash every time I turn on the fucking program....

Guest onlynik

Creative all the way, wouldn't thon Apple pish, your paying for the brand,"Look I have an Ipod," Aye woopy fucking do.

Oh and as for sonicstage, it point blankly refuses to run on my machine, utter pish. Sony can take their players and shove them up their arse.

i've got a 40gb ipod and i actually love it more than i love dwarves, itunes is so easy to use and it does convert all my wma files along the lines of dragging it from my music into itunes.

i went along the lines of thinking that if i was gonna spend so much money on something after buying a cd walkman, and two md walkmans (walkmen?) in the last few years i might as well go for something that i may fine well never fill, but hey at least i can use it for powerpoint presentations and shit too.

in related news, if you order before christmas you get free engraving.