aberdeen-music

Biffy Almost Sold Out

Ross

You can argue all you like about whether or not Biffy have sold out. However, you seem to all be missing the point, which is:

Biffy have become embarrassingly Godawful in the last few years. They are an affront to the band that they once were

Well that was pretty much what I was asking when I resurrected the thread...

Here's a litte example of the ridiculous "sell-out" debate that I saw fairly recently.

Ewan of Headlight fame (Stichman on here) posted something about how shite Snow Patrol are since they sold out, he was a fan of their earlier albums etc. but they now just write songs aimed at stadium tours with big singalong choruses etc etc. I can't vouch for how much truth is in that because I am completely unaware of Snow Patrol before the Final Straw album, but the thinking behind it doesn't sit well with me because Snow Patrol can do whatever the fuck Snow Patrol like in my opinion.

Same Ewan of Headlight fame just recently posted on his Facebook that he was getting tired of Muse and their "spaceship" related songs and that it is probably time for a change of direction.

So, basically, a change of direction that Ewan likes is fine, but a change of direction that he doesn't like is akin to sucking the devil's penis.

Woah, this is cloak and dagger stuff!

I can't find the thread but I didn't say Snow Patrol 'sold out'. I don't use that phrase, because it's stupid. I did say Snow Patrol don't make music I like any more, and I did say I think they write terrible, overblown stadium pop songs now. Which in my opinion they do. I also vividly remember acknowledging that Final Straw is a terrific guitar pop album, and probably their best release. That albums is rammed with choruses and singalong melodies, and that's the point you would say they 'sold out', if you were a dick. I did not say that. My beef with them is the albums they have released since that have been sub-par. Really, truly, bad. I'm sure they couldn't give a flying minge-nut if I like them or not, because they have millions of fans and sell millions of records, which they didn't when they were putting out albums like 'Songs for Polar Bears'. Fair play to them. As I say, I was all ears when they changed to a more poppy sound. Final Straw is a terrific pop album. The more recent ones, however, are grey drudgery. I don't dislike the direction per se, I dislike the inherent lack of quality.

As an aside, if you 'can't vouch for how much truth there is' in what I said, why are you so up in arms about it?

As for Muse, I do think they need to change the record (see what I did there). That's a good few albums of intergalactic-space-explosion-starburst-alien-revolt-implosion stuff, and I find it a bit tiresome. I don't really see how this is linked to the debate. Who said Muse 'sold out'? It certainly wasn't me. It's a sad, cold world if I'm not allowed an opinion on the latest output from one of the biggest bands in the country.

This is a pretty weird rant Calum, particularly because I don't even see how these two examples are linked. Or how either of them are linked to the 'selling out' debate. And next time my opinions mortally wound you with their caustic poison, why don't you ask me at the time? It's a bit creepy that you've been sitting on this for months...

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone
You can argue all you like about whether or not Biffy have sold out. However, you seem to all be missing the point, which is:

Biffy have become embarrassingly Godawful in the last few years. They are an affront to the band that they once were

Like I said a bitty further up - I wasn't into Biffy in the early days, but having bought their earlier albums now I much prefer the two most recent albums.

Opinions, min.

Guest Gladstone
Woah, this is cloak and dagger stuff!

I can't find the thread but I didn't say Snow Patrol 'sold out'. I don't use that phrase, because it's stupid. I did say Snow Patrol don't make music I like any more, and I did say I think they write terrible, overblown stadium pop songs now. Which in my opinion they do. I also vividly remember acknowledging that Final Straw is a terrific guitar pop album, and probably their best release. That albums is rammed with choruses and singalong melodies, and that's the point you would say they 'sold out', if you were a dick. I did not say that. My beef with them is the albums they have released since that have been sub-par. Really, truly, bad. I'm sure they couldn't give a flying minge-nut if I like them or not, because they have millions of fans and sell millions of records, which they didn't when they were putting out albums like 'Songs for Polar Bears'. Fair play to them. As I say, I was all ears when they changed to a more poppy sound. Final Straw is a terrific pop album. The more recent ones, however, are grey drudgery. I don't dislike the direction per se, I dislike the inherent lack of quality.

As an aside, if you 'can't vouch for how much truth there is' in what I said, why are you so up in arms about it?

As for Muse, I do think they need to change the record (see what I did there). That's a good few albums of intergalactic-space-explosion-starburst-alien-revolt-implosion stuff, and I find it a bit tiresome. I don't really see how this is linked to the debate. Who said Muse 'sold out'? It certainly wasn't me. It's a sad, cold world if I'm not allowed an opinion on the latest output from one of the biggest bands in the country.

This is a pretty weird rant Calum, particularly because I don't even see how these two examples are linked. Or how either of them are linked to the 'selling out' debate. And next time my opinions mortally wound you with their caustic poison, why don't you ask me at the time? It's a bit creepy that you've been sitting on this for months...

Ha - sorry man, it wasn't really a "rant" nor have your words mortally wounded me...

No creepiness intended - it just stuck in my mind, that is all. Here - I've found the post about Snow Patrol:

Has anyone heard the new Snow Patrol material? Utterly bland, forgettable, piss-up-the-wall songs, brazenly designed to fill stadiums and keep festival crowds waving their hands. Why do bands so often feel the need to replace good music with an attempt grandoise, which usually descends into boring pish?

I used to love Snow Patrol. Their first two albums are really good, particularly When It's All Over We Still Have To Clear Up, which is one of my favourite albums of all time; understated, simple but still experimental, proper "indie" music.

And I haven't just started hated them since they became famous. Final Straw is a tremendous pop album. Certainly it was a fairly big departure from their previous stuff, but good for what it is. Sure it got overplayed and people's mums started buying it in Tesco, but that's what happens with fame. 'Eyes Open', however, was a shite album, full of cynically wide-eyed stadium rock. Repeating a line over and over and over until it becomes memorable does not a good song make.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, the upshot of all of this is that when I cite early Snow Patrol as a big influence, people laugh and sing Chasing Cars at me. Gads.

And - you're right, you don't mention "selling out", yet - on reading it back, I interpret that to be what you mean, and what some people would call "selling out".

As for the Muse point, someone mentioned Muse above and I thought it was implied that someone had accused them of selling out, but the reason I mentioned it was because I thought you'd accused Snow Patrol of "selling out" by changing direction, but then you're all for a change of direction by Muse.

Just citing examples - nae dramas really. For some reason, both of those things stuck in my head. I wasn't really sitting on them for months, biding my time to use them!!

:)

And to be fair, I've kind of mis-remembered what you said because the "change of direction" you first mention was Final Straw and you said it was a good "change of direction"!

So, for my above comment, read "someone else" instead of "Ewan" and insert a different example. The point still fucking stands people ;)

And - you're right, you don't mention "selling out", yet - on reading it back, I interpret that to be what you mean, and what some people would call "selling out"

Em... how? I clearly state that I continued to like them after they became famous, and I continued to like them after they 'changed direction' to a more poppy sound. All of my complaints are about the quality of their recent material, which picks up from the good work of Final Straw but achieves absolutely nothing. It's lazy, it's generic and it's shite. Of course I'm going to be unhappy if one of my favourite bands churn out low-quality music. If they were playing 'Eyes Open' to 16 people at Tunnels on Tuesday night I'd still think it was a terrible stab at stadium rock.

the reason I mentioned it was because I thought you'd accused Snow Patrol of "selling out" by changing direction, but then you're all for a change of direction by Muse

to be fair, I've kind of mis-remembered what you said because the "change of direction" you first mention was Final Straw and you said it was a good "change of direction"!

So... you were just talking out of your arse? I don't mind a bit of debate, but I do mind being misquoted!

If you were a journalist, I'd have your head on a plate and your paper sued ;)

Guest Gladstone
Em... how? I clearly state that I continued to like them after they became famous, and I continued to like them after they 'changed direction' to a more poppy sound. All of my complaints are about the quality of their recent material, which picks up from the good work of Final Straw but achieves absolutely nothing. It's lazy, it's generic and it's shite. Of course I'm going to be unhappy if one of my favourite bands churn out low-quality music. If they were playing 'Eyes Open' to 16 people at Tunnels on Tuesday night I'd still think it was a terrible stab at stadium rock.

So... you were just talking out of your arse? I don't mind a bit of debate, but I do mind being misquoted!

If you were a journalist, I'd have your head on a plate and your paper sued ;)

Fucking hell - I was far closer to the truth than most journalists...

You know my cousin Ryan fae New Deer right? Writes for the P&J. I once told him about being interviewed by a guy at the Buchanie who pulled out a dictaphone to record our answers, and Ryan was astounded because "everyone knows that journalists just make quotes up" and I think he was serious.

You weren't "misquoted" here, just "misinterpreted" ;)

Fucking hell - I was far closer to the truth than most journalists...

You know my cousin Ryan fae New Deer right? Writes for the P&J. I once told him about being interviewed by a guy at the Buchanie who pulled out a dictaphone to record our answers, and Ryan was astounded because "everyone knows that journalists just make quotes up" and I think he was serious.

You weren't "misquoted" here, just "misinterpreted" ;)

Haha, I was at the very least mis-paraphrased!

I recall buying Muse's first album out of interest and thought it seemed like a bad early Radiohead rip-off. I avoided them until I heard some of the stuff on 'Origin of Symmetry' and have bought all their stuff since. It may all be about aliens and conspiracy and so on and is slightly hatstand but it's good to have bands like that. They also have a way with a memorable tune. I still don't like the material from the first album much. Perhaps Muse don't play it as they too recognise it's shortcomings??

As for Biffy, went to see them at the Music Hall but mainly because Aereogramme were supporting and I hadn't seen them, it was their last gigs so thought it seemed wise. Biffy did nothing for me then and they remain off my radar. They just remind me of a Scottish Foo Fighters, inoffensive but also unremarkable. I can see why folk like them but it just does nowt for me.

Thinking about it, allowing X Factor use of material makes sense, it's not the band themselves that are on the show and the resulting money income would be handy.

Manics on Strictly? Totally unsurprised, been pish for years. It's a wonder they aren't taking part.

i saw nicky wire being interviewed and they spoke about strictly. they basically said if you've got shows or a record to promote there's not much you can go on to promote it anymore except for programmes like strictly or x factor. what are they meant to do?

Exactly. I don't really see the problem on appearing on something like Strictly... I mean, it's hardly akin to soundtracking one of Goebbels' films. It's/they are entertainment shows, and bands have always appeared on entertainment shows. Top of the Pops had a similar audience to Strictly... and The X Factor, for a start and even programmes like The Old Grey Whistle Test had questionable acts booked... Anyway, who is to say that those watching said programme don't have a good taste in music? It's just presumed elitism to suggest otherwise. I'd love it if a band I like played on The X Factor, for example - think about the millions of people who wouldn't hear them otherwise! If the resulting sales and exposure from that means that said band can afford to keep carrying on...

• Upvote 1

Guest idol_wild
i saw nicky wire being interviewed and they spoke about strictly. they basically said if you've got shows or a record to promote there's not much you can go on to promote it anymore except for programmes like strictly or x factor. what are they meant to do?

Make some hand-drawn flyers and hand them out at other gigs, and keep updating their myspace. :up:

Guest Gladstone
Exactly. I don't really see the problem on appearing on something like Strictly... I mean, it's hardly akin to soundtracking one of Goebbels' films. It's/they are entertainment shows, and bands have always appeared on entertainment shows. Top of the Pops had a similar audience to Strictly... and The X Factor, for a start and even programmes like The Old Grey Whistle Test had questionable acts booked... Anyway, who is to say that those watching said programme don't have a good taste in music? It's just presumed elitism to suggest otherwise. I'd love it if a band I like played on The X Factor, for example - think about the millions of people who wouldn't hear them otherwise! If the resulting sales and exposure from that means that said band can afford to keep carrying on...

Tremendous comment in my opinion.