aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Doesn't Exist... Discuss?

Ross

According to The NME this week & their Topman sponsored pullout.. Aberdeen doesn't exist.

Loads of people on other messageboards have been moaning that the recent Sugarcult tour wasn't playing Glasgow / Liverpool / Birmingham and numerous other places on the tour but was playing "Aberdeen..... who the fuck goes to gigs in Aberdeen!"

Are we all just wasting our time or should we all email the NME in discust.

editor@nme.com

If anyone emails : Go Postal - gopostal@nme.com and gets their letter published then they can have 2 free tickets to any gig they wish at Moshulu.

Aberdeen has 2 Unis and a College as well as a Topman.

Happy writing.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is the same pile of wank that's editor once said there were no decent bands in scotland, and he wouldn't feature any band from there. A year later Franz Ferdinand have come along and they can't get enough bands from glasgow to stick in their shit encrusted rag. Fuck em.

Guest onlynik

I'll get on to it tomorrow, once I get a copy of the NME and photocopy it. Not paying to read that shit. Any way maybe a certain venue could write in disgust saying that they have recently started taking bookings for larger bands maybe offer the Editor to come and visit see what its all about. May also mention that Aberdeen has one of the best local music scenes in the country.

i think its just another example of how woefully out of touch with things the NME are. I've seen the editor conor mcnicholas on TV and he looks like a wet behind the ears arsewipe just out of journalism school. Whilst no serious music fan takes the NME seriously these days it does, as Ross says have an influence on out of town promoters/bands etc. considoring how hard some folk in Aberdeen work to get out of town bands like sugarcult up to the North East, they should get their facts right before printing stuff like that. i havent actually seen it yet cos for me sins i still buy it every week (out of habit more than anything else) but it doesnt seem to reach Derry till thursdays. thing is even if they do print a letter of protest you'll just get some snidy sarcastic reply. the standard of journalism in the paper has steadily gone downhill mainly since the competition ceased to exist as they have a virtual monopoly on the market (kerrang i suppose could be classed as competition at a push). about a year ago i sent in a letter of disgust about a peice they did on coldplay, saying they were the most important band of the last 20 years, a peice which dismissed and openly criticised the likes of radiohead, blur, oasis and other influential bands. like or hate those bands they've all made many more albums than coldplay and have been around a lot longer. even though my letter didnt get printed, many others agreed with me as they did publish a selection of thoughts about the article.

but yeah fuck em, the NME is only interested in bands that sell papers.

I think it's great that the N.M.E ignore Aberdeen, this means that the music scene can thrive in splendid isolation and one day when people realise that Aberdeen is more exciting than Glasgow, when Aberdeen bands that are selling shelves of records and ploughing up and down the country gaining large underground fan-bases they can start a campaign to abolish the N.M.E and lobby parliament to pass a bill that makes shit music press illegal. John Peel will have been living in Aberdeen for the previous five years up until the 'N.M.E is the enemy' act has been passed in say 2050. Well, c'mon we can all dream!

I don't read the NME, but I sent this for you :

Fuck me, here we go again, a victim of Geography ? Or peoples fucking laziness ?

"who the fuck goes to gigs in Aberdeen"

Err, all the Aberdonians who can always fucking afford to go to "the one and only Scottish Date" (in Fucking Glasgow, 140 miles from here) because, A lazy fucking band can't be arsed travelling to "the Deen".

When I become famous (ho ho), I am going to play 100 Shows in Scotland, and one in England (hmmNewcastle) and see how the FEBs like it.

Phil "le peep" thompson

nah you should just play Derry and forget about England! And Letterkenny just of the border in the Republic (incidently le peep how's about another sneaky peaky - nudge nudge wink wink say no more)

hey i bought the NME today and cant find the offending peice, can someone point me in the right direction?