aberdeen-music

Aberdeen-Music Jukebox Jury

JD McPherson - Let the Good Times Roll

Well, I wasn't expecting to hear anything like this suggested, which is no bad thing. I didn't enjoy this album I am afraid to say. It all sounds very accomplished, polished and sparkly but it lacks any real edge to it. To paraphrase Kurt Cobain, I like a bit of mud in my music. The guy has a fantastic voice, but the whole thing left me cold and I wasn't feeling it at all. It needs more soul!

2/5

Amanti - Amanti

First local artist to appear on the Jukebox Jury and it is no secret that I am a fan of the artist formally known as tom. I think that this is a really good record, with Neutron Star being my favourite. I think that there are plenty of hooks all over this album and Tom has a great voice, deploying his falsetto with great effect. I look forward to seeing what else is produced under the Amanti name

4/5

100 Onces - 100 Onces

RIFFS. I saw these guys a wee while back, when they played Cellar 35. It was fucking great, culminating in a bizarre and awkward stage invasion. There is so much going on with this record, it is kind hard to pick one thing out. I think the stand out for me is that, whilst being very technical, they have kept the songs very melodic. This is right up my street, as I'll be hooped if I am listening to pointless guitar wankery. It is fun too, as if this was overtly earnest and emo it could possibly be the worst thing ever.

3.5/5

JD McPherson - Let The Good Times Roll

I thought this was part polished, bland, Sunday Times-championed coffee table music and part Little Richard tribute act. It got better by the end when he let loose a bit and I enjoyed it more the second time around but I doubt I'd listen to it again. Too clean, too safe. Not for me.

100 Onces - 100 Onces

This was ugly and spiky and it made me sad. I also wanted them to buy new strings and tune their guitars. I didn't think the riffs were strong enough to work as instrumentals. A couple of better tunes near the end but mostly I was just counting down the minutes until it was over and I could put on You Slut! instead.

Amanti - Amanti

I liked what he was trying to do here, and I generally like this genre. The songs were interesting, my main criticism of it when I was listening to it is that although I liked what he was trying to do it sounded like it was done awkwardly and the production let it down, I didn't realise then that it was a local artist and therefore I don't think its fair to criticise the production, but I would say that sometimes the effects were overused and become a bit annoying. Still my favourite of the three this week though.

I wasn't mad about any of this week's offerings but I rate them in this order:

1 - Amanti 

2 - JD McPherson

3 - 100 Onces

I thought we were all still in?

xx

New criteria, so I wanted to check if the people who originally signed up still wanted to do it. Most people haven't really submitted reviews, so there isn't any point harassing folk for albums if they aren't actually interested or don't have time.

• Upvote 1