• Mr Owl PhD
  • Scottyboy
  • Murr
  • Kirsten
  • Soda Jerk
  • Bathroom Laughter
  • Dave
  • Paranoid Android

I will send out album requests, once my random person selector has selected persons. The topic for this batch is:

"An album you love that you don't think other users will have heard"

• Upvote 1

King Khan - I really enjoyed this, garage rock isn't usually my thing but they seemed to be having a great time and that helped me get into it. I'd love to see them live.

Paul Cary - Workmanlike. More Steve Earle or John Cougar Mellencamp than Dylan for me, but done well enough. Nothing stands out really, good or bad. This is a solid average record that I'll never listen to again.

PC Worship - There's something about being wilfully bad or tuneless that I usually like if there's a great song waiting to be discovered underneath, these songs aren't good enough for that. Again it's ok rather than great - I'd listen to their next record but this one is too weak to be so badly/lazily recorded.

King Khan and the Shrines - Idle No More

This is a really forgettable album. I listened to on Tuesday and by the end it had just sort of become background noise, like someone next door hoovering, it's there and you're aware of it but that's it. When I put it on again today I couldn't remember any of the songs, what it sounded like, even what genre it was. It's very 1960s garage rock, like Dave said, made me think of those Nuggets albums. It did very little for me. I like my music with a bit of edge and a bit of attitude, and this had neither. 

Paul Cary - Ghost Of A Man

This was better. A bit of a blend of rockabilly and good down & dirty bluesy country, straight out of the swamp. A few proper, stompy tracks, with ugly fuzzy effects and nice blues guitar. Raw and wonderful. 

PC Worship - Social Rust

I really liked this, mostly because it took me back to the music I was listening to 20 years ago, lots of 90s grunge and post-grunge, and sloppy noise rock, stuff like Dinosaur Jr and The Melvins, Mudhoney and 7 Year Bitch. it's hard to believe its from 2014 and not 1996. Lots of sludgy riffs. I feel like a 90s MTV slacker again. Beavis & Butthead would love it. Let's listen to Alice in Chains and have really straight long hair and watch The Real World. A few of the songs don't go anywhere, and the two really long ones at the end are unnecessary.

This week I rate them:

1 - PC Worship

2 - Paul Cary

3 - King Khan and the Shrines - Idle No More

It was close between the top two though. They're both excellent albums.

Track of the week - "Baby In The Backroom" by PC Worship.

Edited by Lemon Raspberry

King Khan and the Shrines

I neither liked nor disliked this one. It was largely pleasant, but nothing about it stood out. After two listens, I can't even remember a single melody or hook from it. I liked the sound of the vocals, the twangy 60's sounding guitars, and the layers of brass which overlap on the choruses, but as a whole, it's all a little bland to me. It's not a record I can see myself returning to. OK. 2 outta 5.

Paul Cary

I'd given his recent LP, Coyote, a spin a few months ago and thought it was decent. Hadn't heard this, but I quite like it too. It sounds pretty raw and stripped back, and as if it was recorded in a phonebox, through the handset, where the connecting call is recording it on to an old tape recorder. It's a grimy, charming listen. His voice sounds desperate, and the guitars sound buzzy and twangy. Not half bad. 3 outta 5.

PC Worship

From Ryan's review, it sounded like something I would very much like. I don't think I do. I don't think it's terrible, but it feels like it goes nowhere. The low notes rumble, and the vocalist barely breaks a whisper. The last two songs on the album are the standouts. Public Shrine just being a noisy drone of squelched feedback, a nasal sounding saxophone and one repetitious booming drum. It was the most interesting that the record has been so far. First Wave Back immediately follows, and has a bit more structure to it, but is equally as down-trodden. A bluesy saxophone swells and the loose doomy chords ring. Again, I find it has more going for it than the rest of the record. Bit of a chore to get through, but not as awful as I was expecting from the reviews on the previous page. 2 outta 5.

Edited by Soda van Jerk

King Khan

I liked this record. It felt like an indie pop James Brown or Booker T and the MGs in places. Lot of fun, a little different, thematically consistent, and well put together. My favourite of the three.

Paul Cary

I almost liked a couple of the first songs but this record on the whole was just a little bit lackluster for me. I just couldn't get into it. That said, it's a good record. The one I disliked the least of the two I disliked.

PC Worship

This just didn't click with me. It felt like the soundtrack to an indie movie that I've never seen. Just a bit naff, I thought. Trying to be ambient and soundscapey but just not quite having enough depth. Or something. Bottom of the list.

Xx

King Khan and the Shrines - Idle no More

This is a hugely derivative album, but you get the feeling of a massive enthusiasm for psych and garage rock. I very much enjoyed this album, however there didn't seem to be a standout track for me, so marks off guys.

3.5/5

PC Worship - Social Rust

Cruddy guitar sounds. Cruddy drum sounds. Cruddy vocals. Cruddy. This quite a claustrophobic and oppressive sounding album, which can make a difficult listen to some listeners. I kind of reminded me of The Jesus Lizard, but with a washed out, beaten down feel to it. I got a feel of Thurston Moore's Psychic Hearts album too.

3/5

Paul Cary - Ghost of a Man

Went into this not knowing anything about Paul Cary, which to some people would be a bit scary (LOL). Non contrived bluesy, fuzzed out, everyone is saying the same thing about this one. I liked it the bested.

4/5

King Khan and the Shrines - Idle no More

Happy music, plenty of horns in a 60s homage is always appreciated by me.  Could imagine having a dance around the place to this.  Probably my favourite of the three albums this time, it stays the right side of cheesy and as has been already said by someone, it's well put together and competently done.  The instrumental parts of "So Wild" in particular pleased me, I just enjoyed the melody of it.

Paul Cary - Ghost of a Man

I enjoyed the songs, but I do not care for a whole album which has been made to sound like someone's playing it down the telephone to you from a gigantic marble hall.  Sure, do a song like that for effect, but it really starts to get wearing over a whole album.  That kinda spoiled it for me.  I don't mind things that sound a bit scuzzy or lo-fi but this bugged me.

PC Worship - Social Rust

Wasn't expecting to make much of this reading what others had to say, so I was quite surprised to find that I got along with it OK.  I don't know if "enjoyed" is the right word - "respected" seems more appropriate.  It grinds away, doing its thing doggedly, not caring which parts I'm agreeing with and which parts are having me screw up my face.  I thought I heard some Diamond Dogs era Bowie in there, and some crazy sax a la King Crimson, which made me smile.  Overall, not necessarily something I'd go out of my way to seek out, but not half as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I don't do scores, but I guess I could do the order of preference thing:

King Khan and the Shrines

PC Worship

Paul Cary

But none of them were awful.  Good selections this week.