aberdeen-music

Aberdeen-Music Jukebox Jury

King Khan and the Shrines - Idle no More

This was a bit less raw sounding than I expected, although as others have commented, it's extremely retro and wears its influences on its sleeve.  Some of the songs were quite good and I don't necessarily mind the style of music.  I got rather weary of it fairly quickly though.  It actually sounded pretty middle of the road to me after a while - like something I'd expect to hear on Radio 2.  The songs were okay without being outstanding but the main problem is that it just seemed retro for the sake of it.  I don't mind people drawing on old music but I tend to prefer it if people do something new with it.  I didn't really get that sense here.

5/10

Paul Cary - Ghost of a Man

I'd hesitate to say this was a bad record but it was the one I liked the least.  This sort of sub-Dylanesque type stuff tends to annoy me at the best of times.  Maybe if the lyrics or songs are particularly good I can tolerate it but this all seemed ordinary with rather daft sounding lyrics at times.  Sort of like Jake Bugg but not even as good as that.  I was quite glad when this album was over.

3/10

PC Worship - Social Rust

I don't think I'd go so far as to say that I really liked this but it was easily my favourite of the three and the one that I'd most readily come back to.  It also sounds quite retro but at least reminds of music (90s American indie rock) that I'd like to hear more of rather than stuff I'd be happy to hear less of.  Some parts seem fairly distinctive and I liked the general mood it conveys.  The song 'Baby in the Backroom' was easily my favourite song on any of these three albums.  They could have a bit more variety on it and it's definitely music for a certain mood.  I might listen to this some more.

7/10

• Upvote 1

King Khan and the Shrines - Idle No More

It's definitely true that the first half of this record carries the second, but in my opinion, that's because tracks 1-6 are all gold and only a couple from 7-12 are. If I've got the maths right on this, that means it averages out as: AWESOME ALBUM, GREAT JOB* 

The brass section is majestic and the swagger it provides is immense. I admire that King Khan wears his influences on his sleeves and it's nice to be able to pick out tiny bits of Sun Ra in one part of a song then the Stooges in another. It's always enjoyable when on a studio recording, you can still get a sense of what a band would be like live. These guys are essentially a ten-man party machine and I think they've done well to put that across on record. For me, their live shows are up there with Les Savy Fav and Fucked Up's. Incidentally, if Damian Abraham, Tim Harrington and King Khan ever formed an overweight, half-naked super-group, it'd probably be the most powerful thing to ever have happened.

Paul Cary - Ghost of a Man

This is a neat little album, but it took me a couple of listens for the songs to make an impression and stop sounding samey  to me. A grower anyway. I wasn't too convinced by the fuzzy vocals initially, but I actually ended up thinking that they were the best part. It kind of reminded me of a completely stripped-down Coachwhips, but now that I think of it, that's probably just the scuzzy vocals. I'm a bit bored of unnecessarily lo-fi recordings, but this wasn't a recording by a band trying to be Nirvana who write songs about pizza and have intentionally shit drawings on their t-shirts, so I had a lot more patience for it. I doubt I'll get any of the songs stuck in my head anytime soon, but I did download this and I can imagine that if it comes up the next time my iPod is on shuffle, it'll probably be a nice addition to the soundtrack of my walk to work.   

PC Worship - Social Rust

I didn't find this album as abrasive as some others did, but I also don't really get it on the whole. I don't think it has as much substance to it as the band presumably hoped it would when they piled into the recording studio. I'm sort of torn between thinking that they're trying to do too much at once and knowing that I would pay it no attention if it was stripped down and just a 90s jizzfest. It's the kind of record that would be good on in the background if you had a couple of friends around because it's not obtrusive at all, but I also don't think that anyone would enthusiastically ask you what it was you were listening to so they could run out and buy it. Baby In The Backroom is definitely the best song on here. I'd maybe prefer it if more of the tracks were like that, but maybe I just wanted to listen to a Ty Segall album.  

*I think that this might be a give-away that I picked this record. I thought this was a tough theme because I presumed that any album I really loved, it wouldn't be unknown on a forum made up of people with a nerd-knowledge of music, so just ended up picking an album I think is fun rather than a FAVOURITE EVER. If I could make my own King Khan compilation, it'd include the first half of this record and the tracks 'Land Of The Freak', 'Took My Lady Out To Dinner' and 'I Wanna Be A Girl' from his previous album. I think people who weren't sold on this record would prefer those older songs. Also go see them live for the most fun ever. TOP TIP! Okay bye xx

(Please forgive the rubbish review. I've just bought a new laptop and am not used to a stupidly sensitive trackpad having the pointless tap to click function, so accidentally tapped away from this page and lost my original words. This is not the greatest post in the world, no; this is just a tribute.)

• Upvote 1

Skating Polly - Fuzz Steliacom

Fuzzy, pop rock goodness. I liked this, it was fun and energetic and riffy and catchy. It was that kind of good where I have nothing to say about. It was good.

Nguyen Le - Saiyuki

... I... What? Weird noises and shit. I'm glad I listened to it, it was interesting, but I'll never touch it again.

Don Cavalli - Temperamental

I loved this. Like if Seasick Steve dug folk more than the blues. A little weird and a little interesting and a lot cool as fuck. I'm so tired. I don't write good when tired.

Xx

• Upvote 1

Skating Polly - Fuzz Steilacoom. I really love this album. There's huge swathes of grunge and riot grrrl in it, I can hear Nirvana, Hole, Bikini Kill and others. It sounds like what Kurt Cobain would have been doing as a teenager if he was a girl. They're not the best musicians ever and the songs are simple as anything, but does it matter? Not a fuck. I'll give anything a go if it's played from the heart and this definitely is. The lead singer of this band was 13 when it was recorded and she rocks harder than you ever will, you pussy.

Le Nguyen - Saiyuki. This had some interesting guitar work on it and some really sweet tunes but by the end of track 1 I'd decided it was going to be background music while I did something else, and then by about track 5 I was bored of it as background music as well. It would be great as background music in a film or TV show but for music to actually listen to, no. This is the nicest album that I'll never listen to again.

Don Cavalli - Temperamental. I don't know why but I was expecting this to be Hip Hop. I really hate the phrase "not my cup of tea", its such a cop out and I swore I would not use it in this thread but I feel like I don't have much choice in this case. Like, this album was good and it had a fun vibe but I just didn't care about it, didn't connect with it at all. Too nice, too clean, not interesting. Actually this might be the nicest album that I'll never listen to again.

I put this weeks selections in this order:
1 - Skating Polly
2 - Don Cavalli
3 - Le Nguyen

Track of the week - Skating Polly - "Van Gogh"
Edited by Lemon Raspberry
  • Upvote 1