aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

Scrape a good midfield of our of Mata, Herrera, Di Maria, Januzai, Carrick, Fletch and Fellani......Your talking about 2 of the worlds top attacking mids. A warrior in Herrera and Blind and Fletch who has been mr consistent for years. Fellani can also play football, when used properly.

Its hardly scraping the barrel of midfielders out there.

If you started with Blind holding, Herrera infront, with Mata and Di Maria in front, you would struggle to name a better midfield in England. Liverpool are playing with Hollywood pass and Henderson. Jordan Henderson. If they can do ok, there is hope for anyone.  

To be fair, Henderson has come on leaps and bounds. He's had an Aaron Ramsey-esque resurgence in form. Really good player. Looks weird when he runs though. 

Man U could have done with another defender IMO, I'd say most teams looking at their team sheet this season and seeing Jones, Evans and Blackett at the back aren't exactly shitting themselves. Losing Ferdinand, Evra and Vidic all at once with all their experience was always going to a tough one for a new manager to sort out.

I am also a bit of a Jordan Henderson fan. His football intelligence has come on leaps and bounds under Brendan Rodgers, specifically knowing when to expend energy; his ability to press as part of a unit; his selection of pass; and, most noticeably, his selection and timing of runs. A very effective midfielder in my opinion.

Manchester United still lack balance in their midfield - Di Maria as a central box-to-boxer is all well and good, but the guy can't tackle and lacks defensive discipline. Darren Fletcher has failed to recapture any sort of form, and whilst Herrera keeps things nice and simple, he's very slightly built for a central midfielder - I don't see him bossing many games in the EPL. Juan Mata is a good player, but horrendously one-footed and, again, lacks a physical presence. He's clever, bright, and creative - but he has clear weaknesses which aren't really covered by anyone else in within the pool of midfielders at the club.

The only physical presence Manchester United have in midfield is Fellaini, and he is not suited to Van Gaal's persistent philosophy. Daley Blind will be deployed in defence to begin with, so we'll see what happens with him as time goes on. He looked very good in the World Cup, though.

There's something about that Manchester United midfield that makes me think they're not quite up to the top four this season. There's nobody in there that can dominate, and that has been a key problem since Keane left. They should have thrown money at Juventus for Arturo Vidal within the time frame Juventus stipulated - problem solved. There's little midfield protection in front of the back line, and of all the top 6/7 teams in England, Manchester United's defence is in the most need of protection.

If LvG plays as 4-3-3 Mata has to play as one of the top 3 not the middle. Same with Januzaj. I don't think he would work there at all. If I was Mata I'd be worried about my place in the team now. 

I don't think he'd work in a front 3. He'd have to be on the left or the right, and he's not done well there. If it's 4-3-3, he'd need to be the most advanced of the 3 in midfield, close to the centre forward, like he was at Chelsea, which was more of a 4-2-3-1, but the differences between the two formations are negligible when on the pitch anyway.

Januzaj will either play in the #10 position when Mata isn't, or out wide. He was a central player prior to being in the first team, but played out wide just to get minutes. It will be interesting to see where he ends up long term.

Edited by Soda van Jerk

I think you will find Blind playing mostly as the holding midfielder. Shaw will be nailed onto start most games at left back, or Rojo will play there if Shaw is not fit. 

I sort of acknowledged that - but until Shaw is fit, I think Blind will be played on the left of defence, with Rojo central.

And by 'left of defence' I mean left wing-back.

Edited by Eupraxia

Blackett's emergence is surprising. Looked garbage for the reserves. I certainly don't rate him as a full back when he's played there for the U21s. He's taken to the back 3 better than Evans and Smalling though. It will be interesting to see if he can play in a back four as well, as I can't imagine the back 3 is a permanent fixture.

He should still be bottom of the pecking order. Or maybe ahead of Evans.

Jones > Rojo > Smalling > Blackett > Playing with 10 men > Forfeit > Evans.

• Upvote 3

United have looked better with Welbeck playing with either Rooney / RVP than when the two big names played together. I think lots of United fans are upset to see a guy who came through the youth system and is a supporter of the team go to a rival like arsenal. I think he could have still done something for the team. Falcao is a replacement for RVP who should just be allowed to leave if Falcao's deal becomes permanent. 

I see it more as the situation, rather than the quality of the player. The quality of whom severely divides opinion. I personally think Welbeck is quality, but plenty don't. United forums are currently in even parts joy and despair today.

But selling a valued academy player to a rival team is a weird situation. Not just an academy player, but a Mancunian, and a United supporter from a family of United supporters. Usually an academy player is sold because they are nowhere near the level required, and will usually go to a  lower-midtable/championship side. Even though Welbeck's quality seems very debatable, it's not as if he was terrible. He's a very capable player.

Regardless. Welbeck gets to play Champions League football, and Van Persie, Rooney, Mata, Di Maria and Falcao don't. Wild.

But Blackett has played all the games so far. Lingard probably would have played if he didnt get croaked in the first game. Janzuai kinda counts. Wilson will be around the first team squad id imagine. 

Welbeck wasnt really a golden generation player, he was more a Tom Cleverly kinda youth player. Fine if you dont really need to play him, pretty shit otherwise.