aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

I'd go to watch any Scotland match, friendly or otherwise, as long as I didn't have to make any effort. I.e. it was in a stadium near me. It's always interesting to see how people play with each other, what formations work/don't work, seeing who can boost their stats or get that extra cap. Even if there's nothing to play for, there are loads of things to take away from a football match. Same reason I'll watch a pre-season friendly. I draw the line at testimonials and charity matches, unless i'm sure a member of one direction will get scythed by boris johnson or something.

Football isn't even the most popular sport in Ireland though is it? As for England, playing at wembley again and again is pointless. As has been voiced plenty on twitter etc, they need to spread it around the country. I bet if they played in Hull or something they'd get a big turnout. Londoners are spoilt and apathetic, and not just when it comes to the national football team. The same could probably be said about a lot of events/concerts/whatever that would sell out elsewhere. Would you rather go to a friendly with Norway or wait a few months and spend the same money to go to a cup final or a qualifier at the same stadium?

Uefa are considering getting rid of the away goals rule. If it happens it will probably take about 15 years from this point of initial discussion because Uefa are idiots but it's made me very happy that it's on the table. Completely outdated and unfair rule that too often spoils matches. 

Besides the nonsense part that away goals still count if the second leg goes into extra time, I've never seen a problem with it.

The reason it was put in place no is no longer valid. At the time travelling away was genuinely taxing on the players and an unknown quantity, which is why it was common to see see one team winning by four or five at home and then losing by a big margin away from home, so obviously teams set out to concede as few as possible away and not care about scoring themselves. So at that time it made sense but it's ridiculous that we've got to a stage where teams playing at home only care about not conceding an away goal. 

Playing away in Europe now is not really much more difficult than going away from home in your domestic league. Of course home advantage exists but that's why there is a two-legged match in the first place. It just seems very unfair to me that a team can lose 1-0 away then win 2-1 at home and be eliminated. 

And for an example of how it can spoil matches themselves, say team A loses 2 away and then in the second leg is 2 up after an hour. At that point the tie is perfectly poised and set up for a great final half an hour but then team B score leaving team A needing two and the team is completely deflated. If there was no away goals rule the match would still feel like it could go either way rather than all but over.

I'd argue that losing on away goals feels much worse than going out on pens and winning that way feels very jammy. 

• Upvote 1

And for an example of how it can spoil matches themselves, say team A loses 2 away and then in the second leg is 2 up after an hour. At that point the tie is perfectly poised and set up for a great final half an hour but then team B score leaving team A needing two and the team is completely deflated. If there was no away goals rule the match would still feel like it could go either way rather than all but over.

I agree with this scenario ruining some games.

Or if the first leg finished 1-1, and in the 2nd leg the away team is losing 2-1, but they know that an equalizer will win them the game. An equalizer should never win the game.

It's a debate that can go on forever about whether or not it is fair. I don't care about fair. I just think it's shite.

Personally speaking the only good thing to ever come from pens was the aforementioned John Terry incident, i hate them 99.9% of the time. 

On another note Vidal could be out for 6 months with another knee injury, maybe United did the right thing avoiding him. Why buy him right now with that hanging over him, when you can let Juve pay to fix it, then buy him for a reduced price next year when he is hopefully back fit.