aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

Welbeck is shite.

You are mistaken.

The worst thing about not working and having a load of free time is how often I find myself putting sky sports news on. I've had to be extra strong with myself today as it's just unbearable. "Transfer Deadline Day" can just fuck off.

Just realised I already complained about it a few posts up. I'm almost as repetitive as that channel!

It is pretty horrible, but here is an SSN on-site reporter getting a Deadline Day Dildo in the ear.

https://vine.co/v/OBUpV5MYZbA

That's great. The dildo I mean, not the racism. 

It's what Sky deserve when they make such a big deal of having so money reporters needlessly reporting live and basically encouraging fans to try and get on screen. 

The shite like creating deadline day traditions ala the yellow ties, acting like Jim White is a huge star, treating the whole day like it's more important than the world cup final, all of it can just fuck off and never come back please.

Welbeck could be a good signing for Arsenal, I think he'll fit into Wenger's system and if he gets a good consistent run in the team (which with Sanogo as his competition until the new year he should do) he could score a lot of goals. Arsenal badly needed a centre forward, Wenger could probably put out a team of wingers and attacking midfielders. He probably shouldn't though. They'd lose. Could still do with a CB as well. Chambers has been solid as fuck there so far but if Debuchy gets injured / suspended and Chambers has to play right back that only leaves Monreal who can cover CB and that's not a great option.

I don't see Arsenal doing any better than 4th this season on the evidence so far. They're really struggling to break teams down. Drawing away at Everton isn't a bad result but away at Leicester is, and it took a last minute winner to see off Palace. Besiktas was uncomfortable at times as well.

Kinda agree.

I'm only really worried defensively though.  Really needed a DM and a utility defender to cover CB and maybe a full back spot. 

Welbeck, Campbell, Wallcott and Sanogo will do until Giroud is back.

Looking forward to seeing how Welbeck does actually getting played up front.  I'd like to have seen Campbell get the chances that Sanogo has been getting recently though.  He looks a far more ready player than Sanogo.

Arsenal should have gone back in for Higuain. With Napoli not making the Champions League it could have been a possible move. Making do with those players until the new year and then relying on Giroud again isn't good enough at all for a team supposedly trying to win the league and champions league. 

City letting Negredo go is a bit wierd. He and Aguero made an incredible pair last season when both were fit.

WIth LvG saying for weeks how unbalanced his squad is I find it odd that the window has closed and he hasn't really changed that.

I find myself jealous of Hull City's acquisitions during this transfer window, which is an odd feeling to say the least. I think that Abel Hernandez is very over-rated and flatters to deceive, but Ben Arfa, Ramirez and Diame should be excellent signings if given game time. Snodgrass is a known quantity at this level, Robertson is promising... good window for Steve Bruce.

We have weakened significantly and I expect us to struggle as a result. We've lost our best player (Ben Arfa) and long-term Coloccini-replacement (Yanga-Mbiwa), and have somehow managed to sign a boatload of players without addressing the squad's biggest weaknesses (CB, ST). So we're left with three senior CBs and no centre forwards of any real quality, plus diddies like Steven Taylor, Gabriel Obertan and Paul Dummett are still around.

Long season ahead.

Welbeck could be a good signing for Arsenal, I think he'll fit into Wenger's system and if he gets a good consistent run in the team (which with Sanogo as his competition until the new year he should do) he could score a lot of goals. Arsenal badly needed a centre forward, Wenger could probably put out a team of wingers and attacking midfielders. He probably shouldn't though. They'd lose. Could still do with a CB as well. Chambers has been solid as fuck there so far but if Debuchy gets injured / suspended and Chambers has to play right back that only leaves Monreal who can cover CB and that's not a great option.

I don't see Arsenal doing any better than 4th this season on the evidence so far. They're really struggling to break teams down. Drawing away at Everton isn't a bad result but away at Leicester is, and it took a last minute winner to see off Palace. Besiktas was uncomfortable at times as well.

I think Arsenal can push for the top. I think Chelsea will win it, but I think Arsenal will push for 2nd/3rd. Sanchez is a great signing, and I think Welbeck will improve them as well. I think they are better equipped to push for 2nd/3rd than Liverpool.

Though with United's forward line, they should be blowing teams away, so long as Van Gaal can shore up the defence, and instill a bit of discipline. If he can do that, then I think it will be United competing with Arsenal for 2nd/3rd/4th, rather than Liverpool.

I reckon United's least glamorous signing of the summer will turn out to be one of the most important. Daley Blind will likely play the Owen Hargreaves role behind the attacking players, and that's a role that's needed filling since Hargo himself had to bow out. Personally, I think the butter-soft midfield was much more of a problem than the back four. If you expose the back four like United have done for years, then it doesn't matter who is defending. You're going to get torn apart.

WIth LvG saying for weeks how unbalanced his squad is I find it odd that the window has closed and he hasn't really changed that.

IIRC, he said that a couple of times some weeks ago, and since then he has bought a centre back and a defensive midfielder. Still a little unbalanced, but not to the level the squad was at the start of the window. He seemed to be pushing for Benatia and Vidal, but neither would come. Rojo and Blind weren't first choice, but they certainly occupy positions which United needed to fill, and are still good players. I'm looking forward to seeing Rojo. He's a nutter.

A midfield 3 of Blind, Herrera and either Di Maria or Mata looks much better than United's midfield last season. Immediate improvement.

He said he had too many number 10's. So Kagawa was always going, i would have thought Fellani would have gone if he was fit. RVP is finished and i dont think that was a planned thing, but LVG has probably seen how immobile he looks now a days and thought he had to act. RVP wont score 20 league goals this season i dont think, id actually be amazed if he starts 20 league games. Blind will shore up a dodgy weak midfield. Rojo can play the three at the back which means they can put Evans on a "learn how to play football" course. I think they will come together quite well over the next few months. 

I don't actually know if Rojo can or has played in a back 3 before. He has played in the middle of a back 4 at Sporting for the past 2 years. I hope that continues. 4-3-3.

Jones and Rojo in the middle. Bulls on Parade. Rafael on the right for some added loco. Total carnage. Shaw will need to toughen up and learn how to hack as well. Just kick the fuck out of everyone.

It's still the case that you struggle to name a a defensive line up good enough at this level and in that area and the midfield they have a shocking lack of strength in depth and injuries could cripple them. This is compared with the attack which is madly stacked.

I dont think they lack depth in midfield at all. 

Defensively they can play Blind, Fletch, Herrera and Carrick can still do a job. 

More attacking they have Mata, Di Maria, Fellani, Januzai (who lvg wants to become a central mid) along with Anderson and Cleverly when desperate.

I think midfield is where they are sorted, its at the back they will struggle until Shaw and Rafeal get fit again. 

• Upvote 1

It's just about possible to scrape together a good midfield three out of that lot. Half of those players wouldn't play in a midfield 3 or are just plain not good enough.

Scrape a good midfield of our of Mata, Herrera, Di Maria, Januzai, Carrick, Fletch and Fellani......Your talking about 2 of the worlds top attacking mids. A warrior in Herrera and Blind and Fletch who has been mr consistent for years. Fellani can also play football, when used properly.

Its hardly scraping the barrel of midfielders out there.

If you started with Blind holding, Herrera infront, with Mata and Di Maria in front, you would struggle to name a better midfield in England. Liverpool are playing with Hollywood pass and Henderson. Jordan Henderson. If they can do ok, there is hope for anyone.