aberdeen-music

Last Gig You Went To?

ca_gere

Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel last night in Brooklyn. Amazing. Well 'ish'. The guy's a legend and I love his voice and style of playing, hearing a bunch of Neutral Milk Hotel songs was great but I kept making up for the lack of other instruments in my head.

I couldn't believe how many people were there. He packed out a place about twice the size of his majesty's theatre. I suppose I didn't realise how much of a cult figure he is. An unbelievable amount of douchebags in attendance though. Proper smug cardigan twats shouting piss poor over-the-top praise. 'You're the reason we make music!' shouted one keen bean behind me. One girl had a wedding dress on and was clearly so into it she thought she was married to him. Still, nice to be at a gig where everyone is loving it eventhough their whooping and loud sing alongs bugged me the whole way through. Is it just me who doesn't get carried away like that? I mean, there's nothing I like more than going to see a band/artist I really admire but I never get a boner over it, I just enjoy it.

Springsteen live at Hampden with a hundred million people singing along to The Rising gave me an erection that has never subsided. Singalongs are ace, people being right in that moment and just going for it. Even that Adele live at the Royal Albert Hall gig gave me goosebumps and I'm not a huge fan of hers. Just seeing all of those people who are touched by those songs singing like fucking maniacs. If you like the songs, by the CD and sit in your house with a 4 pack of dairylea dunkables and rub yourself down.

I have a dvd of a Stayover gig i have harped on about before, we play "Bring on the Sluts" a Poo song a lot of people knew the words too, even to this day it gives me shivers hearing the Moorings sing the song back to us. I also remember being in a sold out Tunnels watching the Xcerts and have the entire place pretty much sing along to an old one "Stay the Same" two of my all time fav moments of any local gigs i went too or played in.

Sing alongs are great at times when they really work. What really is the worst is when an act is playing a slower/ quieter tracks and the audience calms down and listens attentively except the one plank next to you who thinks he can sing along perfectly but actually sounds like a car skidding around a corner.

The point you make about the collective 'being touched' is very true. Sing alongs are allowed. I don't think i've been to a gig where i've felt a goosebump sing along moment though so I can't really say how it feels.

I got this at Ben Folds last year in Glasgow. During "Army", the band stopped suddenly and the WHOLE crowd started singing the brass band parts off the album recording. Two parts. I think he got the crowd to do it on a Ben Folds live album and everyone knew it, there was no prompting from the band, the crowd just launched into it. Proper goosebumps. I had a few mates there who didn't really know Ben Folds and they were looking around in amazement.

• 2 weeks later...

Bonnie Prince Billy, Old Fruitmarket, Glasgow: Really nice venue - hadn't been there before. Billy just had a small band with him - Angel Olsen on vocals, another guitarist and a guy on keyboards. A pretty great evening, with lots of recent stuff and a few interesting versions of old favourites e.g. New Partner, I See a Darkness. Some good banter and moves from Will too.

Wild Flag, Oran Mor, Glasgow: A big night for me because I saw Mary Timony for the first time. She is one of my favourite people in music. The whole set was fantastic and the band seemed to be enjoying themselves a lot. Bit of a shame they weren't hanging around afterwards because I could have gone up to Mary and talked to her in a slightly unsettling stalkerish way. Mary rules my world.

Bonnie Prince Billy, Old Fruitmarket, Glasgow: Really nice venue - hadn't been there before. Billy just had a small band with him - Angel Olsen on vocals, another guitarist and a guy on keyboards. A pretty great evening, with lots of recent stuff and a few interesting versions of old favourites e.g. New Partner, I See a Darkness. Some good banter and moves from Will too.

very very jealous. wish i'd gone down to that one.

I was at Bonnie Prince Billy too (up in the balcony with the poshoes). The next night was Bridget St John/Lol Coxhill/Bill Wells'National Jazz Trio of Scotland. Both gigs were good eens. The only disappointment for me was Lol not appearing due to illness (although I have seen him before, at the Art Gallery, c.1976)

I was at Bonnie Prince Billy too (up in the balcony with the poshoes). The next night was Bridget St John/Lol Coxhill/Bill Wells'National Jazz Trio of Scotland. Both gigs were good eens. The only disappointment for me was Lol not appearing due to illness (although I have seen him before, at the Art Gallery, c.1976)

I was also up in the balcony! I'd have liked to have seen Bridget St John, but Wild Flag won out.

I went to see Nada Surf at King Tuts on Tuesday night. It was incredibly good. They played a lot off their new album which I'd struggled to get into on the three listens I'd given it in advance. Since Tuesday I've had it on constantly which was the same with their last tour and album. A strange phenomenon.

Me and the missus got talking to the singer in the bar afterwards and we were actually pretty cool (comparative to my previous "meet your heroes" experiences), until she asked him for a "bozie" and he said "what's a boozie?" and was then embraced and looked a little uncomfortable.

• Upvote 1

Does watching (and participating in) a "bassyokey" last weekend count as a gig? It's karaoke, but for bass players instead of singers. There's a band, then a rotation of bass players play songs with the band. It was a good laugh, if a little nerve-wracking, considering the audience was made up almost exclusively of bass players, many of whom have been playing for way longer than me. I played "Bad Things" (you know, the True Blood theme?) and I was going to give it a bit of "School's Out" but we ran out of time. Terrifying, but awesome at the same time. So much to learn.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
Does watching (and participating in) a "bassyokey" last weekend count as a gig? It's karaoke, but for bass players instead of singers. There's a band, then a rotation of bass players play songs with the band. It was a good laugh, if a little nerve-wracking, considering the audience was made up almost exclusively of bass players, many of whom have been playing for way longer than me. I played "Bad Things" (you know, the True Blood theme?) and I was going to give it a bit of "School's Out" but we ran out of time. Terrifying, but awesome at the same time. So much to learn.

Where the fuck does this happen!? I want in!

xx

This weekend I went to a couple of gigs

Mayer Hawthorne at Oran Mor, Glasgow

Funky tunes and a kick ass band. Absolutely tore it up. Disappointed that he started so early tho, because of a stupid curfew, so we missed quite a bit of the set because we were watching some hardcore adult content online at Ts flat. Cool venue tho, except the stuipd curfew.

The Presidents of the USA at O2 ABC, Glasgow

Fourth time I've seen The Presidents live and they never disappoint. Great songs, great banter between them and an unbeatable atmosphere. They played the whole of their first album start to finish which was superb, with a few extra tunes thrown in on top. Didnt play Japan despite my continued harrassment, but I'll let them off! ABC is a first rate venue too. Not seen a bad gig there and the sounds has always been top notch.