aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

Every team who has the league in the last decade has had a big squad with strength in depth. The difference between Arsenal's first and second choice in many positions is just too big imo. Maybe the January transfer window could change that. Another striker needs to be brought in at least, Giroud can't play every game.

This actually intrigued me so I made a list (it's lunchtime don't judge me).

GK - Schez - Viviano (yeah I agree, need better)
RB - Sagna - Jenko
CB - Mertesacker - Vermaelen
CB - Kos - Vermaelen
LB - Gibbs - Monreal
AML - Santi - Podolski/Gnarbry/Ox
AMR - Theo - Ox
CM - Ramsey/Wilshere - Wilshere/Ramsey
CM - Flamini/Arteta - Arteta/Flamini
AM - Ozil - Santi/Wilshere 
ST - Giroud - Theo/Podolski (agree need another out and out striker)

Others - Rosicky, Diaby (lol), Zelalem, Bendtner, Fabianski, Frimpong

Is that much worse than say the current Man United squad?  Up front for sure but the defense is not awful, the midfield has a lot more options (and is probably out and out better) and there is no transition going on unlike a lot of the other top clubs.
Edited by Captain America

Strength in depth won't mean much after 6 league games and 2 cup games. It'll matter more in January and beyond when injuries kick in, players are knackered and rotation is a must.

On the flipside, big squads at the beginning of the season are also a curse because the managers are trying to give everyone a run out to build fitness and sharpness - and also to help blend in new signings - and there's no cohesion or tactic.

If a team is to go for 4 trophies, then a big squad is integral. Unless you are a team of biological freaks like 2008-2011 Barcelona where nobody except Puyol got injured, ever.

This actually intrigued me so I made a list (it's lunchtime don't judge me).

GK - Schez - Viviano (yeah I agree, need better)
RB - Sagna - Jenko
CB - Mertesacker - Vermaelen
CB - Kos - Vermaelen
LB - Gibbs - Monreal
AML - Santi - Podolski/Gnarbry/Ox
AMR - Theo - Ox
CM - Ramsey/Wilshere - Wilshere/Ramsey
CM - Flamini/Arteta - Arteta/Flamini
AM - Ozil - Santi/Wilshere 
ST - Giroud - Theo/Podolski (agree need another out and out striker)

Others - Rosicky, Diaby (lol), Zelalem, Bendtner, Fabianski, Frimpong

Is that much worse than say the current Man United squad?  Up front for sure but the defense is not awful, the midfield has a lot more options (and is probably out and out better) and there is no transition going on unlike a lot of the other top clubs.

You missed Sanogo.

Good squad, that. Injuries to certain key players could fuck things up, but Arsenal will definitely be title challengers this year IMO. Especially if they bring in a striker in January. Could use a beast of a midfielder, too, a Patrick Vieira type.

People always seem to slag their defence, but Koscelney and Mertesacker together are pretty formidable, Kos in particular has cut a lot of mistakes out of his game and was arguably Arsenal's best centre back last season.

Don't get me wrong I think Arsenal definitely have a better chance this year than the previous few seasons but there are a couple of players ox, podolski, arteta for example who I don't think are quite good enough if Arsenal end up relying on them for large parts of the season. You're right though that if you compare with the other teams you could say they all have issues to deal with. Maybe fewer points will be necessary to win it this year and the odd slip up wont matter as much.

If a team is to go for 4 trophies, then a big squad is integral. Unless you are a team of biological freaks like 2008-2011 Barcelona where nobody except Puyol got injured, ever.

I think it was more that the irreplaceable players never got injured. Messi always played every minute even if it was copa del rey. Iniesta sometimes did but they had more midfield options back then. 

You missed Sanogo.

Good squad, that. Injuries to certain key players could fuck things up, but Arsenal will definitely be title challengers this year IMO. Especially if they bring in a striker in January. Could use a beast of a midfielder, too, a Patrick Vieira type.

People always seem to slag their defence, but Koscelney and Mertesacker together are pretty formidable, Kos in particular has cut a lot of mistakes out of his game and was arguably Arsenal's best centre back last season.

Every game before Arsenal play pundits will talk about how slow Mertesacker is as well.  We get it he's slow but that works with with Kos because he is about as fast as a CB gets.  Mertesacker bosses everything with organisation at the back because that is Schezny's greatest weakness.  I really wish the Casillas or even Valdez rumours had been true that were thrown around in summer.  An experienced leader in goals would make that defense great.

I think Sagna at CB works really well too as he's actually surprisingly dominant in the air and isn't afraid to go in for the headers when he is going to get clattered so I think the depth is there in defense as well.

I agree about the midfield player as much as I think Flamini might be the bargain of the window so far a true world class defensive minded midfielder could really send them over the top.

Saying all this though they are actually one or two players from a proper contender for all trophies squad.

I think it was more that the irreplaceable players never got injured. Messi always played every minute even if it was copa del rey. Iniesta sometimes did but they had more midfield options back then. 

True. Barca have never had a big squad even when the 'fringe' players got injured, and they always seem to do well with avoiding injuries to the more important players. Except for Messi recently, who's been crocked a few times now. They always seem to rush him back as well, and he comes on, limps about and still nets a brace.

Xavi and his old knees do well to play as often as they do too.

Messi was definitely rushed back last season,hopefully they won't make the same mistake this year, I assume they won't since it's earlier in the season and not such a crucial time. Before Guardiola he was actually a bit injury prone I guess partly due to the fact he was still so young and still needed to develop physically. Ronaldo has hardly been injured over the last few years either, I think it;s a big part of why both have been producing the figures with goals that they have.

It makes me very sad to say it but I think Xavi's best days are behind him now. He's still about as safe a pair of feet as you could possibly find but he doesn't turn and move with the ball like he used to and he sometime slows up counter attacks.

To divert some of doom and gloom. How about another XI exercise?

'Beast XI'

Ade Akinfenwa

Lukaku

Stig Tofting

Dean WIndass

Hulk

Roberto Calros

Ivanovic's thighs

George Elokobi. Fucking huge. The picture doesn't do it justice, but his neck is almost wider than his head

article-2106285-11E83605000005DC-111_468

Xherdan Shaqiri is built like a rugby player

201843-xherdan-shaqiri.jpg

Phil Jones, obviously. Look at that chin. It could probably tow a van.

9f08524594140d4ac413b3df6ec968d1.jpg

• Upvote 3