aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

For a brief period after reading the minutes of our fan's forum meeting the other night, I wanted to shrivel up and die. Nobody's interested, so I won't go into detail, but these leeching fucknuts really are ruining our football club.

Wish I'd been born into a Man United family. Life would be so easy.

Aberdeen Football Club has confirmed that Russell Anderson, Barry Robson and Nicky Low have all signed one year deals that will see them remain at Pittodrie until next summer.

Manager Derek McInnes commented. "All three have made important contributions to the season just finished and I'm looking for them to play their part in the progression of the club next season."

Josh Magennis, Scott Vernon and Nicky Weaver meanwhile will not be offered new contracts while Alan Tate has also left the club following the end of his loan spell.

Derek said. "I would like to thank all the above players for their contributions to the club and wish them all the very best in their future careers."

The future of defender Shaleum Logan, whose contract at Brentford expires at the end of the month, is still unclear.

I'm a little sad to see Vernon go, I always held on to a little hope he would return to his first season form one day. 

Me too, although I don't think he'll ever hit those heights at Aberdeen again. It's probably a good move for both him and the club tbh; I said last summer that it was probably time. He didn't look hungry enough anymore IMO, although has had his moments in the last few seasons.

He'll find a decent club that suits him - it wouldn't surprise me if the likes of Hibs or Kilmarnock were sniffing about. Or Rangers. :(

That must surely mean that the Dons are in the hunt for another striker?  Zola can't be first back up for Rooney, can he...?

Hopefully Logan gets signed up - he's been excellent in my opinion.

Of course. Shankland will come back from his loan spell, where by all accounts he's done pretty well.

I think we'll probably look to ship out Zola too if someone will have him. Freeing up wages to sign another reasonably proven striker and therefore having Rooney, McGinn, +1, with Shankland and McManus as backup.

Agree on Logan, but we also desperately need a left back.

Edited by Adam Easy Wishes
  • Upvote 1

Thing is Robertson is really highly rated, i wouldnt want his progress stifled. Suffered with injuries this year, but i think he could be our left back for a good few seasons. We do need back up in that area tho, rumours are we are going for Shinnie, but i really cant see that happening.

Vernon to Dundee is the other i've been hearing, guy wants to stay in Aberdeen as his kids are settled, Dundee just promoted, so it makes sense. Will be sad to see him go, but have nothing but good to say about him, top pro, and highly thought of with the playing staff. 

Zola will surely go, or be released, i cant see him staying for another season. I was actually expecting Anderson to retire, again rumours were he felt his legs were struggling to get him through some games and obviously next year could be more intensive depending on how Europe goes, id think a centre back would be needed, maybe get the guy back from Reading again, Hector, he looked a player.

Hopefully Logan stays as well, i really like him, a proper full back, quick, good with the ball, and pretty fearless. 

Heard that Taylor-Sinclair lad from Partick was on Aberdeen's radar? He's looked good whenever I've seen him. Shinnie would be incredible but might cost a fair wedge. Clark Robertson is a pretty horrific footballer, at this point. Hope he improves but ehh...

Taylor-Sinclair's father and agent hates Aberdeen because we released his son as a child or didn't take him on or something similar. Pretty much a no-go AFAICT.

Pretty much this.

Good luck to the lad though - one of the rare highlights of watching Steven Tweed's hugely-imbalanced rock-bottom Montrose side was watching him develop into a player. Deserves a good move.

There's never been a left back at Pittodrie quite like Richie Byrne.

I sold him a pair of very shit Timberland boots once.  The kind a little ned would wear.

He's a lot smaller in real life than he looked on the football pitch.  Size 8 feet.

You know how bad his shoe choice was when Zander Diamond was taking the piss out of him.

Aside from that, I remember him being unbelievably terrible in a match against Rangers I was at Pittodrie for.  He took a terrible free-kick from the left back position, which he sclaffed pretty much straight to Prso - it somehow came back to Byrne, who then totally miscontrolled it and I think landed up falling over and Prso ran through and scored.  I'm pretty sure Byrne had a hand in another of Rangers' 3 goals that day too.  Bit of a useless lump really.  I always thought Scott Morrison would have been a better choice at left back than Byrne, but Calderwood loved big solid defenders, much more so than ones that could actually play football.

During the couple of seasons when I was a Pittodrie regular he had very occasional blinders but he was usually an absolute donkey. Frequently caught miles out of position and giving the strikers / wingers tons of space.

I always get Scott Morrison and Scott Muirhead mixed up. Which one was it that would spend 90 minutes sprinting up and down the touchline and almost never touch the ball?