aberdeen-music

"Your Favourite albums of 2012" Thread

Lau - Race The Loser

An absolutely stunning, beautiful album and a massive progression from their first two albums.

Honourable mentions to Unwinding Hours - Afterlives and Deftones - Koi Na Yokan as well but really I've been pretty bad at keeping up with new music this year. Didn't even realise Down had released a new EP in the summer! I missed out on riffs!

Japandroids ~ Celebration Rock

Possibly the finest anthemic rock album I've ever heard, every (original) track is a winner, and the songs are played with such enthusiam and intensity, I doubt anyone could resist head bopping along to Fire's Highway.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor ~ 'allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!

I was genuinely surprised to see a new album from Godspeed, and this is a very welcome surprise. Worth it just for Mladic, which is possibly the most visceral thing they've ever recorded.

School of Seven Bells ~ Ghostory

Dreamy guitar sounds and breathy female vocals meant I was always going to like this, as I did their last album. But this is far more accomplished than Disconnect from Desire. The final track has to be a cheeky nod to "Soon" by My Bloody Valentine.

Twilight Sad ~ No One Can Ever Know

Again, they have managed to change up their sound and stay interesting, this time adding synthesisers and putting me in mind of Depeche Mode in parts. I always thought they would end up living in the shadow of the first album, but I can't see that happening now.

Grizzly Bear ~ Shields

This is just a great obtuse records, and what I think is a showcase of a great, intelligent band. Reverb a'ways.

Cat Power ~ Sun

On first listen, I was a bit perplexed as this sounded like no Cat Power album I heard before, with it's slick drum machine and glossy production. I dare say it's the best thing she's done and the appearance of Iggy Pop on "Nothin' but Time" is special.

RM Hubbert ~ Thirteen Lost and Found

I'm not one for biddly, virtuoso playing, but listening to/watching RM Hubbert play the guitar is spellbinding. Personal favourite is "Sunbeam Melts the Hour".

Brendan Benson ~ What Kind of World

Power pop perfection. I saw him earlier in the year at SxSw and he only played one song from this, but I'd have been delighted if he just played the whole thing through. Exquisitely crafted album.

DIIV ~ Oshin

Apparently named after the Nirvana song Dive, they've made a woozy, wooshy, shoegazey, partially vocally albumy.

Allo Darlin' ~ Europe

Twee, pop, girls, ukuleles.This threatens to be overbearing and horrid, like some kind of knitted soft toy that needs to be battered to death to a soundtrack of Slayer, but the overriding melancholy keeps it palatable.

Proper list, now I've had time to think, and by think I really mean I put the contents of my iPod into chronological order and be all like "oh, I forgot that came out this year"

So much great records this year.

Unsane - Wreck

Propagandhi - Failed States

Converge - All The Love We Leave Behind

Peachfuzz - We Are Solid State

Deftones - Koi No Yokan

Creepoid - Horse Heaven

Pig Destroyer - Book Burner

Dirtdrinker - s/t+YNFYNYTY

Godstopper - What Matters

Carson Wells - Wonderkid

Baroness - Yellow & Green

Wooderson - Let The Man Speak

Birds In Row - You Me and the Violence

Joyce Manor - Of All The Things I Will Soon Grow Tired

Blockheads - This World Is Dead

Snuff - 5-4-3-2-1 Perhaps

Shores - Leavening

John K Samson - Provincial

You Slut - Medium Bastard

Japandroids - Celebration Rock

Fight Amp - Birth Control

Min Diesel - Minage a Twa

Kerouac - Heavy Hearted

Still feel like I've missed a few great records.

Air- Le Voyage Dans Le Lune

Ringo Deathstarr- Mauve

RM Hubbert- Thirteen Lost and Found

Goat- World Music

Off!- Off!

Godspeed You! Black Emperor- 'allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!

School of Seven Bells- Ghostory

Sharon Van Etten- Tramp

Japandroids- Celebration Rock

Car Power- Sun

That's probably my top 10, in no order. Other things I've really enjoyed were:

Carson Wells- Wonderkid

The Antlers- Undersea

Porcelain Raft- Strange Weekend

David Byrne & St Vincent- Love This Giant

Bat For Lashes- The Haunted Man

I'm in the process of making a Spotify playlist of ace songs from this year, will post it here when it's done.

I loved...

Islet - Illuminated People

The Men - Open Your Heart

Mountain Goats - Transcendental Youth

Jens Lekman - I Know What Love Isn't

Tweak Bird - Undercover Crops

Ty Segall - Twins

Honorary mentions...

Thomas Truax - Monthly Journal

Errors - Have Some Faith In Magic

Liars - WIXIW

Dinosaur Jr - I Bet On Sky

Chain and the Gang - In Cool Blood

In no particular order:

Purity Ring- Shrines

Polica- Give You The Ghost

The Gaslight Anthem- Handwritten

Hot Chip- In Our Heads

The Twilight Sad- No One Can Ever Know

The Unwinding Hours- Afterlives

Admiral Fallow- Tree Bursts In Snow

mewithoutYou- Ten Stories

Hot Water Music- Exister

I'm sure there's more but i've not bought much music this year really.

Cat Power ~ Sun

On first listen, I was a bit perplexed as this sounded like no Cat Power album I heard before, with it's slick drum machine and glossy production. I dare say it's the best thing she's done and the appearance of Iggy Pop on "Nothin' but Time" is special.

RM Hubbert ~ Thirteen Lost and Found

I'm not one for biddly, virtuoso playing, but listening to/watching RM Hubbert play the guitar is spellbinding. Personal favourite is "Sunbeam Melts the Hour".

Brendan Benson ~ What Kind of World

Power pop perfection. I saw him earlier in the year at SxSw and he only played one song from this, but I'd have been delighted if he just played the whole thing through. Exquisitely crafted album.

DIIV ~ Oshin

Apparently named after the Nirvana song Dive, they've made a woozy, wooshy, shoegazey, partially vocally albumy.

Allo Darlin' ~ Europe

Twee, pop, girls, ukuleles.This threatens to be overbearing and horrid, like some kind of knitted soft toy that needs to be battered to death to a soundtrack of Slayer, but the overriding melancholy keeps it palatable.

all the titles are in bold, how kind

Without giving it too much thought or an order, cos that's for nerds:

Django Django - Django Django

Lone - Galaxy Garden

Happy Particles - Under Sleeping Waves (counting this as 2012 as the physical release only came out this year)

Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d. city

Paws - Cokefloat

Run Walk - Health

Daphni - Jiaolong

Carson Wells - Wonderkid

EP mentions for:

TNGHT - TNGHT

Burial - Kindred

Min Diesel - Mínage à Twa

Lots of mentions of the CW LP. Completely flattered by them all. I’m so, so, so glad people have enjoyed it so much. Seriously, thanks to anyone who has listened to it, bought it or recommended it to someone. It makes me feel warm in my torso.

The unofficial album/tour launch is on the 4th of January at Cellar 35 with Fat Goth, The Shithawks, Smithsonian and Caaps. Do come along J

• Upvote 1

Without giving it too much thought or an order, cos that's for nerds:

Django Django - Django Django

Lone - Galaxy Garden

Happy Particles - Under Sleeping Waves (counting this as 2012 as the physical release only came out this year)

Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d. city

Paws - Cokefloat

Run Walk - Health

Daphni - Jiaolong

Carson Wells - Wonderkid

EP mentions for:

TNGHT - TNGHT

Burial - Kindred

Min Diesel - Mínage à Twa

I bought the PAWS album but it's kinda meh for me. there's some good bits and some pretty boring bits.