3. Django Django - S/T

4. The School - Reading Too Much Into Things Like Everything

5. First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar

6. Grimes - Visions

7. Mark Lanegan Band - Blue Funeral

8. Paul Weller - Sonik Kicks

9. Sweet Billy Pilgrim - The Crown Treaty

10. Michael Kiwanuka - Home Again

Everytime I read threads like this it reminds me just how much stuff I don't get to hear. After a quck glance through this thread I can safely say I have heard or less than ten of the nomiations, and probably heard less than a handfull of those.

I think I'm just stuck in a rut when it comes to listening to new bands etc. Certianly the more obscure ones. Oh well, where's my Slade albums.

In no particular order....

1. The Laurels - 'Plains'

2. The Lost Rivers - 'Sin and Lostness'

3. The Brian Jonestown Massacre - 'Aufheben'

4. Allah Las - 'Allah Las'

5. Beachwood Sparks - 'Tarnished Gold'

6. Ringo Deathstarr - 'Mauve'

7. Tame Impala - 'Lonerism'

8. Ian Skelly - 'Cut From A Star'

9. The Carousels - 'Sweet Northern Light'

10. Lee Ranaldo - 'Between The Times And The Tides'

11. New Candys - 'Stars Reach The Abyss'

12. A Place To Bury Strangers - 'Worship'

13. Spiritualized - 'Sweet Heart Sweet Light'

14. Crocodiles - 'Endless Flowers'

15. Tamaryn - 'Tender New Signs'

16. 93MillionMilesFromTheSun - 'Towards The Light'

• 10 months later...

Ok since this has been bumped let's see what I think of my top 20 a year on. A lot of them I haven't listened to much this year because I lost all my music and have been slow in replacing it all.

Here's my top 20.

A few honourable mentions first, Beach House, Jessie Ware, Lana Del Rey, Tame Impala, Killler Mike, Bass Clef, Voices from the Lake, the xx, Deadbeat

Most of those I just haven't listened to enough yet to properly rank them but I do like them a lot.

20. Daphni|Jialong This still got a lot of play the first half of this year and his DJ set at Primavera Sound is a 2013 highlight.
19. NHK'Koyxen|Dance Classics Vol.1 I should listen to this more, 19 is fair placement.
18. Crystal Castles|(III) Still my fave album of theirs
17. Sharon Van Etten|Tramp I stand by my commments about this back in this thread.
16. Grizzly Bear|Shields can't say this has been on in 2013
15. Legowelt|The Paranormal Soul Love this, it would be higher if I made a 2012 list now.
14. Frank Ocean|Channel Orange placement is probably about right, Pyramids incredible and the clear standout
13. Grimes|Visions gone off her a bit but still a solid album
12. Andy Stott|Luxury Problems I'm more likely to listen to both the 2011 EPs than this but I rank it only just behind them
11. Marina and the Diamonds|Electra Heart See Legowelt comment

10. Yo La Tengo|Fade This is actually a 2013 release so shouldn't have been on the list, it won't get on this years anyway, not been touched since that first month, sadly.
09. Thorunn Antonia|Star Crossed I wish there's been an album like this from this year, 2013 sadly lacking in quality scandipop
08. John Talabot|fin I'm surprised I didn't put this higher, it might have been my most played album last year. It's brilliant.
07. Alex Winston| King Con I'd maybe drop this down a couple of places but not many, kind of a one trick pony but it really hit the spot for me when it first came out.
06. Terrence Dixon|From the far Future Vol.2 I put this too high, I must have given it a few plays right before i made the list because I really cant remember listening to it enough to be so high
05. Ke$ha|Warrior Bloody hell did this get old quickly. If it had been released 3 weeks earlier it wouldn't have got on the list. I think the excitment of the release made me overlook the awful middle section at first, anyway I think 6 or 7 of the tracks are good to great but a lot of the rest is poor with some of it utter garbage, the track with Iggy Pop being the worst offender.
04. The Tallest Man On Earth|There's No Leaving Now I don't think I could ever say anything negative about TTMOE ever. Just brilliant.
03. Actress|R.I.P One of my favourite artists of the last decade, incredible work and his next one is sure to be in a similar postion on my 2014 list.
02. Kendrick Lamaar|Good Kid, M.a.a.D City This hasn't lost any of its charm, outstanding album.
01. Burial|Kindred / Truant+Rough Sleeper As I said below this was cheating, but the music was worthy of it although I think now I'd maybe switch them with Kendrick

Kind of cheated a bit on my number 1 pick, but who cares?

Started thinking about this year's one already. I think I'll list more than 20 this time round. 2013 has definitely been a stronger year than '12 for me.

Edited by Paranoid Android

Ok since this has been bumped let's see what I think of my top 20 a year on. A lot of them I haven't listened to much this year because I lost all my music and have been slow in replacing it all.

Good idea. I'm glad mine was quite a short list despite last year being ace for new music.

Islet - Illuminated People

Japandroids - Celebration Rock

The Men - Open Your Heart

Mountain Goats - Transcendental Youth

Jens Lekman - I Know What Love Isn't

Tweak Bird - Undercover Crops

Ty Segall - Twins

I still listen to all of these on occasion, but the only one that I am playing more than I was initially is Transcendental Youth. It gets better and better. John Darnielle is pretty much the greatest human who has ever lived.

Incidentally, I didn't put 'American Radass (This Is Important)' by Dads on the list last year, despite it being one of my most listened to albums this year. Also, I didn't hear the debut Swearin' album until April or so of this year, but as it was only released in the UK last month, [spoiler ALERT] it'll be on my 2013 list.  COOL THOUGHTS.