aberdeen-music

Who are the 10 Most Popular Local Aberdeen Bands

James Willerby Jnr II

Thanks for the constructive replies for band suggestions. Keep them coming.

The reasons for asking are simple enough ...................

There is no point in laying on a good, large venue in Aberdeen and then inviting along several bands to play to nobody other than their mates or their mums and dads. It looks totally silly in a larger venue to have a just handful of people, it's crap for the bands playing to hardly anyone and it's not going to generate much press or other interest. Far better to try and establish who people actually want to hear and then book them to play. Of course with a few popular bands, you can also add in some lesser known ones.

It's interesting how answers to this type of question always draw out the positive people, who give good useful information, the can-do types and the negative people who only look for what's wrong with the question and for reasons why they can't do it. Good to see the positive responses, keep them coming.

Thanks

James

• Upvote 1

I had aboslutely no interest in replying to this thread as it wasn't going to benefit anyone and i thought your original post was actually fairly innocuous. However, that second post...

I honestly don't know where to start.

You talk about positive people giving you good responses to threads? I don't know you, but you seem to have a very negative attitude towards music. There's no point in putting on unpopular bands? What about just putting on good bands? That you like and want to share with people. Putting on only popular bands, regardless of their quality, is so against what music should be about at this level. Obviously you'd expect this attitude from a major pop label, but you are a new "music promoter." You're like everything that's wrong about music, except on a small, local town scale; where this attitude does not belong.

Put on good bands, that you like, and market/promote it well and people might come. You're going to get nowhere by only putting on "popular bands." Also, I can't imagine Indian Red Lopez, The Little Kicks, Duke and Forest Fires are going to want to play your show. I may be wrong however.

• Upvote 6

Surely a decent promoter with confidence in what they are trying to achieve knows the type of show he/she is trying to sell and how it is likely to fare without resorting to Aberdeen-Music as a sounding board?

oh definitely, but to say they shouldn't be working out if the bands they put on will draw an audience is crazy. unless you are funded entirely by grants or your own bank account, and don't mind losing money on gigs then you have to look at how much people are going to attend the show you're putting on.

oh definitely, but to say they shouldn't be working out if the bands they put on will draw an audience is crazy. unless you are funded entirely by grants or your own bank account, and don't mind losing money on gigs then you have to look at how much people are going to attend the show you're putting on.

OK, I guess my distinction is that a proper promoter will do this in private, you know, because he knows what he doing.

I had aboslutely no interest in replying to this thread as it wasn't going to benefit anyone and i thought your original post was actually fairly innocuous. However, that second post...

I honestly don't know where to start.

You talk about positive people giving you good responses to threads? I don't know you, but you seem to have a very negative attitude towards music. There's no point in putting on unpopular bands? What about just putting on good bands? That you like and want to share with people. Putting on only popular bands, regardless of their quality, is so against what music should be about at this level. Obviously you'd expect this attitude from a major pop label, but you are a new "music promoter." You're like everything that's wrong about music, except on a small, local town scale; where this attitude does not belong.

Put on good bands, that you like, and market/promote it well and people might come. You're going to get nowhere by only putting on "popular bands." Also, I can't imagine Indian Red Lopez, The Little Kicks, Duke and Forest Fires are going to want to play your show. I may be wrong however.

THIS.