aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

Vernon is not terrible, but he hasnt had a great start to the season. Good to see we have played pretty well so far this season, if we can become a little less predictable going forward i think we could have a great season. Shame about Naysmith he really looked the part, but on the plus side we have young Clark Robertson back from injury,

I think Vernon will score goals. He's had 3 chalked off for offside, he's rattled the post and crossbar a few times and he's put a few wide when it would be easier to score. All signs of just being rusty at the start of the season. He's getting into good positions and he's getting the service he lacked last season. Plus he scored against Morton.

Having said all that we can't afford to have fixed most of our other problems and then sit patiently waiting for him to find his form. So I wouldn't mind seeing Fallon getting a shot up front with Vernon coming off the bench. Probably about time Paton got another chance as well after being on loan for the bulk of 3 or 4 seasons. Otherwise what's the point in him being here?

• Upvote 1

Naysmith has looked like a very good piece of business. Hopefully it is only the couple of weeks that he is out. If nothing else, Naysmith will help Robertson develop - I hope Brooner has asked GN to tutor CR, invited Clark into the room and it's gone swimmingly. They'll be in each others' favoured personnel before too long. :cool:

Don't agree that Vernon is terrible, he just needs a strike partner or at the very least someone from the midfield willing to run in behind. He's always isolated yards away from the nearest Aberdeen player and is not a good target man - the ball doesn't stick to him. I was very impressed with Magennis when he came on against Ross County - he's better in the air and much more mobile than Vernon. Paton also did a good job against Man United (albeit a friendly, I know) in the 'target man' role. Would be happy to see Paton get a run too. I just think Vernon almost has this 'undroppable' thing going for him because he has been our top scorer the last few seasons. Possibly time for him to move on, and freshen things up.

• Upvote 1

Everytime Magennis gets subbed on, he does exactly the job Vernon is meant to do. Yet he still sits on the bench. Is our manager completely senile?

EDIT: As for someone from midfield willing to run in behind...they probably would if they didn't think Vernon would lose the ball every time.

I'm sure Paton is still around, and on the bench, for a reason. I have only had glimpses of him on the pitch, so can't really judge, but maybe Craig is giving him another chance?

I don't think it's been said in here yet, but Aberdeen were fantastic on Sunday with the exception of putting the ball in the net. Vernon looks short of confidence and regardless - he does his best work in the box and for long periods he has his back to goal 40 yards out. Would like to see him benched and play with someone like Fallon or even Magennis (yes, really) up front for a bit. Andy Webster had the beating of Vernon all day.

All of this. It was good to see an organised team for once. I don't think many teams will come to Pittodrie this season in search of three points, as I think we are a dangerous side. I'd like to see Fallon start the next game: he looked sprightly and a lot sharper than last season. I think he's worked on his pace a fair bit too, which was seriously lacking last season. At the same time, I think it's important that we persist with Vernon - who is one of our best players IMO - in order to get his confidence back. He's our most dangerous threat in front of goal, or at least he was, and can be again. I'm not convinced that Magennis deserves a shot yet.

Isaac Osbourne was fucking outstanding. As were Mark Reynolds and Ryan Fraser (for his age and experience... and size). I mean, the whole team played well, but they were stand outs for me.

It's so good to have Russell back too.

Reading in the paper that Rangers could make a move for Michael Fink. Why would anyone sign for Rangers at this moment in time?

Filthy £££, I presume!

Fat Sally clearly has no confidence in his ability so has no option to go and buy the league (and the referees, based on yesterday) rather than blend a team together. I hope Forres dig in and get their cup tie at home, give those overpaid merecenaries another uncomfortable afternoon next month....

A weakened Wednesday side just beat Fulham in the Credit Card Cup. They were without Dembele, but other than that, they look to be at full strength. Wednesday fielded an unfamiliar defence with the dreadful Bywater in goal, and the horribly calamitous Mark Beevers at centre back. 1-0. Madine pen for the win. 18 games unbeaten in all competitions under Dave Jones. What a bloke. I think we're going to win all the cups and the meaningless Championship trophy. Easy.

I've decided that I fucking hate transfer windows. From the point-of-view of a fan of a reasonably large club who don't have massive spending power and are vulnerable to having their best players poached by bigger teams, transfer windows are complete dogshite.

"Demba Ba is joining Spurs." "Ba has a clause." "Ba has no clause." "Ba has a clause, but it only lasts until the end of July." "Ba's clause is only applicable to Champions League clubs." "Tiote is too good for Newcastle, off to Man United." "Cabaye's off to Barcelona." "Andy Carroll is coming back." "Tiote and Cabaye won't be there soon." "Carroll isn't coming back." "Ben Arfa, he could do a job for Chelsea." "They'll do well to hold onto Cisse." "Krul for Tottenham." "Coloccini? Valencia need a CB." "Debuchy is coming, rejoice!" "They've rejected our bid for Debuchy." "The Debuchy deal IS BACK ON." "I'm ITK, my brother's dog-walker's fish-feeder works at the club." "ERIK PIETERS SPOTTED AT ST. JAMES' PARK." "Have you heard about Demba Ba's clause?!"

Fuck off and die, transfer window. You're a dick and I hate you. I honestly wish I could fall asleep at the start of the window and wake-up just as Jim White has seen it "slammed shut."

I agree.

I think the window should be open for 1 week in summer and again in January. Get all your business done in that week. No dragging out, no bullshit newspaper shite, no holding anyone to ransom, or looooong drawn out transfer sagas which end up never have been possible anyway as no contact between the two parties was ever made anyway, i.e. Wesley Sneijder to United 2010/11. Just quick business - Club wants player. Bid. Bid accepted. Contract signed. Hold up shirt infront of cameras. Make debut. All in between lunchtime and half past 4 on the same day. Sorted.

• Upvote 2

Wembley FC vs Uxbridge is somehow a real thing live on ESPN right now. Oh my. It's like watching the Highland League but on TV instead of freezing my balls off in Keith or Huntly or some fucking hellhole. Check out this chubber who's playing in midfield for Uxbridge:

A1fSFgSCAAAm703.jpg

Ex-Argentina international and noted cokehead Claudio Caniggia is playing for Wembley FC. What. The. Fuck.

• Upvote 1

Yep, that's Wembley. They are doing a bit of a Notts County. They've appointed Terry Venables as some director or advisor or something, and that then attracted some old has-beens to come aboard. I believe they've got Ugo Ehiogu, Graeme Le Saux, Ray Parlour and former Fulham and USA soccer superstar Brian McBride as well as Caniggia. I think they've got David Seaman in their coaching staff too.

Oh, and Budweiser throw tons of money at them too.

What really gets my goat is that Wembley FC don't play at Wembley Stadium. They need to get that sorted.

• Upvote 1

Reading the Wiki entry for Wembley FC it seems they were part of some TV show that raised their profile and got a money-spinning sponsorship deal with Budweiser? And they have Graeme Le Saux and Ray Parlour. Though, looking at the Wiki entry for their squad, who knows how reliable Wikipedia is...

wembleyFC.png

• Upvote 1