aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

Do you think Pittodrie will be buiser next season if Rangers are not in the SPL and we are sitting second bottom at xmas?

Thats the problem here i think Milne has. On one hand fans are threatening to walk away if Rangers are still included, but its a huge risk to take to assume fans will flock back next year and make up the £1m shortage this will create, not when you see how poor our team really is right now, and how deluded a lot of dons fans still are as to where we are in terms of being competitive with the top 6. (not saying you are btw johnny)

We could kick Rangers out the league, end up with less fans coming through the gates and be in big big trouble before you know it.

Its still bigger than any home game against the rest of the SPL bar Celtic. I remember reading last season that the Dons need 11,000 to break even for a home game, even with lower crowds the huns coming to town takes in 15,000 fans, so we are still looking at the possibility of losing two out of a possible 4 profit making home games.

Aberdeen are only guaranteed one home game vs Rangers every season. So, they take 3000 odd fans with them up to Aberdeen for that game. But what if voting YES to retain Rangers' SPL status loses, say, 500 regular Dons fans from the home gate (likely) x 19 home games, is much, much worse.

Which is why this is such a big decision. On one hand your potentially losing say 500 each home game, or your definitely losing at least one profit making home game and a potentially reduced TV deal. Almost everything about the decsion that has to be made is going to be based on hypotherical things, its a dangerous one for the clubs.

I want Rangers to go down, i think its the right move, and i do think it will benefit the league, but i can see why clubs have not fallen over themselves to condone Rangers already.

We only had 15k for the Rangers match last season.

The Celtic games were worse, 13K and 12.5K.....

I don't think the loss of Rangers will make any difference to our coffers.

Scottish football needs to embrace youth across the board anyway.

We're going to do nothing on the European stage in the current financial climate (and no-one expects to).

Moreover, this gives us a chance to restructure the leagues and voting system to make the whole process a lot fairer for everyone.

In the short term we'll lose one of the bigger clubs, so be it (see Juventus and Fiorentina in recent times in Italy). On the flip side, attendances in the lower leagues will be up considerably if teams are playing 'Rangers' week in week out.

At the end of the day they've cheated for years and caused many other clubs to get into debt (Aberdeen included) trying to keep up with them. If anyone is to blame for the sate of Scottish football I'd suggest it was placed at the feet of Rangers and Celtic.

In summary, fuck them.

So what the fuck's going on? Which "Aberdeen spokesman" had a chat with BBC Sport? If we don't vote "no" to this I'm afraid I'm going to have to buy myself a Cove Rangers scarf...

cove rangers are a bit too close to glasgow rangers for my liking. play in same colours, similar badge, fuck that.

• Upvote 2

As an outsider on the issue, I really hope Rangers are made to start from the bottom, I don't see why they should worm their way back into the SPL just because of the former clubs stature. Clubs should have to pay for wrong doings and there should be no exception just because it's Rangers.

Back to the Euros, surely Fritz will have too much for the plate smashers? Mind you we all said that kind of thing about Greece back in 2004!