aberdeen-music

What happened to our scene?

-HH-

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tam o' Shantie

More non-existing local scene goings on: local producer Yoin signs EP deal with London label Squelch & Clap & a booking agency deal followed shortly after. Big up Yoin!

Another thing that didn't happen is that Dolfinz announced a February tour with PAWS & a 4 track tape release on their record label, CATHCATH . Well done Dolfinz!

I left these boards almost 8 years ago, and now I'm back.

What happened to all the bands and musicians that were on the go back then, our scene just died.

I have kept playing in bands and going to shows, but it was like one night our city was raped of our scene.

I remember all the awesome halloween shows and christmas shows, all the parties we would have.

Has everyone grown up, and forgot who they are?

Hi,

I'd just like to say that the music scene in Aberdeen is still very much alive, you just need to know where to look.

Aside from aberdeen-music.com, which has been a great tool for the Aberdeen music scene for a long time and will continue to be, the Aberdeen Bands project has taken off in the past six months and was founded to help all local musicians and bands get more coverage in the area.

There are so many cliques and 'scenes' in Aberdeen which is great! Not everyone is going to like all of the bands in Aberdeens, the articles that are on the site or even the shows we put on. However, the Aberdeen Bands project will give every single clique and scene a chance to spread their word.

If you're in a band and want an article/interview/spotlight written about you, just drop me an email, I don't favour anyone over anyone else.

Check out this site, it's early days but eventually 99% of bands in Aberdeen and the Northeast will get a full profile.

www.aberdeenbands.com

tom@abzmusic.com

• Upvote 2

There are no small venues for DIY/punx-y sort acts though. Cellar 35 is a no no when the music is of a certain... heaviness, shall we say. We've resorted to putting on shows in our practice space as The Tunnels/Drummonds/Musa/Snafu – whilst all decent venues – just don’t cater to our needs. The practice space shows sound great, and are great, but there are huge problems. A) we don’t have a toilet, so if you have to pee or poo you have to go outside and round a corner to an alley way or down the road a bit to The Noose and Monkey; and B) the only way to fully shut the door is to lock it, and it can’t be left open as we have neighbours who would get sad, therefore we have to lock everyone in during sets, or at least while bands are playing songs. We also aren’t really meant to make a racket after 10pm.

We really need a Cellar 35-esque venue in Aberdeen that will put on our racket.

• Upvote 1

There are no small venues for DIY/punx-y sort acts though. Cellar 35 is a no no when the music is of a certain... heaviness, shall we say. We've resorted to putting on shows in our practice space as The Tunnels/Drummonds/Musa/Snafu – whilst all decent venues – just don’t cater to our needs. The practice space shows sound great, and are great, but there are huge problems. A) we don’t have a toilet, so if you have to pee or poo you have to go outside and round a corner to an alley way or down the road a bit to The Noose and Monkey; and B) the only way to fully shut the door is to lock it, and it can’t be left open as we have neighbours who would get sad, therefore we have to lock everyone in during sets, or at least while bands are playing songs. We also aren’t really meant to make a racket after 10pm.

We really need a Cellar 35-esque venue in Aberdeen that will put on our racket.

Agreed. Aberdeen needs a tiny, shitty tinpot venue. Some horrible scummy room above a bowling alley and beneath another bowling alley, with penetrating damp and stains all over the floors and walls, big enough to hold 60 people and a fuckload of horrid noise. For the punx.

• Upvote 1