aberdeen-music

What happened to our scene?

-HH-

My skills of deduction went like this:

Hockey, hmm...I know Leckie plays hockey, but it doesn't seem like it's him...

*open -HH-'s 'profile page' on ab-music*

Hmm...friends with Tooms and Dan G. Definitely must be in that group of mates...

*checks birthday on ab-music*

Right, so a couple of years younger than me...who back in the day was around, younger than me and in Leckie's peer group?

*to Leckie's FB profile to scout about*

*match birthday with FB birthday*

AND THE REST IS HISTORY

My skills of deduction went like this:

Hockey, hmm...I know Leckie plays hockey, but it doesn't seem like it's him...

*open -HH-'s 'profile page' on ab-music*

Hmm...friends with Tooms and Dan G. Definitely must be in that group of mates...

*checks birthday on ab-music*

Right, so a couple of years younger than me...who back in the day was around, younger than me and in Leckie's peer group?

*to Leckie's FB profile to scout about*

*match birthday with FB birthday*

AND THE REST IS HISTORY

very clever, however...

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure this is the same discussion as was going on when I joined this site in 2003...

Same problems as always:

1. Work
  2. Settling down
  3. Times have changed
  4. The students are away
  5. Bands are generally crap
  6. People have grown weary of it all
  7. People can't afford to go out every night of the week
  8. Only the strongest few can be assed organising anything well
  9. Everyone in Aberdeen has crap taste in music and would rather go to Korova or some other terrible club
  10. Folk expect everything done for them rather than putting in a bit of effort sticking up posters everywhere

I still enjoy playing gigs in Aberdeen. Last couple we've played have been awesome including great after parties.

Can't be bothered with this topic yet again. Don't like it do something about it.

• Upvote 3

I almost thought this was the return of Rinky, but the spelling and punctuation is far too good. If he comes on and calls me a chippy-eating fat bastard who can't play drums, we'll know I was wrong.

As for the thread: times change, people move on, technology/consumerism moves on, no harm in getting a tad nostalgic every so often but no point pining for the old days because they won't happen again,etc....

This thread is mega TL : DR but I think I've got the jist. Frosty is right, if you think the 'scene' has disappeared it just means you're not in it anymore. The younguns will always be doing something you're not cool enough for.

I worked in Drummonds for a good while when I was a student and got a pretty good handle on different 'scenes' - There were generally just two: packed 'kiddy' gigs and sparsely attended 18+ ones. The older crowd would moan about how shit the kiddy bands were and how they missed the old scene. That's just how it works. If it's not early gigs in drummonds, it'll be something else they're up to but the younguns always have a scene. Fuck, Google hangout is probably a venue nowadays.

• Upvote 2

Aye he mouthed off to the opps bench a few weeks ago and one of the other team cross checked him from behind, ref through he was lunging at someone on the bench and sent him off.

I dont think Jordan is playing either, done his knee in apparently, so the team is in big trouble, callum and jordan hold it together most of the time!

I'm pretty sure this is the same discussion as was going on when I joined this site in 2003...

Same problems as always:

1. Work
  2. Settling down
  3. Times have changed
  4. The students are away
  5. Bands are generally crap
  6. People have grown weary of it all
  7. People can't afford to go out every night of the week
  8. Only the strongest few can be assed organising anything well
  9. Everyone in Aberdeen has crap taste in music and would rather go to Korova or some other terrible club
  10. Folk expect everything done for them rather than putting in a bit of effort sticking up posters everywhere

I still enjoy playing gigs in Aberdeen. Last couple we've played have been awesome including great after parties.

Can't be bothered with this topic yet again. Don't like it do something about it.

I like how each item in the list has more characters than the last so at least this thread wasn't a total waste of time :-)

• Upvote 1

I could well be wrong, but just from the way you are wording your opinion within this thread, it seems as if you think bands should be gearing themselves up simply to play in and around Aberdeen as much as possible, and very little else, just for the sake of having some sort of local movement of hand-holding and back-slapping. In my opinion, once a band has established a bit of confidence in their own material, they should be looking to play outwith their hometown as much as possible. Once you’ve played about 9 or 10 gigs in your own town, there’s not really all that much point playing the same songs to the same faces over and over. Perhaps the local scene is lacking because bands have a bit more ambition than playing a 20 minute slot every 2 weeks at Tunnels or Drummonds to their mates and girlfriends, and instead are hopping in their dad’s Ford Galaxy and playing a gig in Glasgow or Edinburgh as often as they can. A band will achieve next to nothing unless they get out and about, because believe it or not, people aren’t going to come to Aberdeen looking for your band. You have to go to them.

I couldn’t really care less about any local scene either here or where I'm from. You, as a band, don’t owe it anything. If you want your band to matter then get out and make it happen. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with the odd hometown gig, but there seems to be far too much irrelevant importance pinned on it as if your band are responsible for keeping the local cycle spinning. Fuck that. It’s a lot more beneficial to spread your band as wide as possible than keep it tucked away in a tiny pocket of the UK where no one will find it, which is a part of the problem. If you really want your local scene to flourish then it thrives on networking, not just local bands playing within it, but bands travelling to play here too, which seems to be severely lacking. Since I moved here, out of all the bands that form in Aberdeen, it seems to only be a very, very minuscule amount that actually get out of Aberdeen and forge relationships with other communities in other cities. If no one crosses that threshold, then no relationships will be fashioned. No bands leave town. No bands come in. Local scene stagnates. Same people playing in the same bands. People get bored. Less gigs happen. Angry man starts thread on the internet about how everyone has let the scene down… etc.

• Upvote 5