aberdeen-music

What happened to our scene?

-HH-

My band has played local shows, other UK shows and european shows.

My post wasn't intended to instigate some sort of bragging, but alright. Well in. Jaunting around Englandshire and the mainland, you must have knocked together a fairly decent network of contacts of people who play in bands and put on shows, from the bands you've shared a stage with and those who've let you sleep on their floors and sofas. Have you ever considered using these relationships to the advantage of yourself and the 'scene' by bringing touring bands up here to play gigs, or arranging gig swaps between your band and their band?

You seem quite eager to slope your own shoulders and pinpoint the blame on bands and even this website, but what is it that you're doing exactly to allow the scene to continue thriving? That's not a dig. It's a genuine question.

Apologies about the guess who, wasn't meant to be like that.

Their were some good points, I do feel that some people as music lovers are guilty of neglecting their local music scene.

True that, bands could do more to fill gigs and also promoters are most likely satuarting the scene now, unlike old days.

I dont owe the scene anything, but i am damn grateful for what it has given me, friends, amazing nights, the chance to ply my limited talent on stage for years. I couldnt give a toss that i have only played a handful of gigs outwith this city, for me its not about bitterness of not making it or anything like that. I am just very proud of what i was a part of, there is no harm in that, or in looking back and remembering what i count as the good old days.

• Upvote 1

this thread is ridiculous.

kids aren't listening to guitar bands, they'd rather listen to fucking dappy.

and all this trying to be mysterious and not saying which shit band you're in but making out you're kind of a big deal is pathetic. what's the point in joining a site to discuss aberdeen music and not talking about your aberdeen based band? no wonder you don't get anyone at your gigs if you don't tell people about them. scene tip no 1, you have to tell people about your fucking band.

sorry, i'm not having the best of days.

• Upvote 3

My post wasn't intended to instigate some sort of bragging, but alright. Well in. Jaunting around Englandshire and the mainland, you must have knocked together a fairly decent network of contacts of people who play in bands and put on shows, from the bands you've shared a stage with and those who've let you sleep on their floors and sofas. Have you ever considered using these relationships to the advantage of yourself and the 'scene' by bringing touring bands up here to play gigs, or arranging gig swaps between your band and their band?

You seem quite eager to slope your own shoulders and pinpoint the blame on bands and even this website, but what is it that you're doing exactly to allow the scene to continue thriving? That's not a dig. It's a genuine question.

I wasn't bragging just clearing up something, it seemed like you were stating that I/my band may just be a local band looking for our city to make us feel great.

Yeah I have had bands from all over europe up in aberdeen to play shows, the ones years ago were awesome. Over the last 2 years I have been running shows and losing money, but I still keep running shows. I want the 30 kids who turn up to see great bands, and not let it all die off!!

My band has played local shows, other UK shows and european shows.

It's like through the keyhole but for bands.

Loyd Grossman "Ticket stubs on the wall ... the menagerie of individuals that make up this group travel Europe playing concerts to discerning gig goers."

Random fact that I just discovered... Loyd Grossman had a short lived musical career as lead singer in a punk band called Jet Bronx and the Forbidden. I believe he may have grown out of it and become a TV presenter...

• Upvote 1

Apologies about the guess who, wasn't meant to be like that.

Their were some good points, I do feel that some people as music lovers are guilty of neglecting their local music scene.

True that, bands could do more to fill gigs and also promoters are most likely satuarting the scene now, unlike old days.

A bit of digging would have uncovered that I am a singer-songwriter who has played something like a dozen gigs in Aberdeen. The biggest of these were supporting Withered Hand at Musa and supporting avant-garde pop singer tUnE-yArDs at the Tunnels. I've played gigs in front of nobody before, mostly open-mics. I'm not old enough to drive. Unless I get me da to take me to Glasgow I ain't going, and I wouldn't really feel comfortable with him there (no offence if he chooses to read this or whatever).

tl;dr: I am certainly not "neglecting the scene".

I dont owe the scene anything, but i am damn grateful for what it has given me, friends, amazing nights, the chance to ply my limited talent on stage for years. I couldnt give a toss that i have only played a handful of gigs outwith this city, for me its not about bitterness of not making it or anything like that. I am just very proud of what i was a part of, there is no harm in that, or in looking back and remembering what i count as the good old days.

That's a good attitude to take. For others, these are the good old days for them. For the ones who choose to play in bands and not get beaten to a pulp in the upstairs of Enigma.

It just seems to have died a little and perhaps some bands have fallen into the trap of 'playing Drummonds/Tunnels every other week and as such, 'fans' or just interested folk aren't attending them as they're on so much - hence you get the dead gigs sometimes.

The city as a whole is quite metal-focussed so I don't agree with the OP's post about 'indie music'.

Obviously the bands that were around 5-10 years ago may not all still be around, but as previously mentioned by others, this is circumstantial.

I know I'd like my band to play a mixture of Central Belt gigs and local gigs - just keeps it interesting and as someone said, people aren't going to necessarily come fm 'down South' to Aberdeen to see you play, you need to go to them.

Guest Gladstone

Okay - HH, you accuse this site of not helping the scene, and then state that the bands listed on the site aren't representative of the scene. Yet, you haven't told us what band you're in, let alone advertised it on this site and you claim to be putting on gigs to 30 kids or whatever but I haven't seen you on this site advertising those gigs.

Now, I know from experience that it's difficult to advertise widely enough and that if you were to only advertise on this site your gigs would be very quiet, but you surely can't criticise this site (which, don't forget is a discussion forum) when you don't actively use it yourself.

Yeah, that confused me, too. Look at the lineup for any Moorings gig, it'll be a metal/hard rock band (with some notable exceptions of course).

Nothing wrong with the Moorings for gigs - it's not my cup of tea, but each to their own.

I just think it's quite limited with what the city offers - The Oxbow Lake Band for example, are a breath of fresh air as I've not heard anything like that before from Aberdeen.

I mean, the main places to play are Drummonds, Tunnels and I guess, the Moorings - Drummonds is ancient and I suppose it serves it's purpose as a venue.

I just don't think it's the same as say, 10 years ago when Lava was about - I just seemed to enjoy it more - perhaps that was more to do with the age I was then than anything.

• Upvote 1

You don't know who I am, do you?

You have no idea of how involved I am, yet you have made statements that I can tell you are b*******

Firstly our metal/hardcore scene is terrible, I'm part of it. I play to 50 kids, I watch shows where their is 20 of us.

Korova is terrible, it is nothing like Moshulu and never will be. It's full of assholes, and people looking fights and no one knows anyone, and has no intentions of meeting new people.

What exactly is terrible about it? The bands or the turnout at gigs?

Metal shows (outside of The Moorings which always has a good turnout of regulars whenever I go) are just poorly attended in general here though. It will be interesting to see the turnout for The Black Dahlia Murder/Skeletonwitch/Fleshgod Apocalypse next month. If The Tunnels isn't packed for that I will lose just about the last shred of hope in the audiences here. Something on that lineup for most people with an interest in heavy music

Guest Gladstone

There are loads of indie bands, rock bands and acoustic acts in Aberdeen as well as a few indie/electro types, folky type and shoegaze type acts. I know more of them than I do metal bands because I'm not into metal bands so don't go looking for them. Well, there were a year or two ago when I was far more involved / had time to actively seek them out etc. I don't imagine they've all disappeared.

There are loads of indie bands, rock bands and acoustic acts in Aberdeen as well as a few indie/electro types, folky type and shoegaze type acts. I know more of them than I do metal bands because I'm not into metal bands so don't go looking for them. Well, there were a year or two ago when I was far more involved / had time to actively seek them out etc. I don't imagine they've all disappeared.

Indeed, just look at the gig announcements forum. Hardly any of that is metal bands.

To be honest (and please don't hate me for this) I think there are more metal/hardcore bands than there are FANS of metal/hardcore bands in this city.

I think you are right, even for what I would consider 'big' metal bands (ie signed to a well known label, loads of touring experience with several critically acclaimed albums) half of the audience has been the bands that were supporting. One particular gig springs to mind, and that was promoted a lot more than just the usual facebook invites that seem to be the norm these days.

Guest Gladstone

Yeah - I'm not saying there are more indie etc. bands than metal bands or that there aren't a lot of metal bands - there seems to be loads of metal bands, but I'm just not interested, so don't take any notice of that genre.

RockAustin - how's your funk "scene" coming along? Are you still putting on regular gigs and getting good turnouts?

Don't let the name fool you I'm all about the funk!

The nights were really good for a while. Local nights were a lot better attended than the bigger names. I have to say that some of our promotion was poor but we also had some seriously good nights. No regrets, learned a lot.

I stopped promoting after I ran my bank account into the ground and the band I was in fell apart. I now play and write with a great group of musicians, two of whom I am in the process of setting up a Label with. 2012 will be a good year for Soul, Funk, Jazz and Hip Hop in Aberdeen/Scotland in general.

For anyone interested in Funk, there is a night going on in 99 this Sunday. If you like Taco & the Sharpies then you'll like this as it's pretty much the same group of guys minus me. It'll still be amazing.

Okay - HH, you accuse this site of not helping the scene, and then state that the bands listed on the site aren't representative of the scene. Yet, you haven't told us what band you're in, let alone advertised it on this site and you claim to be putting on gigs to 30 kids or whatever but I haven't seen you on this site advertising those gigs.

Now, I know from experience that it's difficult to advertise widely enough and that if you were to only advertise on this site your gigs would be very quiet, but you surely can't criticise this site (which, don't forget is a discussion forum) when you don't actively use it yourself.

You're right I have never used this to advertise my gigs or band. I generally have posters in Captain Toms and venues, along with facebook events as most people are using this day.