ca_gere

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gladstone

The Steven Milne Band - STEVEN MILNE | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos

In Atlanta - In Atlanta | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos

Dead Robots from Fife - Dead Robots | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos (saw them at Mambo's last year and they were really really good)

Three Knots - Three Knots | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos

Curators (Edinburgh) are well worth checking out.

Why thank you!

Off the top of what's been said already, I'd add in Taking Chase, Shields Up, Cancel The Astronauts and Penguins Kill Polar Bears. There are doubtless more I've forgotten too.

Guest Gladstone

No idea if they still exist, but when I was doing a bit of promotion a band from Glasgow called "You Can't Eat The Word Food" sent me their album and it was pretty fucking good actually. Pop-tastic in a good way.

I've not been going out to a lot of gigs recently but planning on changing that in the coming months.

This is a good idea for a thread, needs to be brought up regularly just to remind folk groups are out there working hard. I still like a singular location for hearing about local bands which is really my main reason for looking on here regularly, oh yeah and the equipment forum and maybe for the funny pictures thread for the occasional laugh. I have also found some excellent musical collaborations through the networking forum too. So actually, for me, there are elements of this site that are still relevant over social networking sites.

Having posted up some tracks and gotten almost no response other than a few people who already knew about them before posting, there seemed like little point in going to the effort but then realised that I'm crap for feeding back thoughts as much as anyone. I made a point the other day of leaving some sort of feedback on several posts for the tracks I'd listened too in that forum. I actually found something good in most of them, even genres I would normally avoid. Having said that, lack of feedback could be down to the genre putting people off listening to my stuff, I'd normally avoid anything with Metal in the thread title so expect most people are the same when they see jazz/funk/hiphop.

It's good to make the time to respond after listening, even if it is a "meh... yeah that was ok". Any sort of constructive response can be beneficial.

What ever happened to Toy? I fucking loved Toy. They were great.

Good bands: Turning Thirteen, Curators and El Dog from Glasgow are the shizz.

I can't remember the name of their group but the lead singer from Toy and, I think, Kimmy Reizeger from this forum have an acoustic duo that are pretty damn good! Anyone know the name?

I guess it can be a bit dick-feeling inducing. But if noone gives any feedback it's an entirely useless exercise.

The 'scene' here is too big to really get a grasp of. There's about a million different niche scenes. There's a noise festival this wknd for example and they're expecting thousands to turn up. Basically anything has a good turnout and a strong following. Not been to a single empty gig. The hip-hop is incredible here. It's a cliche but you can feel it in the air, hip hop culture just permeates through everything in Brooklyn. Well, certain parts anyway.

Williamsburg up the road is some next level hipster paradise. Trendy bands aplenty. Funnily enough, the more gigs I go to the more i've come to realise how important scottish music is. You speak to a lot of people and they often cite scottish bands as their favourites.

Turning 13 would love a gig in Brooklyn, even just for the holiday..:cheers:

Having posted up some tracks and gotten almost no response other than a few people who already knew about them before posting, there seemed like little point in going to the effort but then realised that I'm crap for feeding back thoughts as much as anyone.

I also rarely comment on the feedback forum. I think it's that I don't feel I'm qualified to, yet I want people to comment on my stuff.

I'm going to look for your stuff and have a listen.

Deportees are a really strong local band but I'm yet to hear a recording that does them justice. Absolutely brilliant live though. I especially enjoy them after a few pints and a fatty.

Thanks man. Hopefully our new single will do us justice! It's out on the 4th July, and should hopefully be available to stream next week. :)

Carson Wells and Copy Haho are probably the two bands at present that I would make an effort to go and see. Turning 13 too, actually.

Why thank you :) Aren't Hideous split now Jake has moved?

They're on the bill for Slaughterfest IIRC, so I'd guess they've gone part time. davidm might be able to clear that one up.

Glad Filthpact are back up and running. Wish that Strobing Goat and Sidca still were, but you can't win them all! Thrashist Regime are a good laugh live, got time for Carson Wells and Min Diesel too.

I don't get to see too many gigs nowadays either, mind.

Hi, Hellhouse are new on the Aberdeen scene so names not out there yet. were a 3 piece that play psych-rock.

HellHouse | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos <------have a listen

Were playing the moorings tonight, if you like the music come along and say hi

Hellhouse

Really enjoyed this and i was stone cold sober! Did you leave any kit behind?

Snake Temple Kings and Palmer Elridge Band for me as well.

Alright folks,

I've only recently returned to the area after about 3 years away, so I'm not that up to speed with what's going on. What I can do though is recommend a couple of bands that supported the successful Lucid Dream gig the other week.

The Carousels are followers of country music and The Byrds etc. Their three piece harmonies and Rickenbacker sound were really really good. Check out their new single here:

Call Along The Coast by thecarousels on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Also, check out His Name Is Codeine, who arguably stole the show at The Lucid Dream gig. Mega praise was heaped their way and rightly so. Intense, dark, menacing sound. Think The Black Angels with a female vocalist. They've really stepped up their game. Unbelievably good. Check them out here:

HIS NAME IS CODEINE | Elgin, UK | Alternative | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

Keith's obviously nae just got Chivas Regal to be proud of...!!

Cheers