aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Was about to post how much of a disaster this was but Man Utd have penalty now. Offence was on the 18 yard line though so probably should have been a free kick. Fabio needs shot for standing still for the 3rd goal, no way Muniain should have got to that first. They still need to win by 2 goals away though to get through, no chance if they play like this again!

What does everyone think of the Podolski signing? I don't watch German football at all so no idea about his play but his scoring record is fantastic.

2nd goal was clearly offside on the replay but in real time I didn't spot it. I must apologise for slandering Fabio when it was clearly Rafael acting like a passenger for the 3rd goal. Boot decision was a bizarre one but the shocking defending was a bigger part in the goal than the referee.

It proper gets my goat when ex-pros and the like playing pundit, who get paid to now talk about football, can't pronounce players name. Graham Taylor on Channel 5 just now is unbearable. He's pronounced Llorente's name about 10 different ways so far. Double L is a Y. Yorentay. Not Lorentay. Not Lorento. Stop it. Stop it. Stop it.

Pat Nevin's at it now. It's basic Spanish. I bet he pronounces it Villa-real too, the fucking cretin. Pat Cretin.

To be honest "Llorente" is a very difficult name to pronounce, since it isn't a "y", it's a kind of "ly". The sound doesn't actually exist in English. Gie the man a break ken.

If I were Lorrentinho Lorrento, I'd stick with the Spanish game. They made United look shite.

Rafael was bollocks for that 3rd goal. Totally terrible. Have a look around before you shepard the ball, you bellend. Still. It came from a quick punt up the field from a free kick which I don't think should have happened. The rules state correct equipment should be worn, but that rules needs a bit of common sense applied to it. Young was in alot of space on Evra's left, but since his boot came off, he squared it to Rooney and moved away to but his boot back on. The last time I saw the game stopped because of a missing boot, a "drop ball" was given and possession booted back to the team who had the ball before the game was stopped. To award a free kick to the opposing team just a few seconds after the boot came off from the friction of a tackle is incredibly harsh.

Robbed.

Internationals killing the game?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17303941

I'd say too much money and spoon-fed footballers are killing the premier league.

Playing for your country should be the pinnacle of any footballers career.

Sadly it's all about the benjamins these days. Can't wait till the English Premier league collapses, I think the championship will be first though.

Controversy aside, I thought last night's game was brilliant. There were a few phases of end-to-end play, but Bilbao looked excellent. I've been a pretentious, know-it-all Bielsa fanboy for a while now but that's the first time I've seen his Bilbao for a full 90 minutes. Good-ass team, but exhausting to watch: so much pressing. They have some excellent players (Llorente, Muniain, Martinez... total gangsters) and they're so exciting to watch. After Udinese ballsed it up against AZ last night, I hope Bilbao win the whole thing.

6 years ago today Middlesbrough beat Roma 1-0 in the UEFA Cup. Look at us now!

Jimmy Floyd won a pelanty for us. After the game he talked to a local (to 'boro) journalist who asked him "so did you dive there or what?". Jimmy says "on the record: his foot came in and it caught me" *pauses* "off the record: of course I dived". Best guy.

I'm going into nostalgia mode here so by all means stop reading but my favourite goal of his was in a match against Newcastle at the start of the 04/05 season. I was watching the match in a pub in Leeds (The Eldon for those who've been there) with my dad and uncle who were visiting me. It was 2-1 to Newcastle entering stoppage time and they were looking dominant after Shearer had scored a penalty to put them ahead. Finally we managed to get out of our own half with Zenden bursting down the wing. He put in a cross to the far post where Jimmy dived in to head the ball home only he couldn't get his head on it. Thankfully he'd dived with his left arm stretched out in front of his head so he ended up punching the ball into the back of the net. Newcastle defenders start moaning (rightfully) but the ref hadn't seen it. GOAL STANDS. 2-2. Went home happy.

• Upvote 1

Aye, it was a great game last night. The production was bloody awful though, but what can you expect from Ch5!? I lol'd when they cut off Sir Alex about 40 seconds into his interview because they were "out of time".

I pretty much support Athletic Club now.