aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Guest Gladstone
Can we get back to discussing football boots please?

Anyone else think the mid-90s 'blade stud' revolution was entirely unnecessary? I always went back to a solid 4-at the back, 6 at-the front rounded molder.

Disagree. I've had blades ever since and look where it got me.

Can we get back to discussing football boots please?

Anyone else think the mid-90s 'blade stud' revolution was entirely unnecessary? I always went back to a solid 4-at the back, 6 at-the front rounded molder.

Blades were actually quite dangerous and caused a lot of injuries, my old club banned them after a few folk got bad injuries, they reckoned they were due to blades.

Blades were actually quite dangerous and caused a lot of injuries, my old club banned them after a few folk got bad injuries, they reckoned they were due to blades.

Yup, a lot of local school clubs did this too, could gash up your calves pretty badly. The "blades" that exist now aren't as sharp as they used to be, I think.

Guest Gladstone

Do you mean in terms of getting tackled by someone using blades (in which case it's not the blades that are dangerous but the tackles...) or do you mean people getting blades stuck in the ground and twisting ankles/knees?

I've never heard of either to be honest. I've had less problems with blisters etc. on my feet since using blades, but I have always put that down to the adidas predators I started to wear.

I always saw blades as a sort of "in-between" screw in studs and moulders. I could never afford two pairs of boots but playing football in Scotland almost meant you needed a pair of each. Screw-ins for when it's soaking wet and muddy and moulders for pretty much all other occasions (because I got ridiculously sore feet with screw-ins when the ground wasn't soft). I always just ended up using moulders which weren't great for grip when it was wet, but blades were always good in all conditions so following that "revolution" I've never bought a pair of studded boots. Always blades.

Guest Gladstone
Yup, a lot of local school clubs did this too, could gash up your calves pretty badly. The "blades" that exist now aren't as sharp as they used to be, I think.

I've had cut legs from studded boots in the past. It's not the blades or the studs that are the problem, but the dickhead wearing them and tackling you with studs showing and going over the ball.

Do you mean in terms of getting tackled by someone using blades (in which case it's not the blades that are dangerous but the tackles...) or do you mean people getting blades stuck in the ground and twisting ankles/knees?

I've never heard of either to be honest. I've had less problems with blisters etc. on my feet since using blades, but I have always put that down to the adidas predators I started to wear.

I always saw blades as a sort of "in-between" screw in studs and moulders. I could never afford two pairs of boots but playing football in Scotland almost meant you needed a pair of each. Screw-ins for when it's soaking wet and muddy and moulders for pretty much all other occasions (because I got ridiculously sore feet with screw-ins when the ground wasn't soft). I always just ended up using moulders which weren't great for grip when it was wet, but blades were always good in all conditions so following that "revolution" I've never bought a pair of studded boots. Always blades.

Not-biased-at-all article on blades http://www.footy-boots.com/ban-bladed-football-boots-for-englands-sake/

Did anyone see Joe Hart getting aggro at Sinclair before the penalty on Sunday? It made it feel like an NBA game with all the trash talking they do. I bet he was saying "Get yo' goddamn junk outta my D, son'bitch!" before smashing away his lay up. Or something. Ben Foster tried a little bit of the same against Rooney, but Rooney smashed it in, and gave Foster the "get to fuck" glare. It looked like he was going to lay him out. I hope penalty trash talking becomes a more prominent thing. Swinnnnng batter batter batter batter. Daaaaaaaaaryllllll. Etc.

I thought this was excellent on the part of Joe Hart. Absolutely nothing wrong with it and it totally worked. There should be more of this in my opinion.

It was more to do with the boots not having enough give in the ground when players were turning and due to the blade damaging peoples feet on too hard surfaces. That ontop of they were deemed more dangerous than studs if they connected with another player, a blade on the shin at full force was more likely to break the bone than a stud would because of the shape.

edit - see fox's article!! lol

I thought this was excellent on the part of Joe Hart. Absolutely nothing wrong with it and it totally worked. There should be more of this in my opinion.

Distraction tactics are ace. Not the timewasting like cleaning your boots on the posts like what Barthez used to do, that is just unsporting. However, a bit of trash talking and Grobbelaar dancing is just testing your opponents concentration and mental strength and that is an integral part of football so it's fair game.

I remember one by Peter Schmeichel when he was at Villa (or maybe City) where just as the player started to make his run up, Schmeichel points to one of the corners and yells "I'm going there!" and the player ended up hoofing it wide. That was pretty great.

Van Der Sar used to stand right over the penalty spot and back pedal one step at a time for ages, as it seems to be that when a penalty is delayed for ages, the player bottles it, so he'd take his sweet time. I remember he got booked for it against Liverpool though, and Self Defence Stevie scored it anyway.

I loved Hart's trash talk though. It looked like he was saying "What ya gonna do? You only get one!" I noticed he also stayed on his line. Keepers have a thing of stepping into the penalty off their line these days, but he just got down low and went right across his line. Top geezer. Seems like a good lad too. Still hope he wins fuck all though, the Blue cunt.

Guest Gladstone

I've noticed an awful lot of keepers coming off their line before saving penalties recently. It was highlighted in the African Cup of Nations when a penalty had to be re-taken but then almost every penalty after that one, the keeper stepped off his line and nothing was done. I noticed Brown for Aberdeen stepped off his line before the penalty was taken on Sunday. The assistant is standing looking right along the line too, but does nothing. It's a rule going the same way as the foul throw...

EDIT: I think I'm right in saying that at some point in the 90s the rules were changed with penalties. It used to be that keepers had to stand in one spot, two feet on the line until the penalty was kicked. Hence the Groblaer (no idea how to spell his name...) wobbly knees to put players off. But then they changed it so that keepers could move along their line but not forward. Am I imagining this? They changed a load of rules when I was a kid, confusing the fuck out of everyone. The backpass rule. Who remembers football without the backpass rule!? Then they introduced the backpass from throw-ins rule. Then they started to really fuck with the offside rule which has got to the point now where not even Alan Hansen understands it and he knows everything about defending.

I know, it's a shame nothing is being done about it. Same happens for a free kick, the wall is never 10 yards away. The referee puts them 10 yards away, then they all tiptoe forward, or players charge the ball down before it's been played. I'm a stickler for the rules. I hate it when they are broken. OBEY THE RULES!

Guest Gladstone
I know, it's a shame nothing is being done about it. Same happens for a free kick, the wall is never 10 yards away. The referee puts them 10 yards away, then they all tiptoe forward, or players charge the ball down before it's been played. I'm a stickler for the rules. I hate it when they are broken. OBEY THE RULES!

Charging free-kicks down has never been done as well as that dude from Zaire. I think it was Zaire. Fucking awesome - playing in the World Cup and not having a clue about the rules of football.

• Upvote 1

Talking of Hart psyching out the Swansea penalty taker reminded me of Leicester's Paul Gallagher's interesting penalty style. Back to goal until the whistle blows, walks away from the goal then turns round sprints at the ball and blooters it. You can't psyche out the back of his head. I think he's quite successful with it.

Oh here's one:

Good article! I've always wanted to examine the Zaire story a bit more. I guess it makes sense when you remember the fact that when you translate Zaire's dictator at the time's full name into English, it means:

"The all-powerful warrior who, because of his endurance and inflexible will to win, goes from conquest to conquest, leaving fire in his wake."

In Bed With Maradona is such a fantastic blog. They're always looking for contributions. I'd love to have a go, but my football ramblings wouldn't be to their standard. I'd probably find someway of shoe-horning in some Liverpool hatred, even if I was writing about non-league South American street football or Eastern European hooligans.

After watching that Zaire video, I kept watching more and more football videos, and ended up at a compilation of Steven Gerrard's dives. I fucking well hate Liverpool. I can't wait for Moyes' Boys to dick them up the arse tonight, good and proper. Shit bastards.