aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

You do realise this stuff is peddled out every two years so that there's an excuse for not winning the tournament, right?

We definitely won't win, but it would be nice to go to a tournament without the rest of the world shining a light on the England players for being racist love-rat thugs.

Where's all the football niceguys gone? Peter Beardsley would be turning in his grave, if he was dead. But he isn't. He's probably not angry through, because he's Peter Beardlsey. The only person more positive than Pete is Santa Claus himself.

Also, did you throw "San Marino" in for a laugh, as some kind of "ha ha you're shit" sick burn?

I like England more than most international sides and I generally cheer for them unless they're playing Scotland or a team with interesting ideas. I'll be glad when the likes of Terry and Cole are out the door as they're some of the most unlikeable personalities in football.

I think they could probably make the semis, depending on who they're drawn against. Spain, Germany and the Netherlands are obviously stronger. Italy are a strong team under Prandelli and had an excellent qualifying campaign: they're not a team of world-beaters any more but they're far better than a couple of years ago. Portugal? Meh. France? They'll be better in 2014.

Ukraine, France and Sweden is exactly the kind of group that can give England trouble though. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they beat France then lost to the other two.

Out of curiosity, who would you pick for the XI?

I would probably get chortled at, bit I genuinely don't think England currently have a better performing left winger than Jarvis this season, so he's in! Fuck Ashley Young. One good game. Ten shit ones. Injury. Repeat.

Hart

Richards, Smalling, Lescott, Baines

Parker

Wilshere, Cleverley

A. Johnson, Rooney, Jarvis

It probably wouldn't win it, but that line up is so much more energetic than the consistently pedestrian "golden generation" of 30 somethings with no guts, and I'd much rather see this team go out and give it a good go and get knocked out with a bit of pride, then watch the usual suspects jog around and generally underachieve. The above team have all got a greath work ethic and are good ball players. They could keep it on the ground or get it into the box. Could do with a few "big lads" but I can't think of any that are worthy of a place. Where's Tom Hundredstone? Phil Jones could play the anchorman I guess, and can bomb forward too. He's just clumsy as fuck.

If he continues to be a good performer, I'd take Oxlade Chamberlain for wing options, as well as Ashley Young, even though I don't like him, he seems to play well for England. Bent goes too, for switching to 4-4-2. Carrick's been ace for the past 3 or 4 months, so he'd be on the plane.

Rooney is a colossal bastard, but he kind of has to go, doesn't he?

I'd probably bin the old guys too. I think England could benefit from looking at what Prandelli is doing with somewhat unremarkable players in Italy. I have a mate who reckons Jack Rodwell is the new Makelele and Stewart Downing is better than Gareth Bale. Mental. England have some talented players coming through but not many who look like future superstars, so it makes perfect sense to pass the torch now and move on to the new generation.

From that XI, I'd put Sturridge in for Jarvis and probably Jagielka for Lescott. I want to say I'd take Cleverley out too, but I have no idea who'd go in his place...

He is a terrible person but I still dont think Baines is half as good defensively as Cashley.

Cashley has to start at left back still in my opinion he also seems to give a shit for England even throughout the times when they were awful forcing Fat Frank and Gerrard to play together. He actually looked like the only one that really wanted to be playing for England.

EDIT: I agree with Murrr too. Too early for Cleverly still only played 10 games for Manyoo this season and he was good on loan last year but not totally brilliant. Take him in the squad but he doesn't start for me.

The team you picked

I would pick similar, but I wouldn't let Lescott near my team, I don't know where you got the idea he has been good from as he has been terrible. Here is my young, exciting, will smash everyone team, only parker defending, everyone else roaring up the pitch.

Hart

Richards Smalling Jones Baines

Parker Wilshire

Ox Cleverly Johnson

Rooney

Only dropping to a 4-5-1 when england are 6-0 up.

The plodders hopefully won't be getting picked. Gerrard, Barry, Lamps, Rio, Terry. It's over.

We'll win it all if Matt Jarvis gets picked. Seriously good. Seriously underrated. The white left footed Valencia.

Last stand for a lot of the plodders this tournie I reckon. After this one a new manager will come in and bin alot of them and replace them with some fresh blood.

Lescott is patchy, but I think he's done good this season. I like how mobile he is for a centre back, and is good with the ball. I like ball playing centre backs. No time for hoofers. He's also got very good movement in the box when he is attacking a set piece. His goalscoring record from set pieces is quite impressive. I'd chalk that up to his excellently mobility.

I think Jagielka is the better of the two, but he's not had the best season, and been hampered with a few injuries. I'd take him though. Jones and Cahill too.

It probably is too early for Cleverley, but do England have any more advanced attacking midfielders other than Wilshere, without bringing the old guard back? For the sake of shipping out the fogies and injecting a bit of enthusiasm, I'd take Cleverley. He's not had a big test at United yet, but he's been excellent for 3 years for Leicester, Watford and Wigan, and he started the season with aplomb. He's got what it takes.

Arsenal 7 Blackburn 1.

Taxi for Kean.

After the transfer window? Who are they going to get to replace him? No one is going to leave any job to take on that mess, the venkys are the real problem there. I'm not saying Kean is a good manager or anything but the whole situation at Blackburn is dire.

He's had good results recently up until that. It's only one game, they just need to move on.

• Upvote 1

The sensible head says give him until the end of the season, but when have football fans ever been sensible? They've have been screaming blue murder at him all season. They'll be all like "Look at what O'Neill's done at Sunderland. If we get a new manager that could be us". They'll probably go down anyway so it's probably worth a punt on a new manager and getting the "new manager" effect.