aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

I get the debate as to whether he should play centre mid or striker, but everyone seems surprised at how well he played in centre mid against a pretty mediocre team. He's up for world player of the year, he's an all rounder with great energy. He was always going to be a good centre midfielder. He is probably worth more to Man Utd up front though.

Didn't you post a few pages ago that you didn't think Rooney should be in the England squad for Euro 2012?

Who needs Wayne Rooney up front for England when Andy Johnson is playing like this? Another great goal. Defenders looked like they shut off for half a second but that was a very clever free kick and nice dink over the keeper.

Also..... Samaras starting a match? That's when you know you have a crisis. Somehow they are winning though :O

Guest Gladstone

No Jan - I definitely didn't say that!! I would have him in the squad everytime - he's by far their best player. I asked if everyone else would because some people were talking about on the telly.

Samaras gets a tough time. He is frustrating because he is genuinely talented but doesn't show it often enough. But that was a fairly average by Samaras standards performance tonight and he was probably in Celtic's best 3 or 4 performers, setting up 2 goals. The second assist was really good. Thought Celtic were actually quite shit tonight, giving the ball away an awful lot, but a good win nonetheless, especially after losing such an early goal. Kayal and Wanyama aren't a great centre mid pairing because they both seem to just be ball winners but their distribution wasn't great. We need to sign Wayne Rooney.

I recently discovered my old flatmate, who I consider one of my best friends, is from a big "Celtic family" from Northern Ireland and calls Martin O'Neil and Neil Lennon "family friends." He was actually drinking with the latter a couple of weeks ago in Glasgow. You think you know someone, eh?!

The Meldrum Otter is a prominent feature in Oldmeldrum. You can see it on the coat of arms on the Town Hall. The story tells that, one day, a message arrived from the palace to say that the king and his courtiers were coming to visit the town of Oldmeldrum. The people of Oldmeldrum immediately set to work making preparations for this very important visit. They threw out all their rubbish, they scrubbed and cleaned their homes. They mended everything that was broken and polished up their manners.

On the day of the visit, the Laird of Oldmeldrum, who lived up at Meldrum House, rode out as far as Aberdeen to welcome the royal party. When the royal procession crossed the River Don at Dyce disaster struck. No one really knows what happened as it all happened so quickly, but for some reason the king’s horse stumbled and the king was thrown off balance. His golden crown toppled off his head and fell into the deep, dark waters of the River Don.

The king bellowed in distress and anger! Bystanders were trembling in fear. In those days kings had the power of life and death over their subjects. Everyone stared into the water. No one moved. There was a flash of movement just rippling the surface. Everyone watched. There was an almost silent splash, and up out of the water popped the gleaming head of an otter - wearing a crown on its head. The king knelt down and gratefully removed the crown. Legend has it that the king was so impressed by Oldmeldrum and it’s people that he granted them the honour to use the picture of the otter as their special emblem. The ash tree branches remind us of St Nathalan, a Christian missionary, who was the first person to teach the people who lived here about Jesus. When a plague came he prayed on his knees all the way round the parish boundary.

The people were saved but Nathalan died from exhaustion. An ash tree, called the parcock tree marks the spot where he died.

I think Andy Johnson deserves an England call up. Looks like that alleged racist John Terry is going to be called up but I do believe in innocent till proved guilty. Thing is I don't think they will be able to prove it one way or the other. All we hear is people moaning about too many fixtures yet England playing two friendlies! Hate international breaks no MOTD for don't get out much types like me!

My team are away at Mansfield this afternoon - tough game wonder if we can keep up our impressive early season form? Kinda wish I was going now!

I guess some of the play offs could be interesting but really I couldn't care about the international break at all. Although seeing England get some rings run around them by Spain will be fun. Bad timing too. After a busy spell I have absolutely nothing planned for that weekend. It would have been perfect for a weekend crammed with football.

Andy Johnson definitely doesn't deserve another England call up. Scored some terrific goals the other night, but his scoring record is very poor overall. 3 goals in about 30 games last season. He's kicking a bit of arse in Europe, but the only opponent really considered as any sort of threat to a side like Fulham is probably Twente. The rest have been of a pretty awful standard, and it's no coincidence he can't replicate it in the league. If anyone should be recalled, it should be Danny Murphy. He's better than Barry and Carrick. I'd even up the ante and say he's better than Lampard. I've got a lot of love for Danny Murphy, even though he's a bin-dipper.