aberdeen-music

The Royals

I support the monarchy and a royal head of state. For no reason other than that it's British tradition innit. (Oh yeah and I consider myself British first and Scottish second, but that's a discussion for another thread). Though apart from the Queen and those directly in line to the throne (ie Charles and William), I couldn't give much of a fuck about the rest of them. And speaking as a monarchist, I couldn't give two squirts of piss about the wedding.

I support the monarchy and a royal head of state. For no reason other than that it's British tradition innit.

That's pretty weak.

I consider myself British first and Scottish second, but that's a discussion for another thread

Oh, okay.

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/general-discussion/64879-lucky-rathen-considers-himself-british-first-scottish-second.html#post896732

It is annoying to put up with, but it must be bringing in a shitload of money/tourism.

True, there were some American fuckwits on the telly last night who were coming to Britain just for the Royal Wedding.

More cash but I'm inherently against the idea of someone obtaining some sort of position of authority simply through birth. If you work hard and achieve something, good for you, but being born a Prince or whatever, fuck off.

That said, I tolerate the royalty on the basis that they are basically window dressing with zero power and they are good for opening hospitals or garden centres etc. A bit more concerning when Prince Charles starts poking his nose into politics, but I'll keep a weather eye on him before launching armed insurrection.

Guest Gladstone

The Royal Family neither puts me up nor down really. I used to be completely anti-monarchy because of all the money for nothing they all get, but I think it probably does generate money for our economy with tourism and the like, and events like the royal wedding.

I feel a bit sorry for them sometimes - I wouldn't want to be born into that life. Yeah, being loaded with zero effort will have its plus side, but the media attention the likes of Prince Harry used to get when he was about 18 - going out and getting pished and doing daft things like 90+% of the 18 year old population in this country do would be totally shit.

A debate on media attention with celebrities often ends up down the route of "if you choose that career / lifestyle, then you have to put up with the media attention". Prince Harry (or any other royal you choose to mention) didn't choose that life, and I'm sure Harry and William would much rather have been born into a "normal" household where there Mum didn't get killed in a car crash trying to evade media attention when they were just little kids.

For some reason, I've managed to spectacularly avoid all the royal wedding hype - hopefully I can keep that up on Friday as well, although I think I'll be fighting a losing battle with that one...

Guest Gladstone
They're all dead posh aren't they, and all posh people are pricks. Amirite?

Whcih makes you a prick because you're from Banchory and we all know that Banchory is full of posh people.

And also that all you guys are getting a holiday! What's that all about?

Losing a day's wage when your workplace closes to mark the occasion. Unimpressed. Will be glad when it's over. Apparently it's going to rain. Pah-hah!

On the upside, Tony Blair and Gordon Brown are not invited which conjures up images of them standing outside in the rain gazing forlornly into the party like that bit in 'Trading Places' with Dan Ayckroyd outside the restaurant.

Losing a day's wage when your workplace closes to mark the occasion. Unimpressed. Will be glad when it's over. Apparently it's going to rain. Pah-hah!

We're getting it as an extra paid holiday. But as is with all bank holidays, we have the choice to work them and save the day for later. Which is what I'm doing. So I'm glad there's all this fuss over the wedding to be honest.

They are a disgrace, and an archaic throwback to a less enlightened time. I have nothing particularly against William and his burd but the very concept of Monarchy tilts me hard. The fact that their wedding is funded by the general public (who are supposed to be grateful for a day off work in return) is embarrassing.

It is over issues like this and the fact that we in Scotland have to stick a Consevative government because England is fucking stupid and voted for one once again underlines my point from the other thread about how I have no connection with Britishness, beyond geography.

The Queen can go suck a fuck too.

They are a disgrace, and an archaic throwback to a less enlightened time. I have nothing particularly against William and his burd but the very concept of Monarchy tilts me hard. The fact that their wedding is funded by the general public (who are supposed to be grateful for a day off work in return) is embarrassing.

It is over issues like this and the fact that we in Scotland have to stick a Consevative government because England is fucking stupid and voted for one once again underlines my point from the other thread about how I have no connection with Britishness, beyond geography.

Pah. If not for the English, you'd be fighting over who gets to drive the community tractor as you try to keep yourself warm by burning last year's currency.

Search for:

Posts by username "Christy".

Containing the word "disgrace".

Results: 1820

:love:

Erm... what?

I'm saying that without the political counterweight of England keeping the pinkos out we will descend into some kind of marxist hellhole banana republic very quickly.

Without the bananas though, obviously. Unless hothouses are a priority in our first Glorious Five Year Plan.