aberdeen-music

The Royals

Guest Tam o' Shantie

totally bizarre that folk should hate them because of their privelage. they're the motherfucking royal family. it's not like you can look at them and go "arggh, it could have been me!" we have had a royal family for many many centuries. they're possibly britain's most famous export. they're not going to just disappear so why fucking worry?

consider now the actual millions of privelaged fucks who ARE actually getting handed the best jobs, the powers of political influence, going to the best schools and maintaining the circle of life for the very connections that keep their families, friends and aquaintences in the same position. the folk who are floating into these lives while brilliant, hard working young people with no money are being screwed over. not to mention your average joes like me! THAT's the type of privelage that I consider a fucking disgrace. not one single family of toffs at the top who are largely irrelevant to anything that actually affects my life in this country.

consider now the actual millions of privelaged fucks who ARE actually getting handed the best jobs and maintaining the circle of life for the very connections that keep their families, friends and acquaintances in the same position

How are these two separate issues? In a society which celebrates institutionalised privilege based upon the vagina you exited why shouldn't people receive the best jobs and positions based upon the very same principle? To remain entirely consistent should that inequality not also be celebrated?

• Upvote 1

Anyone who is born into more privilege than I was is a scumbag who the country could do without.

Anyone born into less privilege than I was and makes a success of theirself is an admirable member of society.

Anyone born into less privilege than I and who is content / trapped in those circumstances is scum who shouldn't be allowed to breed.

xx

Guest Tam o' Shantie
How are these two separate issues? In a society which celebrates institutionalised privilege based upon the vagina you exited why shouldn't people receive the best jobs and positions based upon the very same principle? To remain entirely consistent should that inequality not also be celebrated?

Might wanna run a syllable check on that one dude and listen to some basic logic.

The royal family's position as royals is something which cannot possibly change (without a fucking revolution or something), and is a position which nobody else in the country could ever have a chance of ever occupying! Furthermore, we're talking about a handful of people here. Speaking as a relatively normal member of society, I've never felt 'robbed' that I could have been a prince, if only I had had the right connections?

Meanwhile I get to watch rich people hang out with their rich bosses and get all the best jobs from under the noses of people like me because their dads are well connected. I see students with rich parents who can't even be arsed attending the Uni courses my taxes help to fund applying for hardship grants and bragging about spending the cash on inane luxuries. I see a political system almost entirely populated by public schoolboys offering legs up to other public schoolboys, who turn a blind eye against INSTITUTIONALISED fraud against the British taxpayer. Not to mention everyone in the music, film or fashion industry. I know someone who is living in London and currently completing a three year unpaid internship at a major fashion label to land herself a job there.

How can you possibly think that these two both affect the average joe in the same way?

Might wanna run a syllable check on that one dude and listen to some basic logic.

The royal family's position as royals is something which cannot possibly change (without a fucking revolution or something), and is a position which nobody else in the country could ever have a chance of ever occupying! Furthermore, we're talking about a handful of people here. Speaking as a relatively normal member of society, I've never felt 'robbed' that I could have been a prince, if only I had had the right connections?

Meanwhile I get to watch rich people hang out with their rich bosses and get all the best jobs from under the noses of people like me because their dads are well connected. I see students with rich parents who can't even be arsed attending the Uni courses my taxes help to fund applying for hardship grants and bragging about spending the cash on inane luxuries. I see a political system almost entirely populated by public schoolboys offering legs up to other public schoolboys, who turn a blind eye against INSTITUTIONALISED fraud against the British taxpayer. Not to mention everyone in the music, film or fashion industry. I know someone who is living in London and currently completing a three year unpaid internship at a major fashion label to land herself a job there.

How can you possibly think that these two both affect the average joe in the same way?

Ah right, institutionalised privilege is only a bad thing when it gets in the way of your personal aspirations and since you've never wished to be a Prince the Royals are okay with you.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Ah right, institutionalised privilege is only a bad thing when it gets in the way of your personal aspirations and since you've never wished to be a Prince the Royals are okay with you.

yes...why the fuck would i care otherwise?

yes...why the fuck would i care otherwise?

Because as one pro-monarchist put it they are a British tradition. They are an institution and a symbol of this nation. So you have to ask yourself what that symbol stands for: that receiving power, position and privilege through birth, regardless of merit, is Majestic.

As for the lesser Royals and lesser noble families that no one gives a hoot about people should really ask themselves where those people are and what they are doing. They attend those same Universities and public schools you were talking about and since the public don't finance them directly they take jobs in the music, film and fashion industries. Some of them work today as journalists, or bankers or even as the Chancellor of The Exchequer controlling the finances of the entire country and deciding how much money you'll get to keep in your wallet this month. And for those who have no interest in being elected there's always the Lords.

And what of this institutionalised fraud against the British taxpayer? Isn't that their right? The system is designed to protect and serve the Crown and the feeling of entitlement is a virus.

And since you'll never get in the way of their personal aspirations why the fuck should any of them give even one squirt of piss for your perceived injustices? You're far too busy fighting with those lowly middle classes to even register in their minds dahling. ta ta.

Guest Gladstone

I've always found people moaning about other people's privilege a bit boring to be honest. I know it exists in abundance, but our country is far from the worst.

People really just need to get on with things. You can achieve an awful lot with hard work, effort and application. I come from a family of bakers, and had fuck all money growing up, but had a good solid, stable family home with lots of moral support and that sort of thing. I worked my arse off at school and got good grades to get to uni - did the same at uni, and got myself a good job with a good law firm, did the same there, and now have a good job as an in-house lawyer at an oil company, and get headhunted every now and again for jobs in London, the Middle East etc. I've never had a leg-up from anyone because none of my family's friends or associates are in this world - they're generally bakers or tradesmen of some sort. I didn't fancy that for myself, so I worked at finding a different career and got it.

It's a very "British" trait to knock others for what they've got instead of just going out there and getting a slice of the action for yourself.

I don't really give a fuck about them either way. A lot of people in the country seem to be enjoying the whole wedding affair so let them eat brioche. Thankfully nobody that I'm associated with has any interest although I suspect my girlfriend is secretly excited. She's taken the day off to "get her hair done".

• Upvote 1

Couldn't give less of a piss about the wedding, the royal family or the "institutionalised" nature of the whole thing. It's the fact that this wedding has been ALL OVER THE NEWS for the past two fucking months. It's as if we're all chafing at the bit to see these two strangers tie the knot, and I can probably guarantee that it'll be roughly half and half if you surveyed the country.

Couldn't give less of a piss about the wedding, the royal family or the "institutionalised" nature of the whole thing. It's the fact that this wedding has been ALL OVER THE NEWS for the past two fucking months. It's as if we're all chafing at the bit to see these two strangers tie the knot, and I can probably guarantee that it'll be roughly half and half if you surveyed the country.

Probably about the same amount of people as would give a fuck about the Olympics which will get similar coverage. No complaints from me.

We didn't get the day off but it's showing in the board room and there's a good atmosphere around work today.