aberdeen-music

Do Women get Men?

Benji

Well if more of you* devoted your time to toppling the patriarchy, rather than reading about some cellulite on some shlebs earlobe in BellaOKLookathershesaBitch Mag, then you might make some more progress.

Y'don't see Ms Greer worrying about such guff, she just goes for the jugular

Or have you been co-opted, HAVE YOU!!

*the birds, that is**

**Not all of them, but very, very many

EDIT Ah, serendipity, just read this 5 mins after posting,I'm not immune to the lure of celebrity gossip, but it harms us to read this bilge | Laura Barton | Comment is free | The Guardian always a good writer, particularly on music; Laura Barton + Hail, Hail, Rock'n'Roll | guardian.co.uk, even though I usually don't like the music she loves, her writing captures the best things that music encapsulates.

Well if more of you* devoted your time to toppling the patriarchy, rather than reading about some cellulite on some shlebs earlobe in BellaOKLookathershesaBitch Mag, then you might make some more progress.

Y'don't see Ms Greer worrying about such guff, she just goes for the jugular

Or have you been co-opted, HAVE YOU!!

*the birds, that is**

**Not all of them, but very, very many

EDIT Ah, serendipity, just read this 5 mins after posting,I'm not immune to the lure of celebrity gossip, but it harms us to read this bilge | Laura Barton | Comment is free | The Guardian always a good writer, particularly on music; Laura Barton + Hail, Hail, Rock'n'Roll | guardian.co.uk, even though I usually don't like the music she loves, her writing captures the best things that music encapsulates.

:up:

There was a good piece in the Guardian following the Keys/Gray scandal by Elizabeth Day that raised a good point. Here it is:

Why sexism is no laughing matter, despite what the boys might say | Society | The Observer

There was a good piece in the Guardian following the Keys/Gray scandal by Elizabeth Day that raised a good point.

While I agree that male to female sexism is not funny, this really pisses me off.

It is a perception underlined by the rush of (mostly male) cultural commentators who opined forcefully last week that men, not women, were now the true victims of sexual inequality. Columnist Giles Coren pointed out that women "are allowed to say the most terrible, terrible things" about their male counterparts and get away with it. Coren cited the example of comedian Jo Brand, who when recently asked what her favourite kind of man was, on Have I Got News For You, replied: "A dead one."

But the difference between Jo Brand and Andy Gray is arguably the power structure around them.

Female to male sexism is totally unacceptable as well and by saying "it is ok because...." just doesn't cut it.

It is simply just not ok from either sex.

Female to male sexism is totally unacceptable as well and by saying "it is ok because...." just doesn't cut it.

It is simply just not ok from either sex.

You're absolutely right, and I think the article is off the mark in saying that the difference between the sexist remarks made by Gray and Brand to be 'power structures'. There's no justification for it, but much in the same way that men are less likely to report instances of domestic abuse by their female partners or rape I think they're probably less likely to report sexism or acts of sexual harrassment. Could be because they're worried about being seen as less 'masculine' as well as a whole host of other issues that are down to both male and female perpetrated sexism.

although' date=' in a country where [is'] a 10% pay gap, there is arguably still some way to go

Because of the types of careers women tend to pursue.

Pay gap between men and women rises as girls are stereotyped into careers | Mail Online

BBC NEWS | Business | Reduction in UK's gender pay gap

The difference in pay was the largest in the skilled trades category - a wide sector that includes everything from plumbers to florists - where the gap reached 26.2%

So the next time your toilet backs up you might save yourself a lot of money by simply calling a florist. No point solving a problem when you can make a feature out of it.

:up:

There was a good piece in the Guardian following the Keys/Gray scandal by Elizabeth Day that raised a good point. Here it is:

Why sexism is no laughing matter, despite what the boys might say | Society | The Observer

Got about half way through that before the words I was reading just turned into a woman's moaning voice going "meh meh meh meh-meh, meh meh meh meh-meh, meh meh meh meh-meh"

• Upvote 1

I can see where she's coming from. Getting paid less and having your period brought up as a joke is pretty out of order. But what's that about page 3 girls being iconic? I think they're only icons to those who want to become glamour models. 'Cause I don't iconize any of them. Is that a word? There's no red squiggly line underneath.

And why couldn't that women laugh at the "you don't want to be beaten by a woman" joke. My friend is homosexual. And he was beating me at CoD and he said "haha you're getting beaten by a poofter" and i went "i'm never living down getting beaten by a gay" and a merry time was had. It's meant in jest and in those instances then yes, people need take it on the chin as it was just a joke. When it comes to not getting equal jobs or pay or bringing up some sort of sexual thing, yes that shit is bad. But when things are such OBVIOUS jokes it just takes the piss to make such a hurra about it.

I make the can't drive joke all the time. To my girlfriend. But only when I see said person having trouble/crashed is a woman. I never assume a bad driver is a woman. I make the JOKE that that person is driving badly because she is a woman once I can see that it is, in fact, a woman. I also make this joke to my mum as she can't park worth a shit.

The guy at the work made a joke about my hair as it was getting a bit long. It was like "You can't be doing welding with that hair do you'll go on fire" We laughed.

If it was said to a woman* we'd have another massive article in the Guardian.

*Woman being the "can't take a joke woman should be equal but secretly i think we're better lifes not fair for me even though I have more than the average person" kind of person, although there are some exceptions.

There's a fine-line with the 'banter/all having a laugh' thing. Like you said, you and your mate were both involved in the banter regarding CoD and were both laughing about it. I joke with my brother all the time about my sexuality. However, just because it's fun with him doesn't mean it's fun with everyone.

If a group of men start making what could be construed as sexist jokes with a woman around and she is visibly uncomfortable or isn't laughing, then she's got every right to complain to them. The same if it's a group of women making fun of a man. Like I said though, there's a fine line and I think it's something everyone shoould be more aware of regardless of gender.

Tbh I think the article was largely spot on.

Men calling women they don't know 'sweetheart' and the like gets on my nerves because it's really condescending. As does men ogling women and shouting shit like 'get yer tits oot!!!', it's out of line and inexcusable (although I think that the women who DO get their tits oot at such requests are more at fault for this shit continuing to happen than the idiots shouting are).

That said, this woman claims that using the expression 'the money shot' when discussing the key point of a business strategy is a sexist term. Because of this; she has lost my respect and my interest.

I make inappropriate, sexist comments to my friends and loved ones whom I feel safe around in the knowledge that they know I'm as open minded and liberal as anyone (I also act like a total dick on the internet, who doesn't?)

If sexist remarks are made among friends, in private, or or otherwise out of the public eye; frankly, who the fuck cares? It was meant to be a private conversation. If someone looked in my window at home and saw me wanking I wouldn't expect a fine for indecent exposure.

I get that a lot of men have attitudes towards women that need to be addressed, but a lot of people have the same (and worse) opinions of gays and anyone of a different ethnicity and no amount of articles in the guardian will change the minds of these fucktard cretins. Having said that, I still believe that anyone on the recieving end of such racism or sexism has every right to put as many articles in as many public forums as they can (within reason)

xx

There's a fine-line with the 'banter/all having a laugh' thing. Like you said, you and your mate were both involved in the banter regarding CoD and were both laughing about it. I joke with my brother all the time about my sexuality. However, just because it's fun with him doesn't mean it's fun with everyone.

If a group of men start making what could be construed as sexist jokes with a woman around and she is visibly uncomfortable or isn't laughing, then she's got every right to complain to them. The same if it's a group of women making fun of a man. Like I said though, there's a fine line and I think it's something everyone shoould be more aware of regardless of gender.

This. This is a point I was trying to make. Only you made it much better than I did.

xx

I agree. But the girl with the email thing said she thought about it then didn't. Well speak up and say you're uncomfortable. Don't go making a big fuss about it in a newspaper when you could say to your boss you're not happy with the jokes. Don't gimme none of this too scared to tell shit. He/she can't fire you for being uncomfortable. Grow a pair.

I was going to go with "Grow a back bone" but I thought the phrase I used was much more appropriate in some way.

Stroopy, she did it better 'cause she's a girl.

Fair point love. A less fine line between harrassment and 'sexist' jokes in my opinion. Although this is all in my opinion and in my opinion some jokes, comments etc. are just too tempting to resist. Really with shit like this youve got to use some common sense and be selective about who you say certain things in front of. If you get called up on racism or sexism its your own damn fault for misjudging the situation/person. You know how easily offended people can be.

I'd be visibly uncomfortable if people started talking about emus because they scare the living shit out of me. Can I lodge a legitimate complaint about this?

That's a really good point about the term manflu. It's the same when women think men don't know what pain is because they don't have to suffer through childbirth or have periods. In fact, there's a lot about gender inequality that fucks me right off after reading up on it over the past few years as part of my PhD. Until people stop thinking of it as a 'Battle' of the sexes however then there's never going to be a fair, level-headed debate. Women don't need to get one up on men and men don't need to get one up on women. There needs to be a level field, but this whole 'men v women', 'battle' mentality just seems to ensure it's never going to happen.